Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Pinging/Fuel/Plugs

Old 10-25-2006, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinging/Fuel/Plugs

I'm having a huge problem with pinging. This is in a 3.4, 96 SR5, 5spd, no SC. Sea Foam has been run through the intake and in the fuel to help clean it out. Not a great deal of white smoke afterward. Going to continue running 92/93 octane.

Question:
Run cooler plugs?
Pull injectors and have ultrasonically cleaned?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks Andrew
Old 10-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Are your plugs and fuel filter new? Did you use NGK's and a factory filter? How long has this been going on? How long did you let the SeaFoam sit in the intake?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:13 PM

Before anything I would get the timing checked. If you have recently replaced the timing belt it could wear in and stretch from where it is suppossed to be. As well as if the timing belt is very old it could be stretched.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:59 PM

I had a similiar problem, however, before I decided to sink any real money trying to figure out what it was...I decided to replace the essentials first. I started and ended with spark plugs, it turns out the plugs were gapped completely wrong. After gapping them properly, the truck ran good as new. Bottom line, check the basic things first...it could be the smallest of things such as a bad plug or something.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:17 PM

Are your plugs and fuel filter new? Did you use NGK's and a factory filter? How long has this been going on? How long did you let the SeaFoam sit in the intake?
Fuel filter is new and the plugs have about 6K miles on them. Sea Foam sat three different times 15,30,45min. The airfilter is the same Amsoil filter that I have used for 7 years. It cleaned/oiled appropriately. And naturally - I clean the MAF each year.

Before anything I would get the timing checked. If you have recently replaced the timing belt it could wear in and stretch from where it is suppossed to be. As well as if the timing belt is very old it could be stretched.
That is a good suggestion. I had the timing belt replace about 5K ago.

I had a similiar problem, however, before I decided to sink any real money trying to figure out what it was...I decided to replace the essentials first. I started and ended with spark plugs, it turns out the plugs were gapped completely wrong. After gapping them properly, the truck ran good as new. Bottom line, check the basic things first...it could be the smallest of things such as a bad plug or something.
This has been a progressive problem. Good suggestion to regap the plugs.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give these a try.
Andrew
Old 10-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Smile Pinging/Fuel/Plugs

I has a similar problem. I only wanted to be in there once so: I verified the Spark Plug Wires resistances were good, then, verified the the Ignition Coils Primary and Secondary resistances, then, replaced the plugs after checking gaps on the new IK20 ( one step cooler), and drained and refilled the Cooling System with Toyota Antifreeze/ Distilled Water 60/40 with water Wetter, plus, NAPA 170 Thermostat. All was GOOD.

Hope this helps.
Mike
Old 10-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Smile Pinging/Fuel/Plugs

Above reply should have read:

Toyota Antifreeze/Distilled Water 40/60 with Water Wetter.

Mike

Search this Thread