Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

(pics) Sunk 4Runner. Electrical, Mechanical, and Emotional help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(pics) Sunk 4Runner. Electrical, Mechanical, and Emotional help needed

So I will try to explain everything the best I can... someone please read and enjoy my horrible weekend. But more importantly...weigh in on your opinions....please......

Got stuck in a river last Saturday. Water filled up the inside, not quite to the CD player, but pretty decently. The first thing that happened was the horn went off (and stayed on for the next few hours while I try to tie ropes and chains under the front end...fml) I am pretty sure the 'factory security system' got activated or shorted out...From my limited knowledge of hydrolocking I left the truck running to prevent water from going back down the exhaust. The airbox never got fully submerged so it kept running for a while...but meanwhile the lights on the interior slowly died and at some point the dash quit out. Buddies Jeep couldn't pull me out and we ended up waiting for about 4 hours (while I tried just about everything in the freezing water to free her). The 4runner was low on gas when we first got stuck and either ran out of gas or the battery died around hour 3. Hour 4, another jeep with wench shows up and pulls me to dry land. (it is dark now and I am shaking uncontrollably while trying to stay warm)

Let it sit overnight and we towed her home in the morning. I thought the engine would be fine but wanted to be 100% sure before I went to try and crank it so I pulled the plugs and tried to turn the engine over. Battery was dead so we had it jumping off another vehicle. (Note: security system is now excited to have more juice and sings the song of its people. until we unplug the horns...then just more high pitched siren.) Turning key, no click from starter, silence. (well...there is the siren..) Unplug battery to save eardrums, scratch head in confusion. Fuses looked good. We ended up plugging the battery again and measuring current at the starter when I turned the key, so we decided to pull the starter and clean it. (it was disgusting. muddy stuff all inside, we cleaned, regreased and replaced.)

After cleaning it we still had same issue of no clicking, nothing. (hmmm...alternator time??) At this point I am running out of time and source a ride back home (4hours away) for work on monday. Last ditch effort we do a roll start with the spark plugs out and let that clear the cylinders. We put plugs back in, hook everything up and roll start it. Cranks up!

Let it idle in the driveway for a bit before limping to the gas station. Put 50$ in, and messed with some door plugs I have exposed. At this point I notice a bundle of wires going up under steering column. Moving these causes my instrument cluster to come back on momentarily (and the alarm system cuts off) Its a miracle!!! But wait, no its back to bad. And the lights begin to dim as I drive away. Suddenly I've got almost no power, and end up having my friend tow me back to my buddies house again. This time we cannot pull start it (behind his jeep and slowly letting the clutch out into 2nd gear)

(update about the annoying security system short...so as time progressed, when it was idling at the house eventually the system turned off when the doors were closed and the lights were turned off. Lights on, or door open, WHEEEEEEEE goes the siren)

The drive to the gas station made me think the TPS was off. Poor driving...sputtering and just no power...Time to research more about TPS...

Question #1: Does the security system keep the starter from functioning properly or is my starter fried? (After some searching I have found that people do have problems cranking when their systems are in alert mode, so is it possible that my starter is good and just the security issue?)

Question #2: Should I just go ahead and buy a new Alternator? (the power seemed to be dying off pretty quickly and if it is anywhere near as clogged as the starter...mmmmyeah.) But then again I am no expert on electronics.

Question #3: Should I go ahead and grab a used ECU or should this dry out and be ok? I mean, the engine ran...which makes me think the ECU is ok?
-------------------------------
After I figure out these issues I am obviously going to be swapping some fluids, but my primary concern is to get the engine running again! So this weekend I have to drive 4 hours south to hopefully fix her and drive her home!
---------------------------------
Attached Thumbnails (pics) Sunk 4Runner. Electrical, Mechanical, and Emotional help needed-1891224_10201666163031935_906812801_n.jpg   (pics) Sunk 4Runner. Electrical, Mechanical, and Emotional help needed-finding-nemo.jpg   (pics) Sunk 4Runner. Electrical, Mechanical, and Emotional help needed-jeff1.jpg  
Old 02-25-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Whew!! Glad I'm not you.
I'd rather fix one that had been blown up and then endo-d down the mountain 5 or 6 times.
You are likely never going to see the end of electrical gremlins in this rig.
Sorry for your loss.
I'd start by opening any and all electrical connectors that I could touch and drying them by spraying with WD-40 or similar and then after a day or 2, reconnecting after greasing with dielectric silicone grease.

