Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Poor man's 4runner antenna mod.

Old 11-24-2003, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor man's 4runner antenna mod.

Well, i called around my town on a non motorized antenna for my rig and they all told me 42bucks plus tax and it had to be ordered.

So my tight-wad self went over to AUTOZONE AND PEP BOYS and was erked at how the stealership can charge 42 bucks and autozone only 6.99 for the whole set up with a stainless antenna.

The computer showed this for the replacement. So i bought it and installed in a flash. Not gay lookin' either it look pretty damn good and solid too. Will post pics tomorrow. Reception is just as good as the power antenna.

I also bought a flexible rubber antenna(i like the looks of this better also) that screws into it for 3.99 on sale in case the wonderful wife decides to run it thru the carwash again like she did on my power antenna rendering it useless. You can't count on them to unscrew the antenna much less keep em' full of fuel.

Here it is fellas finally downloaded the pics. to my tightwad poormans tacoma wannabee 4runner antenna mod.

Just say no to stealerships.

Autozone: antenna assembly AW-UT91 narrow antenna $6.99 includes stainless antenna whip.

rubber antenna AW-RM1R rubber antenna $3.99

See what ya think.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jonybeck101

Last edited by CUBERA; 12-03-2003 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Post pics!!
Old 11-24-2003, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Pics & part numbers?
Old 11-25-2003, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Pix are good ...

Also, what about the installation? When my power antenna went belly-up, I tried replacing it with a stick antenna. However, as I attempted to trace the coax back to the radio, I became discouraged as I saw that I was going to have to disassemble the entire dash just to plug in the antenna cable!

So, being the rocket scientist that I am, I just whacked off the old antenna cable and spliced it to the new antenna cable (not realizing what CRAPPY reception I would then have.)

Consequently, I can now pick up two stations on my radio.

Now I'm looking for a good write-up on how to tear apart a Gen3 dash to replace the antenna ...

Old 11-25-2003, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.4runners.org/articles/whip/

Took myself and a friend about an hour. I had the exterior done before he had the coax removed from behind the dash. Don't remember my comments on the part # and price. THink i paid 37$ for antenna mast and mounting bracket from the local stealership.

BTW< thanks Bob.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:12 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Not hard

Originally posted by VF84Tomcat
Pix are good ...

Also, what about the installation? When my power antenna went belly-up, I tried replacing it with a stick antenna. However, as I attempted to trace the coax back to the radio, I became discouraged as I saw that I was going to have to disassemble the entire dash just to plug in the antenna cable!

So, being the rocket scientist that I am, I just whacked off the old antenna cable and spliced it to the new antenna cable (not realizing what CRAPPY reception I would then have.)

Now I'm looking for a good write-up on how to tear apart a Gen3 dash to replace the antenna ...

I did the exact same thing several months ago. Not hard, just a bit timely. Here is my write-up with a few twists that is based on Bob's.

http://www.drawhorn.org/tacoma_whip_antenna.htm

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 07-06-2004 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
BTW< thanks Bob.
Bennito,

No problem. Just remember to buy a cheap adjustible wrench and keep it in the glovebox just in case you need to take it off (car wash, trails, etc).

Bob
Old 11-25-2003, 11:46 AM

Antunna

I've got mine from Crutchfiled for around $10 and they work fine. When I was there I've ordered the MP3 and some speakers for the front and the back.
The front one didn't fit and the rear one are pain to replace, so I sent the speakers back. Just yesterday I've blow the front/right speakers out.
:pat:
Old 11-25-2003, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Poor man's 4runner antenna mod.

Originally posted by CUBERA
... in case the wonderful wife decides to run it thru the carwash again like she did on my power antenna rendering it useless. You can't count on them to unscrew the antenna much less keep em' full of fuel.
Ironic how most of our antennas meet their demise. (my wife struck twice before I wised up)
Old 11-25-2003, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by VF84Tomcat
Pix are good ...

If the 3rd is anything like the 2nd Gen, you can do what I did to make life easy on yourself when pulling the cable.

1. Pull the fender liner back (and remove the wheel if you are able - easier clearance)

2. Cut the antenna cable at the antenna and tape the connector end of the new cable to it.

3. Drop the lower right side of your dash including the glove box. If you can't reach the back of the radio, you'll need to pull that trim piece also (along with whatever else needs to come off to get to that)

4. Gently pull the old cable into the rig which will become the new. Be sure to tape the new cable "IN LINE" with the old, not parallel or any other way that would create a big knot that would make pulling the cable difficult.

Good Luck!
Old 11-25-2003, 06:14 PM

I am not with it fellas. I took the digital pictures but left the wire to download the pics. at a freinds house and they're now in bed.
I will download them tomorrow fer sure. Sorry!
But i do have the model #'s and they are:

Autozone: antenna assembly AW-UT91 narrow antenna $6.99

rubber antenna AW-RM1R rubber antenna $3.99
Old 11-25-2003, 06:22 PM

(So, being the rocket scientist that I am, I just whacked off the old antenna cable and spliced it to the new antenna cable (not realizing what CRAPPY reception I would then have.)

It's not too late dude. Go to RADIO SHAK and ask for a RG-58 cable wire couplere and connector to connect the 2 wires. I did this on my pick up and had no problems with reception if wires are stripped back carefully aand properly
Old 07-06-2004, 09:32 AM

Thank You Forum!!!

Thank you folks for good posts like these. I also went to Autozone and bought the $7.99 fixed antenna part and did the repair over this weekend. It looks great and works great. THANK YOU for saving me a lot of $$$.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet, I replaced my bent and broken power antenna a while back with the black whip I have now, and it's worked great. $10 at Checker I think...
Old 12-22-2004, 04:55 PM

I am trying your mod, but am having tremendous trouble getting the wheel liner off given that I have a fender flares to deal with. I have an '02 SR5 4WD. Any suggestions at getting the stupid wheel liner off?

Thanks,
Danny
Old 12-22-2004, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dlotoy4runner
I am trying your mod, but am having tremendous trouble getting the wheel liner off given that I have a fender flares to deal with. I have an '02 SR5 4WD. Any suggestions at getting the stupid wheel liner off?

Thanks,
Danny
First, get all the bolts off for the flare. Then, you have to go through and unclip (ruin) each plastic push-in deal. I would definitely pick some up from the dealer because you WILL break them. Once you get all those plastic push-in's off, you will have access to the antenna mast/pwr unit. Basically, you need to get everything off that is hindering the liner from being pulled down. The easiest way to get the push-in's off is to use a small flathead screwdriver and hammer, and just punch them in.

Good luck!
Old 12-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

If anyone needs an OEM Taco antenna in silver, let me know. I have a new one.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

So what did you do with the old wiring from the power antenna thats outside behind the fender? I was going down the road one day and my antenna just ejects itself to death on the road. I went back and picked it up and took the plastic track stuff off and just stuck it back in to get reception. Later I noticed the antenna motor was running for quite a while on start up so I just unplugged it from behind the fender and taped it up. Did you guys do the same?
Old 12-22-2004, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

antenna's and radio are over rated. i broke my antenna off a month ago going thru a mud bog and snapped it on a tree branch! as long as you have a couple hundred cd's and a cd changer your good to go!

plus i think the antenna was causing drag thru the air, so now my 22re has a added hp gain of roughly .75 hp!
Old 12-23-2004, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
you have to go through and unclip (ruin) each plastic push-in deal. I would definitely pick some up from the dealer because you WILL break them.
When I did this a year or so ago, I ruined my share of the plastic push-ins. Did I read online that you can buy a tool to remove them (so you don't have to use a screwdriver)?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Poor man's 4runner antenna mod.