Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

possible temp overshoot problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 09:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible temp overshoot problem?

im hella worried!!!!!!!!!!!!! i went to the store... and on the way home my temp guage was in the hot range....i was like oh crap!!!! well 10 seconds later it was normal, stayed that way until i was home.. the store is only about 2 miles from my house

i just went out on a test drive and it was cold all around the neighborhood, i get out on the big street, go through the gears, and its way past hot!!!!!!
well i pull over, and pop open the rad cap... stuff sprays out... but the coolant isnt even hot-its barely lukewarm, warmer then the outside temp, but way cool to the touch, like room temp water

i did add some coolant the other day, it was about an inch or 2 below the filler neck, so i toped it off to the neck... level in the overflow was fine... not sure if it does anyhting anymroe though since the radiator would need to suck water from it uphill since the bodylift

i am almost thinking temp guage overshoot, but am not sure now... the thermostat is only like 4 months old, and i redid the head about 2 months ago, i retorqued the head last month and it was fine....
Old 01-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if i recall from one of your other threads, you did not get the dual stage t-stat, that is your problem, the dual stage should fix it
Old 01-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Banned

i had the single stage std replacemnt you are right.... think it blew on me? or what? the coolant was not hot thats what got me puzzled.. i will go buy the $8 part if i need to though.....
Old 01-23-2005, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimabena74
i had the single stage std replacemnt you are right.... think it blew on me? or what? the coolant was not hot thats what got me puzzled.. i will go buy the $8 part if i need to though.....
the coolant was not hot because it was not allowed to circulate to the radiator because the t-stat was not opening, did you have your heater on when this happened?
Old 01-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Banned

i think the heater was on.. well defrost with the heat selector all the way to the right/warm setting

the puzzling part was the coolant was not hot at all, and as soon as i saw the guage, it basically started dropping down to a little below the halfway point o nthe guage..... even when i blew the headgasket befroe it never got that hot according to the guage....
Old 01-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Banned

90916-03070 is the 2 stage thermo right?
Old 01-23-2005, 10:08 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I did a Yahoo search on that number and it appears to be 2 stage. If it is not opening then the coolant would be cold because it cannot circulate. When my thermostat quit working, there was snow on the ground and my temperature guage was climbing high. I felt the upper radiator hose and it was not hot. I started to drive home and the temperature guage went back down to where it was suppose to be, or even colder. It worked long enough to make it home. I put in a new single stage thermostat from an auto parts store and it seemed to have fixed the problem. The next time it happens, feel your upper radiator hose and see if it is cold. Feel it when it starts to work again and if it is hot then most likely it is your thermostat.

Last edited by the_supernerd; 01-23-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:28 PM
Banned

the guage only showed hot for no more then 30 seconds that i saw it... i didnt see it get to that point, but just after looking @ it it started going back down to a normal range..... i opened the cap and what spurt out was just lukewarm.....
Old 01-23-2005, 11:11 PM

That is kind of what mine did. I pulled over before it got to too hot to let it cool. When I started driving it stayed up for a few seconds went down. The coolant would most likely be luke warm if your thermostat is sticking because the coolant cannot circulate back to the radiator, meaning the coolant in the heads is hot. Try feeling the upper radiator hose like I said in my last post. That should tell you if it is your guage or your thermostat.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:24 PM
Banned

the upper hose would give the same result as the radiator....
Old 01-23-2005, 11:45 PM

It will, I was just suggesting the hose because it will be easier to check and less of a chance of getting burned by hot coolant.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:53 PM
Banned

im wondering if its jsut overshoot though because as soon as i looked at it, it would start dropping.......

jsut for an extra little ounce of prevention, i am going to drill a couple of holes in the tstat tomorrow morning until i can get a new tstat and hope that helps...

Last edited by jimabena74; 01-23-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:59 PM

If it is dual stage then it does not need holes. You might want to remove it and see if your problem is fixed. That way you will still have a good thermostat (don't they cost about $25?) if it is not the problem.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:02 AM
Banned

the regular tstat i got was $8 from yota... i have heard the 2 stage is $20-30 from roger brown.....

i dotn want to completely remove the tstat.... but i would like to at least replace it with the dual stage.. i currently only have the standard replacement....

running with no tstat can also be a bad thing......
Old 01-24-2005, 12:06 AM

I thought you said you had a dual stage. I must have missed that second post. Drilling holes in a single stage is the way to correct it. Sounds like a good idea.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Banned

yeah in post 2 and 3 it says i dont have the 2 stage, jsut the regular one that was $8
Old 01-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Banned

well this morning befroe work i took out the tstat, and driled about 5 holes into it about the size of the jiggle ball thing and also snapped off the jiggle ball.... anyways, then i cruised around the hood, and opened it up out on the main drag.... no problems... came back home got ready for work, and went to work... after i got back to my bosses house, i drove from there to the toy stealership.... they didnt have the 2 stage in stock... but another stealership out in san jose did... so i drove there.. then home... no problems since i drilled the tstat.... the guage stayed jsut over the cool line..... so looks like it was the tstat thoguh... oh, and they raised the price of the 2 stage, its now $36.xx and the gasket is liek $4 ........ i will install it when i get a chance, but iat least i know what happened now, and cuaght it befroe any real damaged happened... wierd thing, i replaced the tstat with the regular oem replacement during the summer, odd it died on me in only 5 months....
Old 01-24-2005, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
well this morning befroe work i took out the tstat, and driled about 5 holes into it about the size of the jiggle ball thing and also snapped off the jiggle ball.... anyways, then i cruised around the hood, and opened it up out on the main drag.... no problems... came back home got ready for work, and went to work... after i got back to my bosses house, i drove from there to the toy stealership.... they didnt have the 2 stage in stock... but another stealership out in san jose did... so i drove there.. then home... no problems since i drilled the tstat.... the guage stayed jsut over the cool line..... so looks like it was the tstat thoguh... oh, and they raised the price of the 2 stage, its now $36.xx and the gasket is liek $4 ........ i will install it when i get a chance, but iat least i know what happened now, and cuaght it befroe any real damaged happened... wierd thing, i replaced the tstat with the regular oem replacement during the summer, odd it died on me in only 5 months....
Did you fail English? I can barely figure out what you are saying.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
Did you fail English? I can barely figure out what you are saying.
I was thinking the same thing
Old 01-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Banned

come on guys, jsut trying to sound funny couldnt you tell i was happy i got it fixed?

Quick Reply: possible temp overshoot problem?