Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Possible Blown Motor Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Blown Motor Advice

Tried to drive home for the holidays today but my 4Runner had other plans. Driving up a steep grade, I noticed a loss of power in my vehicle and my CEL started blinking. I tried to get over to the side of the road, but it was too late, something gave and all I saw was black smoke shoot out the back. When I finally got over, I looked underneath and all my oil was gushing out, couldn't find a hole though.

I'm thinking I threw a rod, but I didn't hear any clanking during the whole ordeal. All the belts were fine, radiator still was full of coolant and not leaking, no residue on the manifolds... pretty sure I blew my motor, any other scenarios I can entertain?

So if it is a blown motor, is it worth getting a new motor or just parting away?
It's a 1998 V6 4x4 LMT 4Runner, about 116K miles, regular tune ups, oil changes, maintenance, etc.

Thanks
Matt
Old 12-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
definetly get a new engine. you wont make your money back parting it out, and most of the guys on here wont pay what you want. Trust me, i found out the hard way.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new motor would definitely be worth you while and would save you a lot of money compared to buying a new ride.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just started pulling my motor yesterday on my 99 that I threw a rod in. Put a big hole right behind the starter. I found a used motor with 35K on it from here:

www.midwestautorecycling.com

I haven't recieved it yet so I can't reccommend them. Taking the old one out though is easier than I expected - the hardest part was is dealing with the wire harness and all the piggy back fuel/timing boxes I have spliced into it. If you are all stock, then it will be pretty easy.

Good Luck!
Old 12-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like something definately gave out but without refilling it with oil and see if you're loosing pressure somewhere, I can't tell you exactly what went. Oil should have made alot of white smoke but again, it doesn't sound like a good scenario. The easiest way to rebuild your current vehicle is just to get a good used motor instead of fixing what you have. Parting out the truck won't really be worth it in this case I don't think.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:24 PM

wow 116k, thats not good, sorry bro
Old 12-26-2007, 12:47 AM

Dont give up just yet. Check to see why the oil leaked out. Could have been a loose drain plug that fell out, or a loose or faulty oil filter? Fill it back up with oil and fire it up. If you threw a rod through the block, you would have heard it.

You diddnt recently go to Jiffy Lube did you?
Old 12-26-2007, 07:11 AM

I agree with Adam F. If you threw a rod you would know it.

--Put in a new motor--A car is a depreciating asset--a sunk cost, not an investment. Unless everything else is Sh$t in a hand basket on the truck throw in a new motor...For Ex--Payments of $400 a month=$4800--thats a motor and other items that can be replaced.

And parting is a pain is the kisser--You will have people that flake, dont show up, want everything for nothing......it goes on and on
Old 12-26-2007, 07:43 AM

damn dude that sucks! hope you decide to fix her. its sad that so many awesome rigs are dying, and mine is still fine. and at 116? that thing was still a baby! check all oil stuff like everyones saying... and correct me if im wrong, but isnt oilsmoke BLUE? i thought WHITE smoke is water/coolant. if its black smoke, that kind of sounds like the mother of all backfires. good luck!
Old 12-26-2007, 09:07 AM

Yo,
There is a external oil line that runs to the oil filter and then to front of block. That line likely failed. So, tow it home. Go to paint shop or wally world and get you a gallon of thinner, varsol if you will, in wally world its in a clear jug with either a blue or gold wrapper. Get a spray bottle and put the thinner in it and spray the hell out of the engine to clean it from the wheel well sides. Let it dry over night. News papers on the floor will absorb most of it. Next day, on drivers side, look for the large line to both sides of oil filter. If the filter is not blown, pull on the lines to look for a crack. Bet one is cracked. Go to stealership and get a new line and have it installed. Refill motor and fire it up. Like mentioned, if you got a bottom end problem, it will be obvious. Otherwise, you should be good to go.

My $0.02
Old 12-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SEAIRESCUE
Yo,
There is a external oil line that runs to the oil filter and then to front of block.
There is? I never noticed a 5VZFE like that, was that just on the early ones or something?
Old 12-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

116K....? SAY IT AINT SO!!
Just out of curiosity... What kind of oil were you running and how steep was the incline?
Old 12-26-2007, 01:51 PM

Small block swap. Do it...do it.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
There is? I never noticed a 5VZFE like that, was that just on the early ones or something?

I've never seen this either. I've had 2 early ones and they diddnt have any external lines.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:27 PM

There are coolant lines to the oil cooler.Black smoke is gasoline.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by SEAIRESCUE
Yo,
There is a external oil line that runs to the oil filter and then to front of block. That line likely failed. So, tow it home. Go to paint shop or wally world and get you a gallon of thinner, varsol if you will, in wally world its in a clear jug with either a blue or gold wrapper. Get a spray bottle and put the thinner in it and spray the hell out of the engine to clean it from the wheel well sides. Let it dry over night. News papers on the floor will absorb most of it. Next day, on drivers side, look for the large line to both sides of oil filter. If the filter is not blown, pull on the lines to look for a crack. Bet one is cracked. Go to stealership and get a new line and have it installed. Refill motor and fire it up. Like mentioned, if you got a bottom end problem, it will be obvious. Otherwise, you should be good to go.

My $0.02

No.

The external line is a coolant line. There are no external oil lines at all on the 5VZ.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:08 PM

Toast!

Well, the worst case scenario is true, there's a big a-- hole in my motor. Since I've never done an engine swap before, any advice, help? I'm guessing a mechanic is going to charge me both kidneys and livers to get this done.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:16 PM

I just took mine out tonight! Not diffucult at all - took me about 8 hours to take it out but that was with breaks and taking my time. Also, I have alot of extra things going on with the turbo/piggyback fuel stuff etc... Only special tool you will need is an engine hoist. Just look for a low mileage guaranteed motor and set aside a few days to do the swap. This is my first time replacing a whole engine too and was suprised how easy this one was...
Old 12-26-2007, 07:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Where is the hole? In the block? Oil pan?
Old 12-26-2007, 08:22 PM

It's in the block, unfortunately.

Quick Reply: Possible Blown Motor Advice