Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Please Help Me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help Me!!!

Hello everyone! I'm new to the board and have a major problem. I have been having transmission trouble (Automatic) in my 1994 4Runner and took it to Mr. Transmission today to get a check-up. While i was there the man said he wanted to show me what he thought while the car was still on the hydraulic lift and then see if i wanted it done. When he pointed out that he would have to take off the sway bar and driveshaft b/c of the location of the transmission pan (i think) i freaked out. This was the same thing that i drained when i changed my oil!!! The past two oil changes i have changed it myself but drained this pan instead of the oil one!! I had transmission trouble shortly after both changes with is obvious why now but always added a quart or two of the Dextron III to get the level back up. The guy at the transmission place said they need to take all that stuff out because they could not figure out where the fluid was going because there was no leak. he said the smudge at the bolt was dry and old (from my "oil" change 500 miles ago). What im wondering is what have i done and what do i need to do???? My dad said just change the oil again (take it somewhere!! lol) and fill the transmission fluid as needed. Im not sure and need some more opinions. Please hurry thanks all!!!!!
Old 01-14-2004, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

OUCH, rough learning experience.
I didn't know there was a drain plug on the auto trans but you probably only drained 1/3 of your fluid out not all of it. You might try a complete tranny flush and some good fluid. Didn't it seem kind of weird when you changed your oil and didn't need to add any oil to fill it up.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:01 PM

I was able to add 3 quarts so i thought everything was fine.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by toyotagal
I was able to add 3 quarts so i thought everything was fine.
You need to check the fluid level with the tranny hot, engine running and in neutral.
Keep adding through the dipstick tube until you reach the "full" mark.
I doubt you did any damage just check your level often (maye when you get gas?)
Use only Dextron III to fill it up.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
You need to check the fluid level with the tranny hot, engine running and in neutral.
Keep adding through the dipstick tube until you reach the "full" mark.
I doubt you did any damage just check your level often (maye when you get gas?)
Use only Dextron III to fill it up.
I think she was talking about the engine oil.

If you added fluid to it and didn't drive it around this whole time empty then I think a good flush on the tranny and changing the oil threw the right plug will be fine. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:20 PM

Yeah do that and check your oil level also. By the way was your truck smoking after these oil changes?
Old 01-14-2004, 05:21 PM

How much to Flush's run...the guy at Mr. Transmission said they were more than the check-up thing. So thats all i need to do is go get an oil change and a flush??? The oil change is definitely going to happen but why the Flush? Im a little confused. Thanks
Old 01-14-2004, 05:22 PM

No it was not smoking...what would make it smoke?
Old 01-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry, I am confused.
Did you drain the oil pan or the tranny pan?
How lo did you drive it at that low level?

I assumed it was the tranny since you were an Mr Transmission.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:53 PM

I drained the Trans pan thinking it was the oil and added new oil and filter...i drove like 400 miles before i put 1.5 quarts in...Mr. Transmission topped off the trans fluid for free and said to call back when i decided if i was going to do what they proposed...they dont know about the oil-transmission mix up! hehe...
Old 01-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

I bet you wouldn't pay more than $150 to have a tranny flush and an oil change at a toyota dealer.

Tranny flush at the dealer typically runs around $120. Check for dealer web sites in your area, they often have internet coupons for service.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't know...don't tell

I drained the Trans pan thinking it was the oil and added new oil and filter...i drove like 400 miles before i put 1.5 quarts in...Mr. Transmission topped off the trans fluid for free and said to call back when i decided if i was going to do what they proposed...they dont know about the oil-transmission mix up! hehe...
I'd fill up the tranny to the "full" mark at MTL suggested and I'd take my rig to the dealer for my oil change. At the next service level when the tranny flush is needed, I'd definitely get it done. If you don't have anymore tranny problems, which are really just low fluid levels, I wouldn't waste my time at Mr. Transmission. I would always take my vehicle to the dealer for such a major problem.

Disclaimer: These are my opinions and may or may not bear any resemblance to sanity.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Don't know...don't tell

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
I wouldn't waste my time at Mr. Transmission. I would always take my vehicle to the dealer for such a major problem.
Agreed!
Old 01-14-2004, 06:07 PM

let me get this straight. You drained the tranny thinking it was engine oil. Then you pulled the oil filter. Put on a new filter. And added more oil thinking you drained it. How much oil did you add? Did you check the oil levels after.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Don't know...don't tell

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
Disclaimer: These are my opinions and may or may not bear any resemblance to sanity.
hehehehe.....is that new?

Anyway, I agree with Brian.
I would definately pull the tranny pan and clean the screen filter.
I also suggest a flush if the fluid is not burnt (smell yours vs fresh fluid.....unmistakeable if it is!)
If it is burnt, DO NOT FLUSH IT!!!!
May cause the tranny to quit prematurely.

.....and make sure the engine oil is not overfull too!!!
Old 01-14-2004, 06:14 PM

How much oil did you add? Did you check the oil levels after.
I added 3 quarts and the levels were just at the full mark. (I guess more than normal exited through filter opening)

The guys at Mr. Transmission said that the fluid was low and dirty. Does dirty mean burnt?? So IF i get the flush i should do it at the Dealership? Thanks again
Old 01-14-2004, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
ok

I added 3 quarts and the levels were just at the full mark. (I guess more than normal exited through filter opening)

The guys at Mr. Transmission said that the fluid was low and dirty. Does dirty mean burnt?? So IF i get the flush i should do it at the Dealership? Thanks again
Dirty DOES NOT mean burnt. Yes, take it to the DEALERSHIP! The guys at Mr. Transmission might be nice, but I wouldn't let them change my kids diapers, much less something on my 4Runner. I also refer to my earlier remarks.

Disclaimer: Ibid
Old 01-14-2004, 06:18 PM

Ok! So go and get the oil changed now and flush when needed or do both right away??? I need to be driving it so i'll likely do it this weekend. Thanks
Old 01-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Ok! So go and get the oil changed now and flush when needed or do both right away??? I need to be driving it so i'll likely do it this weekend. Thanks
I agree, dealer not Mr Tranny.
If it is just dirty then DO flush it (make sure they pull the pan and clean the filter!)
Old 01-14-2004, 07:00 PM

I wonder if a guy posted this there would be so much feedback?