Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

possible to make a 2WD into a 4WD??

Old 08-23-2004, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible to make a 2WD into a 4WD??

hello all......i already tried searching for this using the search ..but no luck. i have a 994runner auto thats 2WD .....is it possible to swap in a 4WD tranny or making it into a 4WD that is reliable?? When i 1st got my truck...i didn't think about going off roading at all...but aftetr reading and watching videos and pics....im so tempted...how much would it run me and is there anybody in the SO CAL area that can pull this off?? Im willing to spend the $$ and if it is possible......id be doing it soemtime in the next month or so....any input is GREATLy appreciated...thanks guys........(i just want to go off roading too!!)
Old 08-23-2004, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

http://www.fastq.com/~sschaefer/2WDt...sion/index.htm

Old 08-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

FWIW: You can do a LOT of wheeling in 2wd. Add a rear locker and you cna go many places a 4wd vehicle cannot. Id throw a locker in before making such a huge investment in 4wd...or just sell your truck and buy a 4wd.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:17 PM

PoBoy is right.
It will cost a lot more and take a lot of time to convert yours. If you really want a 4x4 sell yours and buy a 4 wheel drive runner.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

if you're willing to be patient and wait for good deals on the parts and know someone/can find someone who will offer a good price on the labor, the conversion is something to consider.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:36 PM

I thought about coverting my 97 F-250 to 4x4. I can do it, I found a 78 Bronco 4x4 for $150. Though, I dont have the time nor place to work on it
Old 08-23-2004, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by PoBoy
FWIW: You can do a LOT of wheeling in 2wd. Add a rear locker and you cna go many places a 4wd vehicle cannot.
Not this again.... a 4WD can go everywhere an 2WD can go and then some.....
Old 08-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Ditto

Originally Posted by BruceTS

Old 08-23-2004, 07:55 PM

I read the posting wrong. Maybe I have missed previous posts, but how could a 2 wheel drive be better then a 4 wheel?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hope jimabena74 doesnt see this thread
Old 08-23-2004, 10:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you went straight to an SAS, it could be done. i don't think it would be much harder than a conventional SAS other than you'd have to add a transfer case and 4wd tranny(you'd either need an R150F with an adaptor or an R151F to run 4 cyl gear drive cases). i've heard that 2wd toyota frames have more arch than most 4wds, so you could use less spring lift.

however, unless you're really attached to it or like to fabricate things yourself, i think it'd be best to just buy another truck
Old 08-23-2004, 11:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
if you went straight to an SAS, it could be done. i don't think it would be much harder than a conventional SAS other than you'd have to add a transfer case and 4wd tranny(you'd either need an R150F with an adaptor or an R151F to run 4 cyl gear drive cases). i've heard that 2wd toyota frames have more arch than most 4wds, so you could use less spring lift.

however, unless you're really attached to it or like to fabricate things yourself, i think it'd be best to just buy another truck

wait till casey's sees this.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:07 AM
Contributing Member

That's a lot of what I was hearing when I was going through the same dilemma. A couple of people were saying "might as well just go SAS" and it is a valid point. You'll be putting a lot of work and a good chunk of $$ into converting to 4WD. At the same time that might be overboard.

I was considering a conversion/possible SAS but thought that was definitely out of my skill level as a mechanic and a wheeler
Then I saw a few images and movies of some rollovers and after a couple bad deals with some possibles I began to think that maybe getting a beater would be the best route.

Now I have 2 Toyotas!
Only problem is deciding what to spend the time on

I had this discussion with Ryan (Pretacopower) during Big Bear and I was saying that having a trail rig was nice because I'm not so paranoid about trail damage and I'll be spending all my time under the hood instead of polishing it. That kind of care is reserved for my street queen 2WD.

One more comment too before I finish just in case you decide to trade-in or get a trail rig, mid 80s Toys are AWESOME! The 22RE is truly deserving of its bulletproof reputation
It's nearly all engine and very little computer so I don't have to worry about ruining too many sensors. It's fun to work under the hood because I know there's a wealth of information all over the place since this engine has been around for what... 20 years? Definitely a good way to start gaining some mechanical experience!

I've experienced a few hiccups since I've puchased my runner but none of it has been very big (other than the clutch) and I've handled by myself or helped with all of it.

As you can see, I'm really excited about Dino
Old 08-24-2004, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS

Well of course! I was merely stating that the guy seemed to think that because he has 2wd he cannot go wheeling. There are a ton of 2wd people onboard that wheel...several are locked and do pretty damn well - better than some of the 4wd people Ive seen on trails.

I NEVER said a 2wd is better than a 4wd. I did however state that if he were to put a rear locker in the 2wd - you can go many places a than the guy could if he put 4wd in his truck and still left the rear unlocked. Not all places, but from the tone of this statement: "I just want to go off roading too!!" - I doubt he needs to drop a boat load of cash on 4wd. Just get a rear locker and wheel it or sell the truck and buy a 4wd.

WTF? How am I wrong?
Old 08-24-2004, 07:39 AM

i might as well trade in the truck.....i would so love to have 4WD...but is sounds like a hassle.......again...i'm a bit new to this so please excuse my nOOb questions.......how much would i spend on a locker and labor.....? When a locker is engaged......both rear wheels spin insted of 1?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 994runnerguy
i might as well trade in the truck.....i would so love to have 4WD...but is sounds like a hassle.......again...i'm a bit new to this so please excuse my nOOb questions.......how much would i spend on a locker and labor.....? When a locker is engaged......both rear wheels spin insted of 1?
I went through the same scenario. I bought a locker for my 2wd so I could hit some harder trails too. In short, yes you can go ALOT farther with your 2wd locked than unlocked. BUT, it's still no 4wd.
Ask anyone that was in the same group with me in Big Bear I was the only 2wd (locked) in the group and I still got stuck on a rather steep and rocky incline. Both my wheels had equal power, but the incline was too steep and the rear was too light to for the wheels to grip.
Another scenario happened while I was wheeling and got my rear bumper hung up. My rear tires where lifted off the ground, so I was pretty much screwed. I had to have my friends Chevy come pull me out
But that's not to say the locker doesn't help. I've gone MANY more places around where I live that I wouldn't have dared before without the locker. Huge ruts are always fun But alas, I still crave more....
Which is why I just bought a 87 4x4 w/ a solid axle for $550