Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Power!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power!!!

Hey, I need some power for my '87 4runner, 4cylinder. It's embarrassing pulling from a red light. Anyone have any ideas to put some power into my truck? It's in desperate need!
Old 05-23-2004, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

What tranny?
Exhaust upgrade, header to tip.
Cam.
Intake.
Those are the easy and best bang for the buck.
an engine swap is also good, and lots of choices.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

I'm in the same boat. I did install a cone filter intake and got some hp. I am also plaining on droping about $300 on exsost (magniflow mufler and hi-flow cat) which should give me at least 5 more hp, hopefully a lot more. Other than that???? I'm looking for more ideas. I have heard the headers are a pain in the a$$ and tend to have leakes. That's just what the parts store guy said though.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by bike4miles
I'm in the same boat. I did install a cone filter intake and got some hp. I am also plaining on droping about $300 on exsost (magniflow mufler and hi-flow cat) which should give me at least 5 more hp, hopefully a lot more. Other than that???? I'm looking for more ideas. I have heard the headers are a pain in the a$$ and tend to have leakes. That's just what the parts store guy said though.
What brand of cone filter?
Old 05-23-2004, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Best mod you could do for power would be a turbo. Inline 4s are relatively easy to turbo. Just gotta get a manifold and downpipe and the rest is downhill.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cjrl
What brand of cone filter?
The one I got was off ebay that siad "TRD" even though it isn't but at any rate, it can be had with the addapter for $15 and it was a huge improvement over my $50 K&N drop in filter. Just search for toyota filter and you will find a bunch. Not sure if the same addapter works on the older toyotas though. Anyway, here it is:

Installed:

(I had to make the aluminum brackett that holds up the air flow meter in the pic.)

Last edited by bike4miles; 05-23-2004 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bike4miles

If you get cheap headers they may leak, or if they are instaled wrong.
Get a good set and they are worth the extra HP.
When you do a cone filter, make your own intake out of pvc and rubber boots from a hardware store. do a search to find out how. It is a lot cheaper and easy. I went with a downey K&N system it looks pretty but was $250ish and could make one for about $20.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RED 85
If you get cheap headers they may leak, or if they are instaled wrong.
Get a good set and they are worth the extra HP.
When you do a cone filter, make your own intake out of pvc and rubber boots from a hardware store. do a search to find out how. It is a lot cheaper and easy. I went with a downey K&N system it looks pretty but was $250ish and could make one for about $20.
I'm interested in that PVC mod. Have a link to that thread? Found the Downey intake piping on thier page for over $200! that suchs.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

found this it might help
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...ark_engine.htm

Same idea for the other side just find boots to fit over throttle body and pvc and pvc to MASS and filter to fit on Mass and clamps to hold on.
Havn't done it my self but saw it some where and will try to find it.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

Turbo!!!
Old 05-24-2004, 02:27 AM

Don't the turbo motors run less compression?

Originally Posted by Praufet
Best mod you could do for power would be a turbo. Inline 4s are relatively easy to turbo. Just gotta get a manifold and downpipe and the rest is downhill.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FSRBIKER
Don't the turbo motors run less compression?
Yes, so you'd have to keep the boost quite low (around 5-6 psi).
Old 05-24-2004, 06:32 AM

If you need low end torque, you don't want a turbo. They take a little bit to spool up, especially if you go offroad. You don't want to be crawling up something and hit the rpm and have the engine race on you and take off at a bad spot. Supercharger would be better for 4x4 offroad orientation, instant power at the pedal.

I got the pacesetter header for $170 and haven't had any trouble out of it, but make sure to use the stock gasket. I used the pacesetter gasket and it blew out on me after 2 months, replaced it and now its just fine. It goes down to a flowmaster (the best muffler in the world) 40 dual out. I've had this setup for about 1 1/2 yrs.

The PVC thing isn't hard at all. I used black ABS piping though. 3" piping, a couple of elbows, and you can cut down one of the stock rubber couplers to make a tight connection. Its pretty easy.

You can also do away with the EGR. Its an independent system that just puts exhaust back into your intake air. Just unhook it and plug up the holes. I haven't had any problems with this and runs a lot better.

Is that cone filter and adapter that much better that the drop in K&N?