Last edited by millball; 02-25-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WHAT EXACTLY WERE YOU DOING DUDE. COULDN'T YOU TELL IT WAS DEEEEEEP.

back about 5 years ago I bought a 87 Toyota 4Runner that was lost in a flood. The guy thought he could wade the water to get home. The runner died leaving it stranded. The water was clean over the hood. This was a 22RE runner.

I purchased the runner for $200.00 bucks. I tried and tried to start it but never would crank over. My dad bump started me one day and it ran. I ended up having to buy a starter. After replacing the starter the runner ran great. I never had another issue. Although mine was completely under water. I filled everything with diesel fuel and let it set for a few days. I then drained it all and replaced with proper oils.

When I was in Arkansas I hydro locked my 93 pickup. I had muddy water up to my radio in it. After replacing the engine it started up. Never any other issues.

Now the start to this is my vehicles were completely ˟˟˟˟ down before the water reached any electrical components. Which is probably what saved mine from having gremlins.

GOOD LUCK..

Do not turn it into insurance and sell it. That way they don't have a CAR FACTS.... LMAO.. Seriously good luck man..

PS: did you drain the fuel tank. It may have water in the fuel.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:49 PM

if you can, take it to a car wash and give it a good soaking. If anything it will make it easier to work on with the fine sand and dirt washed off. After that let it bake in the sun for a few days to dry out. Check every fluid. Your battery might be toast which could cause your charging issues. Do not start throwing money at it hoping to save it. One thing at a time. Whats the problem, causes of problem, troubleshoot causes, repair problem.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:54 AM

To start sorry man, I agree with everyone so far however, I'm willing to bet if water got that far and sat I'm sure a lot of electrical stuff is gonna go bro if not already did when you drove it. I know the ABS control module sits down by the front passenger feet area, maybe didn't get the ECU(behind glove box)? Highly unlikely! sounds like short galore I paid $700 for the pros (not really if you ask me) to find one short in my main wire harness all labor! Water damaged vehicles are night mares I'm sure everything in the driveline (stuff with breathers) got water in it too. It's a money pit now, I'd say if the motor is save-able pull it try and find another 4runner, maybe blown motor and swap them over? Good luck bro and don't go where you don't know I also learned that not nearly as bad as you!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:21 PM

WOO! Been there done that! Just not as bad. I know the feeling though, and it completely sucks. Mine died after a minute or so in the water, maf got wet. Luckily for me it was crystal clear spring water so mud residue or remnants weren't left behind. I'm sorry to say but all these people above me are kind of spot on. You'll be lucky to not have to chase down future problems. I guess I'd start with the security and make sure everything is unplugged from it. If it's doesn't start you can move on to the next in line. If it was real nasty water I'd might suggest a new starter and alternator.

Some good ideas for you:

Run 'Heat' through the gas
Toyota EFI System Cleanse
Oil Change immediately with Sea Foam treatment
Full Transmission Flush (dropping pan and changing filter)
Transfer Case and Axle Diff Oil Changes
Probably new Starter
Probably new Alternator
New Spark Plugs
New Air Filter
Possibly New ECU
Possibly New ABS Module (if your abs acts up any)
Pssobily MAF Cleaning
Possibly Throttle Bottle Cleaning
Pssoibly New Water Pump (if you begin to see high temps)

Join up and post this on www.t4r.org and you'll probably get a lot of responses as well.

btw, here's what I did... Gotta keep in mind I'm also on 35's so it was pretty deep. Yours was still worse for sure.

