Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Place your 03 V6 4runner engine noises here

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Place your 03 V6 4runner engine noises here

Hey all,
If you've had any engine noises with the 03 4runner v6, please let us know.
I have experienced the following two engine noises:

1) Chirping sound that sounds like its coming from either a belt, or a pulley that the belt is on. I have an appointment with Toyota to check this one out. It does it all the time, hot or cold engine, but mostly when its cold.

2) Diesling noise. Sounds like either the valves rattling or fuel injectors making a clicking noise. Toyota says this is normal for the V6 engine. I had them pull in another brand new V6 into the Toyota garage and start it up. Sure enough, once it was warm, it started making the same clicking noise I've described. Thus, I'm assuming this is common for the V6.

Any help/comments appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 04-30-2003, 05:23 AM

DaveyTN,

Have a 03 V6 SR5 4WD. I have noticed a clicking / sputtering noise (hard to describe in words) on acceleration and when I drive by a wall or embankment. The point is, it’s not a smooth acceleration roar. However, I don’t hear any chirping sounds.

fsudave
Old 04-30-2003, 05:24 AM

ive got both you describe except the belt sound is only for a few minutes when I start up. Im going to the dealer now and ill tell you what happens
Old 04-30-2003, 11:19 AM

Ok, I just got back from Toyota and the squeeky noise that I'm hearing turns out to be the serpentine belt in the engine. They put some talcom powder on the belt and the noise completely and instantly went away. They told me to call back in a couple of weeks to check on the status of a new belt. It was nice to find out that the problem was just a belt - didn't want to have to open up the new engine.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:22 PM

Same here...

I just purchased an SR5 V6 Sport (it has 1000 km on it now) and I too notice the fluttering sound from the engine. It is most noticeable when you drive by a wall or another vehicle, but it is ALWAYS there...Maybe I'm just anal, but on a $40,000 + vehicle, that noise shouldnt be there....

I took it to the dealer earlier this week and they were of no help. They said "Yup, I hear it...." but because its a brand new model and engine, they have nothing to compare it to. He said the Highlander makes a similar noise and that is normal. He advised me to keep driving it and bring it back if it gets worse.....I must say Im a bit frustrated with it. Its driving me nuts now!!!
Old 05-04-2003, 06:00 AM

The only sound or feeling that really bothers me is when the tach is sitting between 2000 and 2500. I heard and feel a strong vibration and then if you slow down it goes away. I was told earlier that this is normal (something to do with the mating of the engine and the transmission). If you look under your 4Runner from the passenger side on the back of the transfer case you will see an odd looking black metal piece attached to it with bolts. This thing was manufactured to reduce the vibration but I still feel it driving around 70 mhp. Besides that and the bad sulfur smell when I accellerate I love this SUV.

Old 05-18-2003, 07:46 PM

Problem Solved?

Ok so I took it into the dealer again and they thought that it was the shims in the lifters being a tad bit too small (aparently there are 35 different sizes). So they took my engine apart and realized that they are the correct size and that the shims are not the problem...

However the service manager did find this out: He said there is a bulletin coming out (not even out yet) stating that the problem is the EXHAUST MANIFOLD. Aparently it needs to be replaced and Toyota will be issuing a bulletin in the very near future.

Once the part is in they are going to replace it for me...I will repost once this has been done.

Does anyone have any experience with this (exhaust manifold)? Does this sound like it could actually be the source of the ticking / fluttering noise from the engine?
Old 06-09-2003, 07:12 PM
SRGNTD

Yup,

I have the ticking here and fluttering noise as well as belt problem.

Toyota Corp called today and they said their coming out with a TSB for the Belt/Tensioner. Don't know when though.

Does talcon powder really work on belts? I always thought chalk would do the trick?

Gotta try that.