Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

PLEASE HELP - ON vacation in Charleston, SC

Old 07-17-2004, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE HELP - ON vacation in Charleston, SC

I am on vacation in Charleston, SC blew the engine on my 4 runner
Looking for a 3.0L engine - anybody know of one close ?

Staying with family with a shop in the back yard - I have another 9 days
Looking for an engine!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a hole in the #1 piston - o compression
Need to get home with my truck -
Old 07-17-2004, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

want me to take a peek down here in savannah? Is that close enough?
Old 07-17-2004, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Bummer

Good thing you were in town with family and not on the trails at Tellico! Perhaps a blessing in disguise! Good luck finding a new engine DOC! Go with the newer 3.4 instead of the 3.0 slow!

Old 07-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

If you are looking for one from a junkyard, I would check the ones in the Columbia/Florence area, not too many Toyota parts around Charleston. At least I have never had any luck getting parts. Where in Charleston are you?
Old 07-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

Have you looked into a Jasper engine Doc? I know Runningboard's (Steve) was running one here from SC, the guy that went to Tellico with us. I have a guy here in Columbia that could order you one and install it, but I have no idea on a price. He's an awesome mechanic, but I don't really know how you would get it here. Let me know if I can help.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:43 PM

looks like you should change your sig...haha. Ok sorry, but good luck finding a new motor
Old 07-18-2004, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan
Have you looked into a Jasper engine Doc? I know Runningboard's (Steve) was running one here from SC, the guy that went to Tellico with us. I have a guy here in Columbia that could order you one and install it, but I have no idea on a price. He's an awesome mechanic, but I don't really know how you would get it here. Let me know if I can help.
Looking for an engine that my uncle and I could swap - both of us a pretty good mechanics. We are actually in Mt. Pleasant. Went to a couple of junk yards yesterday - nothing available ! Found a 1992 4 runner for $2200.00 and the truck was pretty nice - guy wanted $2200.00 for it but it had 174,000 on the clock. My Uncle has a car hauler and he has offered to haul it home for me.
I pulled my utiility trailer over and I have my motorcycle with me - my wife and I were going to stay here for a few days and then take the bike down the coast to Savannah, GA to see some friends. I can ride the bike home and my uncle can haul the 4 runner - guess my trailer will stay here - good excuse to come back over !!!

The 3.4 swap my be a possibility - with the limited time available - did not know if the 3.4 was a reality. What has to be done different for the 3.4 ?

I plan on checking with Jasper Monday morning. Played on the beach last night and had a cook out - I could think of worse places to be !!!
Old 07-18-2004, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Doc279
Looking for an engine that my uncle and I could swap - both of us a pretty good mechanics. We are actually in Mt. Pleasant. Went to a couple of junk yards yesterday - nothing available ! Found a 1992 4 runner for $2200.00 and the truck was pretty nice - guy wanted $2200.00 for it but it had 174,000 on the clock. My Uncle has a car hauler and he has offered to haul it home for me.
I pulled my utiility trailer over and I have my motorcycle with me - my wife and I were going to stay here for a few days and then take the bike down the coast to Savannah, GA to see some friends. I can ride the bike home and my uncle can haul the 4 runner - guess my trailer will stay here - good excuse to come back over !!!

The 3.4 swap my be a possibility - with the limited time available - did not know if the 3.4 was a reality. What has to be done different for the 3.4 ?

I plan on checking with Jasper Monday morning. Played on the beach last night and had a cook out - I could think of worse places to be !!!

I did not buy the $2200.00 4 runner - great truck - no rust but I already have one with that many miles. I'll re-motor mine !
Old 07-18-2004, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What has to be done different for the 3.4 ?

Here is some reading for you: http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...fpart=all&vc=1
Old 07-18-2004, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did not buy the $2200.00 4 runner - great truck - no rust but I already have one with that many miles. I'll re-motor mine !
Doc, if you go the 3.4 route, I may know of a couple of engines around here. Missed ya at the last Tellico ride-nobody had any firewood!
Old 07-18-2004, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

Give me a ring if you want to meet up, i'm in savannah!

you have a pm!
Old 07-18-2004, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

Well I hope everything works out for you. Personally I would try the 3.4 swap if possible, sounds like the best bet. Anyway, let me know if you need anything and I'll do what I can.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan
Well I hope everything works out for you. Personally I would try the 3.4 swap if possible, sounds like the best bet. Anyway, let me know if you need anything and I'll do what I can.
i've ordered a rebuilt engine from Orient - $1729.00 with a 3 year warranty.
Engine will be here by Wednesday afternoon. Basically a long block engine.
Engines are remanufactured just south of Cinncinnati OH .
Free shipping ! JUst about have my engine ready to remove - It is Damn hot here ! Junk yard prices are around $1400.00 - did not make sense to
buy a questionable junk yard engine.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:15 PM

3.4 won't work with the auto trans as far as i know without doing a lot of wiring. There is as yet, no harness that will plug in unless offroad solutions has figured it out finally.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Hey if you need any help with anything just hit me up, im a Mt. Pleasant native.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Babypig
3.4 won't work with the auto trans as far as i know without doing a lot of wiring. There is as yet, no harness that will plug in unless offroad solutions has figured it out finally.
Yes, ORS has a kit now for the auto tran.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HarrisonP
Hey if you need any help with anything just hit me up, im a Mt. Pleasant native.
Hey that's cool - I broke a couple of senders on the water manifold at the back of the air plenum - need a good source and a better wiring diagram for that area. One of the sensors is the thermostat style sender for the O/Drive -
the plug was melted on to the sender. GRN wire with red or brown band around it. The other sender is a 2 wire with a green headed plug-
wire colors are green wire with red or brown band and the other wire is black with a white stripe - can anybody identify these senders so that I can make 1 trip ? I would imagine that these are Toyota items only. also need a fuel injector green plastip tip broke on one injector coming out.
I am just off rifle range road in Mt. Pleasant. cell phone number
865-659-7804 Doc Staley

THANKS GUY"S _ waiting on the motor - steam cleaned the engine bay yesterday - I will disassemble the engine with the other block sitting here-
transferring parts is betterr than working a jig saw puzzle !
Old 07-21-2004, 03:57 AM
Contributing Member

Hey that's cool - I broke a couple of senders on the water manifold at the back of the air plenum - need a good source and a better wiring diagram for that area. One of the sensors is the thermostat style sender for the O/Drive -
the plug was melted on to the sender. GRN wire with red or brown band around it. The other sender is a 2 wire with a green headed plug-
wire colors are green wire with red or brown band and the other wire is black with a white stripe - can anybody identify these senders so that I can make 1 trip ? I would imagine that these are Toyota items only. also need a fuel injector green plastip tip broke on one injector coming out.
I am just off rifle range road in Mt. Pleasant. cell phone number
865-659-7804 Doc Staley

THANKS GUY"S _ waiting on the motor - steam cleaned the engine bay yesterday - I will disassemb
le the engine with the other block sitting here-
transferring parts is betterr than working a jig saw puzzle !

Boy I screwed up the wire description !!!!!
Black plug harness - (sender)
Green wire with red or brown band wire #2 Black with a white stripe

2nd sender - Green plug with wire colors Green with a red or brown band #2 wire Brown with a black stripe
Old 07-21-2004, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

Boy I screwed up the wire description !!!!!
Black plug harness - (sender)
Green wire with red or brown band wire #2 Black with a white stripe

2nd sender - Green plug with wire colors Green with a red or brown band #2 wire Brown with a black stripe
Anybody out there ?
Old 07-21-2004, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Anybody out there ?
What's the question?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP - ON vacation in Charleston, SC