34.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Rebuild or Rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poll: Rebuild or Rebuilt?

My last few polls haven't been very serious. But, now I would genuinely like your input and all supporting reasons for that decision.

I figure in the near future, I'll need to either rebuild or replace my 5VZ. But which is better - to rebuilt or to replace with a rebuilt engine?

I found a completely rebuilt engine online for just under $2K. The only thing it didn't have was the intake manifold and a few other bits and pieces. It was all clean and shiny. I have not yet priced out getting my engine rebuilt.

So what are your opinions on this matter?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

For what its worth i would rebuild. You would have some say into what you are putting into it and who is doing it. You never really know what you are getting when you buy one that is rebuilt.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

What about costs associated? Which one is the better value?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Not sure with a toyota... My father built Hod rods when i was growing up and he always had his built. That way we knew what we had and what we were could expect from the perfromace and reliabliity.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

*subscribing*
Old 01-17-2007, 11:09 AM

if you have the know how, i say rebuild it yourself or take it somewhere to be rebuilt...like the others have said, then you know what your getting, and your getting exactly what you want...never really know about someone elses project ya kno
Old 01-17-2007, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
experience is the better value. that and you know who to blame IF it fails.

if you dont have the tools (or confidence) a rebuilt from a trusted source would be better.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 91TPU
if you have the know how, i say rebuild it yourself or take it somewhere to be rebuilt...like the others have said, then you know what your getting, and your getting exactly what you want...never really know about someone elses project ya kno
I've thought about that. I would have to take the block and heads to be machined. But I have all the tools to do just about everything else. On the other hand, I can't afford the numerous days of vehicle down time it would take me to complete the rebuild myself.

I was thinking about removing my engine and taking it in to a local machinist who has been in business for over 25 years. I have yet to call them and find out what it would cost for them to rebuild my engine.
I was also thinking about the ease of having a "new" engine ready to go. All I'd have to do is pull my engine, swap over the injectors, headers, and supercharger. Having the "new" engine out would also allow me to dress it up a bit (paint the valve covers, timing belt cover, etc).
A rebuilt engine would offer the possibility of a warranty. Versus if I rebuild it myself, the only warranty is the amount of money represented in my wallet.

Rebuilding it myself (but having someone else do the machine work) would allow me to spend a little more on parts like pistons, valves, etc.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:58 AM

personally i would get a freshly rebuilt and drop it in. like surf says you know who to blame if something goes wrong. do you trust yourself or someone with "more" knowledge? .02...
Old 01-17-2007, 01:25 PM

what is wrong w/ your engine?

if you're rebuilding for performace, then do. Other than that, its not worth the time, money, and efforts. Just ride it out.

bottom line, if there is nothing wrong w/ the car, then dont fix it.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by profuse007
what is wrong w/ your engine?

if you're rebuilding for performace, then do. Other than that, its not worth the time, money, and efforts. Just ride it out.

bottom line, if there is nothing wrong w/ the car, then dont fix it.
Right now, nothing is wrong with it. And I plan to ride it out. But, I also want to be prepared and have some knowledge and insight if/when the day comes.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:11 AM
Contributing Member

LC Engineering sells a master rebuild kit that includes pistons, rings, oil pump, water pump, freeze plugs, and all the gaskets for $900
Old 01-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for asking this. I've wondered myself what I would do in the same situation. Either go for a chevy 4.3 swap as we have one in the shop I can buy for $800 already rebuilt or just rebuild mine and go ahead with the supercharger or turbo setup I've been coveting.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

I'd go the route of getting one of the used imported engines from Japan..... Oh wait I already did that once.......

Never had any problems with my new engine........
Old 01-27-2007, 03:51 AM

If you have any wrenching abilities do it you self, you will save $$ and its fun. By do it yourself I mean the R&R, let a good shop local give you back a long block, then you get to put it back in and all the goodies on. Teaches you about your motor, and you save a little $$. You could do the same with a Long block from somewhere, but it just depends on cost. I also prefer to keep MY parts, assuming they arent bad.. you dont know what condition the other motor was before its rebuild.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:38 AM
Maj

Lots of variables to consider. IF you can find a reputable rebuilder they can probably do a better job than a home wrencher since they have all the tools, machining equipment, clean facility and the knowledge of what to do. You also get a warranty. You get the shortest down time of your rig, least stress, don't have to rent/buy an engine stand, clear out space in the garage and keep it clean, haul the block back and forth to the machinst, cleaning/repainting piles of parts, fool with measuring all the clearances, order/reorder parts, or try and remember which bolts/parts went where since you didn't document the disassembly as throughly as you would have liked. Unless you are motivated and have plenty of time, a project which could have been done in a couple of weekends strings out to several months (now you REALLY don't recall how some of that stuff goes back together...).

If you have the time, doing it yourself it can be very satisfying and educational. It is also the best way to go if you plan on engine mods like bumping the compression ratio, installing some cams, fancy valve springs, etc.

Cost advantage is tough to figure. How much is your own time worth? Trips to the machinist and parts stores can add up. Tearing the engine down always goes quickly and smoothly compared to reassembly - especially for the novice who is battling the learning curve. Allow yourself plenty of extra time otherwise you will get frustrated about not meeting "schedule" or do a sloppy job and just throw it back together just to get it over with.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:28 AM

I said rebuild it, because I don't think the availability of rebuilt toyota engines is the same as other makes.

If it were a Ford or Chevy I would drop a crate engine in it with warranty etc., without hesitation. I have rebuilt, dropped in a crate engine, and had others rebuild all with satisfactory results. The best was a knowledgeable shop rebuilding for me, they turned out a nice engine.

As for down time, planning in advance should get you a loaner or rental without blowing the budget.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:29 AM

Whats the difference between

LC's rebuild kit
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...6-14073E4D3286

engnbldr's kit
http://www.engnbldr.com/ToyotaHotLicks.htm

That is a huge price difference!
Old 01-27-2007, 03:11 PM

LC doesnt sell anything cheap, price or parts wise. LC stuff will probally last longer... but then again I never hear any complaints on engnbldr, which is who I went with on parts for my HG/TC.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:41 PM

I found this on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-4r...73589314QQrdZ1. This probably isn't what you are looking for but I thought it might be worth a look.

Quick Reply: Poll: Rebuild or Rebuilt?