Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Popping sound and rough idle and problems accelerating

Old 03-30-2004, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popping sound and rough idle and problems accelerating

I need your help guys,

My 95 runner is having some troubles. It all started about a month ago when I heard a bubbling sound while I was heading north to Oregon, it was coming from somewhere right behind the firewall. I had it looked at and was told that my heater core was fine and that an air bubble probably got sucked in and made that noise. And I havnt heard the noise since. But now I have a really rough idle, especially when cold and the I hear popping sounds coming out of the exhaust and the truck shakes. It doesnt drop way down in rpm's, it stays pretty consistant. ALSO, when accelerating on the freeways(thats when I notice) I feel the car jolting and it doesnt want to accelerate smoothly, I have also noticed a difference while driving up hills. Im stuck with the semi-trucks now.

What do yall think, Head gasket? what should I do. I had a compression test done at the dealership and they report 170psi all cylinders. Please help, I love my 4runner and dont want to get rid of it.

I dont even want to get into the issue with my electrical problem. I dont know if that would have anything to do with it. Wierd things have been happening though. Like when I flip my turn signal on, my radio dies and if its dark out, I see my headlights dim for a split second. The Battery meter on the dash also shakes a little bit when this happens. I was going to check the alt. today but I was told it was fine by the dealership.

Thanks for the help.

Scott
Old 03-30-2004, 11:37 AM

hey....yeah...i have the same rough idle but mine idles at like 200-300 rpms and quite violently especially when its cold.....and if i dont let it have a chance to warm up...when i press on the gas its like SUPER SUPER SLOW (i.e., takes a good 5 secs just to get to like 15mph) then it will make a popping noise and it will jolt forward and then it starts to get a little more oomph to it....ive never heard it pop when it has warmed up though...weird....could this be a burnt valve(s)??

shoorty
Old 03-30-2004, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Shoorty911
hey....yeah...i have the same rough idle but mine idles at like 200-300 rpms and quite violently especially when its cold.....and if i dont let it have a chance to warm up...when i press on the gas its like SUPER SUPER SLOW (i.e., takes a good 5 secs just to get to like 15mph) then it will make a popping noise and it will jolt forward and then it starts to get a little more oomph to it....ive never heard it pop when it has warmed up though...weird....could this be a burnt valve(s)??

shoorty
I dont know about the valves. It could be. Im almost to the point where I just want to throw some money into this thing and get a rebuild. Anybody have any ideas on whats happening to our vehicles?
Old 03-30-2004, 12:19 PM

Check out the Topic "#6 cylinder misfire" that is posted on same page.
My compression was excellent even though the head gasket was blown (#6 cyl.).
All cylinders were between 170-174 psi, 171 or 172 psi is the std if my memory is correct.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Astralplane
Check out the Topic "#6 cylinder misfire" that is posted on same page.
My compression was excellent even though the head gasket was blown (#6 cyl.).
All cylinders were between 170-174 psi, 171 or 172 psi is the std if my memory is correct.

Thanks Ill check that out...
Did you have any other symptoms, like the milkey substance under the oil cap, etc.... Thanks again
Old 03-30-2004, 10:32 PM

Sounds to me like you've likely got a problem with either your spark plugs or with your plug wires.

There are a few other possibilities as well (yeah, that darn headgasket is one of them), but as this is easy to check and cheap to replace, I'd try this first.

As for your electical problems, it appears that you have something in your turn signal circuit going to ground.