Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Possibly Getting an FJ Soon :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly Getting an FJ Soon :)

Hey, well I'm hopefully going to be getting a Land Cruiser soon My Xterra is becomming way to expensive (and plus I really want to go back to Toyotas ), so I'm probably going to sell it (My mom says that she wants to buy it)

Anyway I found an FJ-62 (1989 Land Cruiser, I think I got the abbreviation right ) with 114k Miles, 4x4, 6 Cylinder Engine plus an ARB and roof rack. The guy is asking $9500 for it and I'm really considering going to check it out soon. From the picture it looks like it's in absolutely perfect condition and the person says that it hasn't been in any accidents, and that the body is perfect. The only thing I'm concerned about is the mileage. It seems like 114k is really low miles for an '89 and I'm wondering if the engine has ever been rebuilt.

I just have some questions regarding them (I'm a 4Runner guy, and I'm clueless about Land Cruisers)

-What kind of engine do these have in them? Is it the same V6 as the 2nd Gen 4Runners?

-Are there any major things that I need to be sure to check out when I go and look at it (If it's not sold already)?

-And what kind of gas mileage would I expect to get from an '89 FJ? I know it's not going to get 20 mpg, but I'm just curious

Thanks For any help you can provide

-Braden
Old 08-16-2003, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 FJ 62 Landcruisers have a 4.0 liter inline six engine. Check out Steve's site. He's got an 89 FJ 62 Landcruiser.

George
Old 08-16-2003, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its fuel injected, might get 13-15 mpg, straight 6, solid front axle.

I'm Jealous!!!
Old 08-16-2003, 03:06 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Oh yeah!
And I'm sure quite a few have seen this one before, as I have posted it a few times.

Braden, if you wanna see a ton of 'Cruisers, check out this site, and click on the Readers Rides section.
Same type of setup we have here for the Members Rigs section.

Post some pics if you get it.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:05 AM

Well I still haven't heard from the guy selling the FJ I was really interested in, So I'm guessing that it's probably already sold. But there is light at the end of the tunnel I'm planning on going to look at 2 or 3 other FJ's (2 1989s and a 1990) with low mileage (~120k miles) that seem to be in great shape. So I'm hoping that one of these will work out for me, because I'm getting very excited about this

I'll definitely post pics when I get my Cruiser

I'll let everyone know what happens this week after I check them out

-Braden
Old 08-17-2003, 06:34 AM

Totally awesome Old school cruisers rock :drum:

I am wanting an FJ40, but man, those are damn expensive - of course I want one that is all modded out

Can I ask why the Xterra was becoming more expensive?? I've always liked the Xterra - just curious.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:00 AM

The Xterra was becomming too expensive mainly because I'm still under 25 and my insurance is really high, and also I've been reading that some Xterra owners who have registered their trucks in the past couple months have been paying about $500 for the year, and I've heard from numerous different people that the registration costs here in California are going to triple in October (and my registration is due in November ) And plus I really would like to get an older truck, and especially a Toyota

Luckily my mom wants the Xterra so I'm set there.

-Braden
Old 08-18-2003, 01:10 AM

Well here's a little update on my FJ Search...

I Got One

I didn't get the one I originally wanted, simply because when I went to look at it, there was quite a bit of rust, and something just didn't seem right about it. So after driving 2 hours away to look at it, I was flipping through the auto trader that I bought and found another one with low miles (120k) so on a whim I decided to call up the guy (who turned out to be a guy here in San Diego who buys 4x4s at auctions and fixes them up and sells them) and I went to look at it, and it was absolutely perfect. Body is in great shape, interior is excellent, low miles, brand new 33" tires and rims (I forgot exactly what kind of tires they are, but they're some kind of Goodyear Offroad tire), and it was absolutely perfect, and the price was right (I got it for $9000) So I bought it And I'm picking it up tommorow morning

It's a 1989, light tanish color (almost a gold, but not quite if that makes sense) and it's exactly what I wanted

Anyway I'm really excited and can't wait to pick it up tommorow. I'll definitely post pics of it when I get a chance (I didn't have my camera with me, but I'll take plenty of pics)

Let the mods begin

-Braden
Old 08-18-2003, 11:21 PM

*UPDATE*

Well I got up early this morning to go pick up my new truck

Aside from a small oil leak (The guy I bought it from told me it's the front main seal, and he just didn't have a chance to get it fixed.) and a couple of small cosmetic things (Fuse box cover is cracked, 4x4 Light stays on all the time, the window tint in the cargo area is kind of scratched up, and there's a small rust spot (no bigger than a $.50 piece) on the front bumper (not a big deal because I'm going to get an ARB ) This truck is absolutely perfect!!!!

It has brand new (less than 300 miles) 33" x 12.5" Goodyear Wrangler RTS (I think that's what they're called, they're really aggressive offroad tires) tires on it along with brand new rims.

And it's in absolutely beautiful shape, and it runs great It's definitely a bit more sluggish than my '91 4Runner, but I don't care I love this truck

First on my list of mods is a new exhaust system, and new shocks (Probably going to get OME or Bilsteins, still trying to decide), and I'm going to be swapping the stereo from the Xterra into my FJ and getting some new speakers for it in the near future I'm still undecided as to whether or not i'm going to get the OME Full Lift Kit or not... I may get it in the future though

Anyway I haven't had a chance to get any pictures of it, I got home about 10 minutes before I had to leave for work, and I just got home from work about 10 minutes ago But I'll try and snap some pictures of it tommorow to show it off

I still can't believe that I finally got a Land Cruiser!!! I mean it may be almost 15 years old, but I love it

-Braden
Old 08-19-2003, 01:52 AM
Contributing Member

Right on man that's awesome!! Post some pics ASAP!