Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Which Plugs, Which side?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Plugs, Which side?

So as many of you already know, when you purchase plugs from the dealer they give you Denso for one side and NGK for the other. So which plugs go on which side? I assume it matters, probably because of the coil packs right?
Old 09-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's wierd. Get a 4 cylender. There's no doubt which sides they will go on. I'm not sure which side they go on. I wouldn't think that it'd matter that much. What kind of motor do you have?
Old 09-16-2007, 07:28 PM

the ngk is for the coil side and denso for the other but you can just use ngk on both sides. and gapped to .043" / 1.1mm
Old 09-16-2007, 07:45 PM

Oops! Forgot to mention it was the 3.4 but sounds like I got my answer. But whats the difference between the NGK and the Denso? If nothing then why do they give both?
Old 09-16-2007, 07:51 PM

this is just my 2 cents.
I work at a toyota parts dept. now for 5 years and ran across this one a few years back when a tech asked me. We got to looking and the only answer we got was it has something to do with the stages of manufacturing. Also looked it up in the shop manual..nothing

so another words it doesn't matter what you use.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:59 PM
KdF

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by urbanj
the ngk is for the coil side and denso for the other but you can just use ngk on both sides. and gapped to .043" / 1.1mm
With the V-6, it takes dual electrode plugs. You can`t gap dual electrode plugs. If you have found a way...I want to know.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:23 AM

Go to Napa and get dual electrode NGK spark plugs for the 4runner. I got 6 all around with NGK wires, works great. gapped at .043" and I was advised NOT to touch the gapping by all the people that I've talked to.. and I was told you actually cant even gap the dual electrode plugs.

If I may just add a few notes about doing spark plugs...
If you search up on here there is a ton of information concerning changing spark plugs. Someone gave me the idea of using an 8" long piece of 1/4" diameter tubing (1/4" inner diameter) to start the spark plugs so you don't accidentally crossthread. It worked like a charm. the 1/4" Inner diameter tubing fits right over the head of the spark plug and you just slide it in and turn until you feel that you cant turn the plug with the tubing anymore, then just yank the tubing off the head of the spark plug and tighten it with your socket/extension.

Craftsman makes a long extension that has a socket-lock on it. I'm not sure how long it is but its gotta be like at least 10 inches or so. That, along with the rubber tubing, made life MUCH easier. Since the extension was so long, I had to move like one bracket about a quarter of an inch to get to the PITA plug that is closest to the firewall on the driver's side. Also, since I had that extension, I used the spark plug socket to tighten the spark plugs and then when I yanked gently on the extension, the spark plug socket would come lose and not get stuck on the spark plug (because of the locking mechanism on the extension). Check it out!

Last edited by BornChaos; 09-17-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BornChaos
Go to Napa and get dual electrode NGK spark plugs for the 4runner. I got 6 all around with NGK wires, works great. gapped at .043" and I was advised NOT to touch the gapping by all the people that I've talked to.. and I was told you actually cant even gap the dual electrode plugs.

If I may just add a few notes about doing spark plugs...
If you search up on here there is a ton of information concerning changing spark plugs. Someone gave me the idea of using an 8" long piece of 1/4" diameter tubing (1/4" inner diameter) to start the spark plugs so you don't accidentally crossthread. It worked like a charm. the 1/4" Inner diameter tubing fits right over the head of the spark plug and you just slide it in and turn until you feel that you cant turn the plug with the tubing anymore, then just yank the tubing off the head of the spark plug and tighten it with your socket/extension.

Craftsman makes a long extension that has a socket-lock on it. I'm not sure how long it is but its gotta be like at least 10 inches or so. That, along with the rubber tubing, made life MUCH easier. Since the extension was so long, I had to move like one bracket about a quarter of an inch to get to the PITA plug that is closest to the firewall on the driver's side. Also, since I had that extension, I used the spark plug socket to tighten the spark plugs and then when I yanked gently on the extension, the spark plug socket would come lose and not get stuck on the spark plug (because of the locking mechanism on the extension). Check it out!

Not only is there "good advice" here at yota tech...There is "Dam good advice" here!

Last edited by icerunner; 09-17-2007 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:04 AM

A couple things. The driver's side bank of cylinders use a regular snap on extended spark plug boot.

The pass. side bank of cylinders has an entirely different connection to the spark plug. Underneath the booster pack is what appears to be the extended spark plug boot, BUT, it does not snap onto the sparkplug. It merely has a spring inside the boot which rests atop the sparkplug.

Maybe that has something to do with the 2 different plugs?

Having said that, I use the NGK's on both sides and they work fine. When I gotthem from the dealership, the gap was tight. I gapped at .043 just like gapping any other plug, with a gapping tool. 213,000 miles and still going strong.

Last edited by Potomacduck; 09-17-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 AM

you can use denso or ngk it doesnt matter. both are very good! my stock plugs in my v6 lasted 80k miles and they are 30k mile plugs.. granted i wouldnt wait that long but they do hold up. so find either brand andyou will be fine. just make sure they are duel electrode
Old 09-17-2007, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If Toyota really insisted on maintaining the Denso on one side and NGK on the other it'd be clearly documented all over the place. It just doesn't matter Take for example the rather large DUAL ELECTRODE PLUG decal they put on the engine, now that shows a requirement. Of course heaps of people will tell you they run single electrode, I do what Toyota says.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by KdF
With the V-6, it takes dual electrode plugs. You can`t gap dual electrode plugs. If you have found a way...I want to know.
You need a wire gauge type. Even though some plugs come pre gapped you can never trust that its right. Guys in the parts stores toss parts around and just in general i've always found some plugs to be out.

I just did the plugs the other day. my gauge only has .040 & .045
on some plugs the .045 was loose to slip around and some the .040 was a little to snug. That being said I set the plugs so that .045 can't fit and .040 is really loose. Also a lot of car makers say you can have +- .002