Last edited by JWaldz; 02-26-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:32 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
So uh... what were your intentions when you first saw this mass of water?
Old 02-26-2014, 05:25 PM

Just being dumb I suppose, but made for an eventful weekend. Nothing like a good learning experience! (the runner had actually drove in and turned around in almost that exact spot, but for some reason the second time I caught the skid plate good enough to leave me stuck, which caused the minor flooding issues)

Thanks for all the advice, and JWalds, thanks for your input! Yeah mine is lifted about 2.5/3in with just some 265/75's but doesn't look very cool from the water haha. Spark plugs looked good and filter was clean, I think you may be dead on with most of the stuff though!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think water got into my gas system? It ran for over 2 hours on below empty? If there was a leak I'm pretty sure I would have noticed earlier on... And the water never got over the fuel filler cap.

"So uh... what were your intentions when you first saw this mass of water?" bahahahaha. oh man, you guys make me feel like driving into a body of water is something normal offroaders don't do?

Regardless...I am pretty confident I can figure this out, it may take a lot of work and learning, but hey...at least I won't be afraid of electrical systems anymore!
Old 02-26-2014, 05:47 PM

You got a damn good attitude bro. Good luck with this one. If your willing to diagnose and learn then you probably got a good project on your hands.

Any other questions just ask us
Old 02-27-2014, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
You got a damn good attitude bro.
No kidding.. I was PISSED OFF beyond belief for like 2 weeks when I submerged mine.

Good luck with everything Paul.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:50 AM

First off buy one of these, there's a guy local to where I live who owns one. Then you can go across any river/lake/ocean you feel like.

Second, buy yourself a good multimeter, you'll be chasing electrical shorts for a while, me thinks.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:58 AM

Some other things to add to the cleaning list, in the cab are the blower motors front and rear, the heater ducts are probably clogged up or pretty nasty! I would try and I take the center console out where your shifter is at and clean that up as well! All of the doors that were submerged will have stuff in them, I'd say passenger windows motors don't have a lot of life left! There plastic sliders in there as well I'd try and lube up before the sand sets in. I'm sure those stock paper cones are done too! Good luck I'll add more as I think of more
Old 03-04-2014, 06:09 PM

:::::::::::::::UPDATE:::::::::::::::::
Cleaned the VIP alarm brain out (it was disgusting!) with Circuit Board cleaner and toothbrush. Looked like body ECU/fuse box was above the flood plane, all the terminals were dried and cleaned (and greased) and carpet was yanked out. Still needs to be shampooed but it will happen one night this week (or maybe just Saturday). We realized the AM1 fuse was blowing when I turned the ignition so that lead me to believe the starter was bad. (you may recall that we actually pulled the starter out and cleaned/regreased, but what you don't know is that I know nothing about how to properly test one, so we just threw it back in with hopes it would work again - no need for useful links friends, I had the diagram in my hands...but me and electrical diagrams...ugh) We roll started it and it drove around the block. Loaded her up on the rescue trailer and drove home.

----------
Been busy with work but managed to put a few hours of wrenching in the last couple nights. Yanked off the starter again, and (with the help of my father who actually knows how to read electrical hieroglyphics) discovered that the starter was fried. Bought a new starter for 89$, threw in a new 40amp AM1 fuse and she cranked right up.

Total investment so far:
time ripping carpet and cleaning
tranny/diff/ect fluids: TBD
gas back and forth from Valdosta: $120
new starter: $89
sea foam: $7
AIR FRESHNAHS! ???? Yes, river water has lost that special appeal it once held in my heart....until next summer.
....to be continued....

So cranked up no problem, but there is a definite stutter when there is a load on the engine (particularly in low RPM range) I am going to run a can of SeaFoam through the gas to see if that will clear this up but plan on searching a little more about the Throttle Position Sensor (I have read a couple threads where this was the solution to a very similar engine stutter ((after being submerged in water)))