Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Poor Mans Quick Disconnects?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor Mans Quick Disconnects

So I was thinking about how to make some sway bar quick disconnects and came up with an idea to use the factory ones and just modify them. I unbolted them and drilled 3/16" holes for linch pins and cut the factory rubber bushings into thin rubber washers to keep things tight and from making noise.
Idea is that between wheeling trips I can just put the nuts back on and have them function exactly like stock and when I am prepping for a wheeling trip I can take the nuts off and put the pins and washers on so when I get to the trail I need no tools to unhook the sway bar. THe sway bar is not as tightly connected with the pins in but it is definetly better than no sway bar at all.

Still working the bugs out to make this work better but I have ran them with only the pins/washers for 4 days on the highway and during city driving and have had no issues. At the wheeling trip yesterday I was able to unhook the sway bar in record time and then reinstall them again quickly and again with no tools!

Any ideas to make this work better or any safety issues that I have not thought of on this would be welcome.

Last edited by ecchamberlin; 12-18-2005 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Careful on the turns with those because I have seen people break sway bar links just taking hard turns on the road. When you drill a hole through the center, you are making it that much weaker. If you take it easy on the turns they should be fine.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-19-2005 at 04:46 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

I saw Localmotion snap an new OEM link just driving down a trail. Great idea, but wabbit's discos are cheap andstrong
Old 12-19-2005, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Between trail outings I am putting the nuts back on and the holes are drilled out far enough so that the rubber washer fits in between which also allows the nut to be tightened beyond the holes I drilled it the bolts. I will keep an eye on them because that is also a concern I have. I think that the biggest reason for the breakage of the link is over tightening them and then hanging a wheel. The sway bar is basically holding the weight of the hung wheel's suspension (a-arms,coil over, wheel/tire +) and if that bolt is really tight it snaps. My $.02

I like WabFab's disco's but they are not tool-less. I think that is the whole idea behind quick discos. If I have to get out tools I may as well take off the lower nut also. If these break ( and they probably will ) I wil buy a set from him because I think he has the best design out there followed cloesly by 4crawler's. I only have $4 in these so nothing to loose.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
I like WabFab's disco's but they are not tool-less. I think that is the whole idea behind quick discos. If I have to get out tools I may as well take off the lower nut also. If these break ( and they probably will ) I wil buy a set from him because I think he has the best design out there followed cloesly by 4crawler's. I only have $4 in these so nothing to loose.
Nope, mine aren't tool-less, requires a 19mm or a 3/4" or a crescent wrench to take off (1) nut per side. I use a nylock nut because a wingnut is just not sufficient IMO. I would use a ratcheting 19mm and they come apart in seconds. From personal experience, I didn't want anything on there that I could take off or tighten solely by hand...then it might just "rattle" off IMO.

Mine will still be for sale...when you come to your senses.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 12-19-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
I saw Localmotion snap an new OEM link just driving down a trail. Great idea, but wabbit's discos are cheap andstrong
Thanks bro...but considering you had to buy (2) pair as you lost the first set...I don't know how "cheap" they were for you!

Old 12-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Nope, mine aren't tool-less, requires a 19mm or a 3/4" or a crescent wrench to take off (1) nut per side. I use a nylock nut because a wingnut is just not sufficient IMO. I would use a ratcheting 19mm and they come apart in seconds. From personal experience, I didn't want anything on there that I could take off or tighten solely by hand...then it might just "rattle" off IMO.

Mine will still be for sale...when you come to your senses.

Yah your probably right. So keep an extra set built so when I call to order yours they can be shipped out to my broke Ars.

Just thought I'd give it a shot. I like messing around in the garage. This was the first time wheelin without the sway bars and I was shocked at how much better the front did. Is there a noticable benefit from unbolting the rear sway bar? That one seems even easier to unhook.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
Yah your probably right. So keep an extra set built so when I call to order yours they can be shipped out to my broke Ars.

Just thought I'd give it a shot. I like messing around in the garage. This was the first time wheelin without the sway bars and I was shocked at how much better the front did. Is there a noticable benefit from unbolting the rear sway bar? That one seems even easier to unhook.

Wow...that picture reminds me how much I want discos... By the way, is that Marc's rig in the background?
Old 12-29-2005, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Yup that is Marc's That pic is at Corral Canyon a few weekends ago.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Banned

yep..i snapped a OME disco and lost my bushings.

Wabbits are cheap(realively) and are durable. And plus, he told me if i ever have a problem , he would give me his rig
Old 12-30-2005, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
yep..i snapped a OME disco and lost my bushings.

Wabbits are cheap(realively) and are durable. And plus, he told me if i ever have a problem , he would give me his rig

Hmmm... Wabbit said that? I think he had been hovering over the grinder a little too long that day....
Old 12-30-2005, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks bro...but considering you had to buy (2) pair as you lost the first set...I don't know how "cheap" they were for you!

that is the story of my life :pat:
Old 12-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
Hmmm... Wabbit said that? I think he had been hovering over the grinder a little too long that day....
My grinder told me today to take the weekend off.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

My grinder told me today to take the weekend off.

Naw, Brian, I think that was your wife yelling over the noise of the grinder... Have a good one!