Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

please help,95 4runner clutch probs...??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question please help,95 4runner clutch probs...??

this is the original clutch.. it has 125000 miles on it. i thought that is has been going out because when starting in first gear it has not been as smooth as it used to be, but shifting into second and third did not seen to be too bad. but today i noticed something different that i cant explain. it only does this in 4th gear from what i can tell. When driving in 4th gear with the clutch totally out, if i press the gas hard the engine accellerates but does accelerate the car as much as it should, the revs go up but the car doesnt go faster praportionally with the revs. then if i quickly let off the gas, the revs seem to slow down back to the speed traveling.... please anyone who know i need advise. thanks. walt
Old 05-25-2004, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like you clutch is gone. 4th gear should give a 1 to 1 ratio so there is more load on your clutch. You can probably hold the lower gears because you have enough mechanical advantage threw gearing to over come the slipping. If 4th is already gone the clutch is on it's last leg and the other gears will follow suit.
Most people around here will tell you to get an OEM replacement because they are easier on the rest of your drive train amung other reason's. Do a search for "clutch" and I'm sure you can find some links with good prices. Member TOR works at a Toyota dealership also, you could try getting a quote for one from him.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by wmcbrier
this is the original clutch.. it has 125000 miles on it. i thought that is has been going out because when starting in first gear it has not been as smooth as it used to be, but shifting into second and third did not seen to be too bad. but today i noticed something different that i cant explain. it only does this in 4th gear from what i can tell. When driving in 4th gear with the clutch totally out, if i press the gas hard the engine accellerates but does accelerate the car as much as it should, the revs go up but the car doesnt go faster praportionally with the revs. then if i quickly let off the gas, the revs seem to slow down back to the speed traveling.... please anyone who know i need advise. thanks. walt
It sounds like its going out With basic shop tools you should be able to to the clutch in a day the first time. there is a test you can do. do a search you will find it.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:00 PM

here is the test. found the post
An old, tried, and true test:

Place shifter in neutral.
Apply parking brake.
Depress clutch pedal.
Shift into first gear.
Slowly release clutch (note that parking brake is still applied).

If the vehicle stalls, your clutch is engaging the flywheel enough.

If the vehicle doesn't stall, the clutch is slipping and you need to replace it.

If you want to know if the end is near, look for things such as RPMs moving up while you press down on the gas, but speed staying constant. But, for the most part, as long as it passes the above test you're ok.