Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Porting and polishing

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porting and polishing

Just called a machine shop and they wanted to charge $68 for honing the block on the 3.0 and for porting and polishing was $58/HR. Haven't ever had these services before so would this be a good price or am I gettin ripped?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by callmej75
Just called a machine shop and they wanted to charge $68 for honing the block on the 3.0 and for porting and polishing was $58/HR. Haven't ever had these services before so would this be a good price or am I gettin ripped?
Sounds like a decent deal to me...

I paid 35 for a shop to bore out the TB area of my intake plenum...the guy was super cool and also ported the runners slightly too, and threw it in the parts washer to clean it up. Noticed a definate change, but that was because the opening was 10% occluded from the EGR dump...

while they are porting your heads have them put in 1mm oversized exuast valves and have them do your valve lash, particularly on exhuast #6

Hell have them do before and after flow testing too....might surprise you how much that 1mm makes

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 09-27-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota

I paid 35 for a shop to bore out the TB area of my intake plenum...the guy was super cool and also ported the runners slightly too, and threw it in the parts washer to clean it up. Noticed a definate change, but that was because the opening was 10% occluded from the EGR dump...

while they are porting your heads have them put in 1mm oversized exuast valves and have them do your valve lash, particularly on exhuast #6
Did you rebuild yours? Getting ready to order the kit from engine builder and I'm not sure whether to go .20 over or not. thinking the added flow from the heads would definately scream for more combustion.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

I was gonna do 1mm OS intake and exhaust...whats the different angles you can do the valves? Don't understand much about that....
Old 09-27-2005, 11:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No sure didnt, I was just doing perfomance mods that were easy while doing maintaince repairs. Im goign to try like hell to get 300,000 out of my 3vze before I rebuild... At that point my tranny will need one too - my reverse gear is REALLY bad.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

No sure didnt, I was just doing perfomance mods that were easy while doing maintaince repairs. Im goign to try like hell to get 300,000 out of my 3vze before I rebuild... At that point my tranny will need one too - my reverse gear is REALLY bad.
That sucks...yeh i got 220,000 and decided to go with a full reuild. Rather than redo the heads and fix the blown head gaskets...I want it to last for a while and that way everything is top shape and will take a while to go out hopefully. I would ship my heads to engnbldr but by the time I pay shipping and pay for the service I will be broke!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Hell have them do before and after flow testing too....might surprise you how much that 1mm makes

where did you get your TB done and can you go into a lil detail about EGR dump etc. i am new to toyota engines(i had a VW for 2 years)...i have seen the "bored out" TB's on DOA and other sites...is it worth the money?

BTW....sorry to hijack your thread.....
Old 09-27-2005, 02:43 PM
Banned

do you want a shop local or do you mind traveling to No VA? If you dont...there is a place called NORPA. They are awesome! 703-494-4496 talk to joe or diane. Diane knows EVERYTHING about cars! my buddy got his YJ motor redone there
Old 09-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
do you want a shop local or do you mind traveling to No VA? If you dont...there is a place called NORPA. They are awesome! 703-494-4496 talk to joe or diane. Diane knows EVERYTHING about cars! my buddy got his YJ motor redone there
trying to find it local...don't wanna pay a buttload for shipping plus the work. Thanks for the reply though....
Old 09-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by brandontrek
where did you get your TB done and can you go into a lil detail about EGR dump etc. i am new to toyota engines(i had a VW for 2 years)...i have seen the "bored out" TB's on DOA and other sites...is it worth the money?

BTW....sorry to hijack your thread.....
Notta problem man
Old 09-28-2005, 03:27 AM

If they want to charge you $50+ an hour for porting it would be wise to ask them if they have a flow bench. Unless you are some one that ports a common head day in and day out and has it down to an art you are going to need something to indicate progress. Porting with out a flow bench to me would be like jetting a carb with out ever running the engine to see your progress. Unless you have a ton of experience with that particular head you are going to be pretty much in the dark except for basic rules.

When I had mine done properly by Rob Louthan (after getting bent over by DOA) I was given before and after flow numbers for my intake and exhaust at different amounts of lift. I would expect nothing less if you are paying big money for porting and head work. Much of the flow numbers are in the actual valve cutting and unshrouding on the back side of the valve in addition to port work..
Old 09-28-2005, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ganoid
If they want to charge you $50+ an hour for porting it would be wise to ask them if they have a flow bench. Unless you are some one that ports a common head day in and day out and has it down to an art you are going to need something to indicate progress. Porting with out a flow bench to me would be like jetting a carb with out ever running the engine to see your progress. Unless you have a ton of experience with that particular head you are going to be pretty much in the dark except for basic rules.

When I had mine done properly by Rob Louthan (after getting bent over by DOA) I was given before and after flow numbers for my intake and exhaust at different amounts of lift. I would expect nothing less if you are paying big money for porting and head work. Much of the flow numbers are in the actual valve cutting and unshrouding on the back side of the valve in addition to port work..
Hey when you had performance do yours...what was the actual cost when he got done and what exactly did he do to yours? I agree with the flow bench...forgot to ask him about that but I will definately. How much cfm extra did he get yours to flow? Wondering if the stock cams would be good enough for this application too.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:26 AM

alot of difference can be had with a gasket match port job, make sure they do the valve bowls as that is where you can pick up some decent hp
Old 09-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BOSTON4RUNNER
alot of difference can be had with a gasket match port job, make sure they do the valve bowls as that is where you can pick up some decent hp
note taken...thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REBUI...03675172QQrdZ1
Does this seem like a good value? I wonder if they will fit my 91 even though they are off of a 93?