The engnbldr.com people sell 2 types of camshafts on ebay for like $70 and I've heard real good things about them. I've also seen TRD cams on ebay. Of course everybody makes a cam for it though.

My order of operations is:
1. exhaust (its gotta be able to breath in and out easily first)
2. intake
3. cooling system (making it hotter, you gotta keep it cooler)
4. ignition system (you need to burn what ya got first)
5. cam and iternals (now you can throw more fuel to the fire without a problem)

This just seems logical to me for power building.

You do have to remember that your truck is set up and geared for low-end torque, not off the line speed, so I wouldn't expect too much from it in that area. But don't get me wrong, they can be quick.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

No offense but you if you size the turbo right there should be almost no lag. Sure if you run a t3 you'll see some lag, but you could goto a junkyard and get a t25, mitsu td16g, or any other smaller turbos which would easily produce the 5-6 psi the motor could handle while still having not having any noticable lag.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by motrhedx81
Is that cone filter and adapter that much better that the drop in K&N?

My order of operations is:
1. exhaust (its gotta be able to breath in and out easily first)
2. intake
3. cooling system (making it hotter, you gotta keep it cooler)
4. ignition system (you need to burn what ya got first)
5. cam and iternals (now you can throw more fuel to the fire without a problem)
Thanks for the good info, and yea, that cheep cone is way better than the k&N. I didn't notice any diference when I droped a K&N in the box but when I took out the box compleetly, the gain was definetly noticable. I will have to look into that cam and I think I mihgt try that egr thing but when you put a brether in the valve cover, do you do the same with the other end of the stock hose that normanlly goes to the pcv valve? I never was able to figure that one out.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:31 AM
apc

Bike4miles,

What modifications did you have to do to use that adapter and filter? Did you have to seal off the "canister" where the K&N drop in would have went, or do you remove it completely?
Old 05-24-2004, 09:37 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Exactly how is the home tinkerer gonna get the boost and mixture right? How long do you think acceptable engine life should be anyway before the pistons melt? ETc. There's a reason why properly engineered solutions aren't cheap.

There used to be a supercharger available for the 20R and 22R motors. Haven't seen any in years though. But you can get some very nice hp from that motor without forced induction. Try a cam and header (in my experience the NW Offroad triY works wonders) and and exhaust system.

CJRL- you didn't give any details of your ride, but the first thing I thought of when I read you first post was "What size TIRES are you running?" If you've upsized your tires - think gear swap.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation

Look here and see what you can do with a 22re they have a nice kit for all the basic upgrades in the EFI section. Its called the EFI power pac and comes with header, cam, big bore throttle body, filter system all for $895.

TCR

Old 05-24-2004, 10:12 AM

Bike4miles.... I didn't exactly catch that. There is the intake tube running from the throttle body to the MAF box, and a smaller tube running from the EGR to the MAF box. I just took all of that tubing out. Just plugged up the holes from the EGR tube, one on the vavle and one on the box. Then just used a couple of elbows and some 3" pipe and replaced the air tube. It took a little bit of cutting and patching to get the big tube over the shroud and some trimming on the elbows, and use grease on the connection so its easy to work with. I cut one of the couplers from the original to make a downsizer to go from the 3" to the TB and box with stock clamps, worked like a charm. I didn't mess with any of the PCV stuff, just plugged the holes. On the 22r's there are EGR vavle block at the manifold/header. You could probably just rip it all out and put those blocks on it... but I'm not for certain with this part.

I think LC Engineering is putting out a roots type supercharger for the 22re now (www.lcengineering.com) and Toyota Performance (www.toyotaperformance.com) either still does or did make a supercharged motor and could probably figure something out for you.

Turbo's are too tempermental for my taste, and you have run extra oil lines, intercoolers, heat managment, ect.... Plus I love instant gratification (superchargers), mash the pedal and off you go. I do understand that the smaller the turbo, the more managable the lag is.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by apc
Bike4miles,

What modifications did you have to do to use that adapter and filter? Did you have to seal off the "canister" where the K&N drop in would have went, or do you remove it completely?
Check out the pictues at the beging of this tread. It really sums it up. Took the box out compleetly and puged the small hose with an mini filter.
Pics of intake

Quick Reply: Power!!!