Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

power converter

Old 10-08-2003, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power converter

which is the best to buy for the money? and where to buy it? also, about how many things can you run off of it. thanks
Old 10-08-2003, 08:58 AM

I've never seen a "top quality" consumer level power inverter... they all are about the same quality - good. I'm sure some professional level inverters are super high quality, but at the consumer level, most are about the same. It will depend on the size of the inverter how much you can run off it. It will also depend on what you are trying to power. Different things require different amounts of power.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

I had a free one socket inverter, had never gotten around to it unitl Isabel knocked out the power and I had nowhere to charge my laptop and phone except while driving. I did an easily removable install in less than an hour, and was charging the above all week.
After that I did realise that my desire to get the big ole multiple socket inverter was overkill, I had intended to install this tiny one for so long yet I had almost never had a use for it, though I had visions of running circular saws and TV's in the woods, it is almost certain that this will not happen.
I found Home depot had some apparently decent ones for much lower price than expected, and incremenmtally inexpensive for the beefier model, $40 for 3 sockets/ 400-500ish watts. If I didn't have one already, that's what I would get. I doubt I would ever use all 3, but if I ever needed the Watts/Amps, you have to get one with many plugs.

If you want to go REALLY top end, get one designed for an RV, they can run more than you will ever fit in your truck, but will likely require an extra battery.

Last edited by dajabr; 10-08-2003 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:25 AM

1st you need to know what your wattage needs will be.

If a small one will work, just shop around. I picked up a 250W unit at Harbor Fright for about $25 3-4 years ago.

If you need BIG, shop at RV parts houses.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Costco! They have 2 kinds a 400watt inverter and a 1000watt inverter. The 400 is about $30 (I think) and the 1000w is about $80 (I think). Absolutely great price on either one.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto to what Robinhood said. I bought my 400W inverter from Sam's Club for around $30. Check out my expandable distribution fuse box + inverter solution (a la Corey):

http://www.4runners.org/articles/dist

Bob
Old 10-08-2003, 10:36 AM
Nam

What kind of devices are you thinking to run off of the power inverter? I think most consumer-level are about the same. Good luck,

Nam
Old 10-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

thanks guys.. now all i need is someone who is a member for sams club or costco to get me one!
Old 10-08-2003, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

I believe Costco has some type of special going on 400/800W Power inverter and carry case for $25-30 or something?

Anyone else see this?

Doink:
If I go to Costco anytime within this week I'll try to pick one up for you
Old 10-08-2003, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Taco dude-

seriously? that would be very cool. i could send ya a check or something
Old 10-08-2003, 08:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Double ditto to Bob and Steve. I ended up with a 1000W inverter from CostCo for $80. Unbeatable price.

Since I've gotten it, I've run a jigsaw (building sides for a flatbed trailer) and a blender () off of it and just love it.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by doink
Taco dude-

seriously? that would be very cool. i could send ya a check or something
Sure thing. Don't start praising me just yet though... I saw it last month. Might be history now.

I'll let you know as soon as I do.

EDIT:
I'll let you know as soon as I find out, that's what I meant...
Old 10-08-2003, 09:44 PM

I found a Travel Power 800W/1100W inverter at G.I. Joes last year for $39.99 and that was the best deal that I had seen.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
Sure thing. Don't start praising me just yet though... I saw it last month. Might be history now.

I'll let you know as soon as I do.

EDIT:
I'll let you know as soon as I find out, that's what I meant...
Peter;

If you don't have any luck, I'll pick one up here for him. They's had LOADS of them for the past few months and they're keeping them in stock.

Lemme know!
Old 10-08-2003, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome
Nice to have backup
Old 10-09-2003, 05:11 AM
CTB

Hey guys,

I think I may be checking into an inverter here pretty soon. Are there any precautions/mods that need to be done to the stock wiring to run a 400/500W inverter, or can the stock wiring and electricals handle it just fine? Just curious, as I am not the brightest when it comes to electrical components.

Thanks guys-

CTB
Old 10-09-2003, 05:49 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Cody, check out my write-up in the Tech section under electrical.
Both mine & Bob's are in there.

Bob & I have the same converter, and it's 400/800 watts peak.
Nice unit for charging digicam & cell phone batteries, power drill batteries, ect, and running small things.

If you want to utilize the full potential of the unit, you will want to hard wire it like I did, and skip the plug in that goes to the cigg lighter.

Mine as you will see in my article is wired to my stereos distribution block with 8 gauge wire which can safely handle the full wattage it's capable of making.
They recommended 10 gauge if you hard wire it, I choose to go with 8 since it fits right into the amps distribution box.

If you don't have a distribution box setup like I do, you can always run a fused 8 gauge line from your battery, through a firewall grommet, then back to wherever you decide to mount the unit.

I like it back where I have it, and it's easy to get access to, and out of the way.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:43 AM
CTB

Originally posted by Corey
Cody, check out my write-up in the Tech section under electrical.
Both mine & Bob's are in there.

Bob & I have the same converter, and it's 400/800 watts peak.
Nice unit for charging digicam & cell phone batteries, power drill batteries, ect, and running small things.

If you want to utilize the full potential of the unit, you will want to hard wire it like I did, and skip the plug in that goes to the cigg lighter.

Mine as you will see in my article is wired to my stereos distribution block with 8 gauge wire which can safely handle the full wattage it's capable of making.
They recommended 10 gauge if you hard wire it, I choose to go with 8 since it fits right into the amps distribution box.

If you don't have a distribution box setup like I do, you can always run a fused 8 gauge line from your battery, through a firewall grommet, then back to wherever you decide to mount the unit.

I like it back where I have it, and it's easy to get access to, and out of the way.
Hey Corey,

Ya, I saw your inverter install back when you did it, and thought it was great. However, adding the distribution block got me a little worried (I'm about at the point that I need to add one, but just wasn't sure I knew what I was doing). I'll check into it some more...worse comes to worse, I'll just plug it into my cigg lighter whenever I need to use it. Thanks-

CTB
Old 10-09-2003, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

I'll just plug it into my cigg lighter whenever I need to use it.
I always blew fuses when doing this, lost radio/clock etc on that fuse, even with my little 150 watt single socket sucker. Clipped off the cig plug and crimped on terminals, one closed circle one forked. To install I push the circle terminal into an open + blade clip on my aux fuse block, then loosen the ground bolt right next to it, slip in the neg fork terminal and it's done. First time I wasn't paying attention and reversed polarity I blew the 30A fuse in the inverter, but that's much easier to replace and shouldn't happen again. The whole thing comes out fast too, just remove the kick panel and pull out the two terminals.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:30 AM

If you are planning to run anything that needs "clean power" be careful of cheap converters. I used a $40 converter to run my laptop in my car. The power block on the computer got VERY hot running off the converter. It was never even warm on household 120V. This is because it puts out square wave rather than sine wave. If your'e running power tools or lights it won't matter. Just be careful long term effects on electronic equitment. Pure sine wave converters are more expensive and can be bought at marine suppliers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: power converter