Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please help

so nobody knows anything about replacing box sides on an 89 pickup? or nobody knows anything about where i can find a new box with no rust? any help is greatly apreciated, i am painting my truck in a week and a half
thanks cody
Old 08-04-2004, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you talking about the fenders on the tailgate?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:07 AM

Location: Bend, Oregon. 4mer Teufelhund, now a DoD Contractor
so is getting one of the special offroad plastic pre-runner full race fender set-ups and option?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MODZILLA
so is getting one of the special offroad plastic pre-runner full race fender set-ups and option?
that would be a great way to go, not only do you get rust free fenders, but they give you added room for larger tires without requiring more lift.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:28 AM

I am talking about the fenders, or box sides, not the tailgate,
and no i don't really like the idea of the aftermarket fenders with bigger wheel wells because i don;t really have a use for them because i am not planning on getting bigger tires without a lift and i don't really like the look of them either, plus then i would have to buy new fronts aswell, so i am just trying to keep it stock, and i didn't really want to go with fiberglass because you will never get it straight and there is the risk of cracking, so i am willing to rick the chance of rust again,
i have prriced out new sides and they are $300 which is resonable but i have no idea how hard they are to put on
thanks for the help oso far
cody
Old 08-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Memphis_Yota
I am talking about the fenders, or box sides, not the tailgate,
and no i don't really like the idea of the aftermarket fenders with bigger wheel wells because i don;t really have a use for them because i am not planning on getting bigger tires without a lift and i don't really like the look of them either, plus then i would have to buy new fronts aswell, so i am just trying to keep it stock, and i didn't really want to go with fiberglass because you will never get it straight and there is the risk of cracking, so i am willing to rick the chance of rust again,
i have prriced out new sides and they are $300 which is resonable but i have no idea how hard they are to put on
thanks for the help oso far
cody
Its a pretty involved process. You have to take all the spot welds out, and seperate the sides from the main portion of the box, not to mention if the box sides are rusting, once you take the box sides off, im sure you'll find more rust.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:46 AM

Location: Bend, Oregon. 4mer Teufelhund, now a DoD Contractor
Just thought I'd throw that out there. if it was me then I guess I'd try to find the complete box from a salvage yard. i'd be calling everywhere I could think of. haven't had much success trying to find salvage parts via the internet.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:21 PM

k well i found a box 6 hours south of me in maple ridge, i can get it for about 800 bucks which i am willing to pay but i have no idea what condition it is in, i am just going on what the junkyard has told me, it has a dent in the left side which in no big deal with no rust, but i am working everyday and don't really feel like going down there and having it turn out not to be worth it, does anybody here live down in the vancouver area / maple ridge that might be willing to help out, this would be muchly apreciated, keep me posted
cody
Old 08-04-2004, 08:00 PM

Are they open on Saturday and what are their hours if they are? I'm heading up to Van. Friday night on a double date, but I won't have time. However.... I'm heading up to Van. Saturday to take my girlfriend to see the "Symphony of Fire". I've got plans in Bellingham from 10-12pm. But I have some time in between to check out the bed.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:33 PM

This is where I point out the virtues of fabricating a flat bed.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:25 PM

hey onetricktoy,
i ahve no idea right now if they are open on saturday, i would imagine so but i can find out tomorow to see what there hours are, if you could do this that would sooo apreciated, i can pm you tomorow after 4 to find out there hours and let you know the details thanks alot again

and hey amusement, i i know the virtues of a flatbed but i don't really want to take that route, i am not huge into wheeling and i don;t really have a need for one, but thanks for the info lol
cody