Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Pics of my '92 4Runner SR5

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics of my '92 4Runner SR5

I've had it for a little more than 4 years...haven't had any trouble with it, except two sensors in the tranny went out and I had to replace the speedo...so now it's a 92 with about 5,000 miles on it. But I have about 118K on it total. Haven't done much to it until this summer...when I put a Kicker sub-box with a 10", a Pioneer HU with remote and an amp with JVC speakers all the way around. I have some MB Quarts to put in next, just haven't done it...plus I'll need another amp. But it sounds remarkably good for what it is...

I put new rotors and calipers on this summer too...stops on a dime now. Can't believe the brakes. The wheels are stockers, but I sanded them down, primed 'em and painted 'em black. Looks SOOOOO much better like that. My project this weekend was to paint the chrome part around the license plate. When I bought it, it had just the OY letters, which I'm sure the previous owner did on purpose. But the holes were still in the plastic/chrome frame piece. I used some body filler to fill those in, sanded it down, primed it and painted it. Subtle, but I think it looks kewl. I masked off the frame to paint it, but if anyone knows how to remove the whole frame assembly, let me know! I'm sure it just clips in, but I didn't try too hard since I wasn't sure how to take it out. Anyone know how to remove it?! I'd like to touch it up a bit...

Great truck...it's loaded with all power, cruise, everything but leather...but I'm not sure if that was an option on the 92.

Anyhoo...I'd like to get involved in taking it off-road...I am guessing that I need a wench (??) and whatever other gear to make it off-road worthy...any ideas on that? I'm in Austin, so there has to be plenty of places to take it. Moved from Chicago in Feb back to Austin (I'm from Houston) and the War Wagon was huge fun in the snow. Now it's time to hit the dirt...

Here are a couple pics I took today...enjoy!

Looks pretty good, eh?

And yes, bigger tires are on the agenda...
Old 10-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Yea, looks good. I am confuesed about the license plate deck beeing painted and all the other stuff being chrome. Was that replaced at some point? I have tried to take mine off and it didn't look like it was replaceable.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmm...I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you mean the reverse lights? What other parts do you mean by being chrome and the license frame being black. I'm probably missing something...

I'm almost positive that it's the original piece. The reverse lights mount inside the frame piece with two screws. I took them out along with the license plate itself, masked everything and went to work...

The goofy thing about the frame assembly...I saw no other screws besides the ones that hold the lights in. So I'm betting it just clips in, but I don't know for sure, which is why I left it on the truck to paint it. I have actually thought about de-chroming the entire truck...would look sharp with the black wheels and tinted windows, but that's a ˟˟˟˟load of work.

Let me know what I'm missing and I'll see if I can give you a better answer...
Old 10-11-2004, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

I'm talking about the part that the backup lights and licens plate screw onto, with TOYOTA at the top. I think you are right about it clipping on. I did the oposite of de-chromeing, I chromed mine by replaceing the bumpers, grill, and lights. That frame is one of the only things left that is still painted and I have always wanted to replace it.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

See, this is a chrome one:
Old 10-11-2004, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

O yea, and this is mine that I re-painted last year since it was all worn allong the top:
Old 10-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

oops, should have read more of your post, you painted it.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

OK, cool...

I checked out your truck's webpage. Love the gauges. Looks good. Might think about doing that one in the next month or two. Looks like a fair amount of work.

What kit did you use for the xenon headlights? I'd like to do this...sealed beam lights blow. Or were you just referring to the sidemarker lights being xenon?

Your truck looks awesome...nice job!

Last edited by GregStevens; 10-11-2004 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Greg, good looking 92. I just had my speedo replaced this year too. Only have 2000 miles on her now. Is this beginning to be a common problem for 2nd gens? Love the look of the blacked out wheels and also, noticed no butt sag. Has the rear coils been replaced?
Old 10-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Paul...

I dig the black wheels, too. They had a few rusty spots before...this is a huge change.

And yea, the butt sag...I haven't done anything about that. Was going to look into springs shortly. I'll do a search here, but if you have any suggestions, feel free to post here. I have the rear shocks, I just haven't put them in yet. Might be good to put new springs in at the same time since I'll be under there. Any tips? Did you do that to yours yet?

Funny you had the speedo crap out, too. Mine would work sometimes, but then sometimes it would just jump all over or not work at all. Glad to have that sorted out though...I wonder if many other 92's have had this problem, as well...
Old 10-11-2004, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GregStevens
Thanks Paul...

I dig the black wheels, too. They had a few rusty spots before...this is a huge change.

And yea, the butt sag...I haven't done anything about that. Was going to look into springs shortly. I'll do a search here, but if you have any suggestions, feel free to post here. I have the rear shocks, I just haven't put them in yet. Might be good to put new springs in at the same time since I'll be under there. Any tips? Did you do that to yours yet?
I just did my rear spings last summer. I found a little trick to it that makes it a very easy job (this involves using a small jack to un-load the springs) but I have yet to post a thread about it so let me know If you want pictures. The headlights were off e-bay and only cost $40 but the bulbs blow. That's not important, just make sure you get glass chambers and the bulbs are replaceable. Thanks for the complements! The gaues were $40 on e-bay also.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good. My hometown is Georgetown which is about 30 miles north of Austin. I hate to break it to you, but there really isn't many places to wheel in Texas unless you have your own property. Check out Texas in the 4roc section here and you'll find a little info.

Anyways, what kind of problems were you having with your speedo? Another member here (Robinhood) was having problems with his and replaced the VSS on the tranny and that fixed it. My speedo likes to wig-out and get stuck on certain speeds or just not work. However I'm not getting a CE light as Robinhood did so I'd like to do a little more troubleshooting before I drop $250 on that stupid sensor.

Welcome to the board!

Old 10-12-2004, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

When my speedo went out I got a check engine light and the speedo got stuck on zero. Took it to Merchants, they replaced a sensorand still did not work. They told me to take it to a dealer. The dealer said it's a sensor, replaced the same one as before, still did not work. Three days later they called and said it was the speedo. $400 later, it finally worked. cost of speedo and labor.

As for the coils, I have OME coils. The rear is now about 1 1/2 inches higher than the front. I like the raised look. Will try to get an updated picture tomorrow. Another coil to look at are Downeys. They will even out the truck. Maney people on the board have those.
Which shocks are you going with? Are you going to replace the steering stabilizer too?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:20 AM

YYZ? Sweet.. a Rush fan, I think.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul H.
Greg, good looking 92. I just had my speedo replaced this year too. Only have 2000 miles on her now. Is this beginning to be a common problem for 2nd gens?
Mine was replaced with 43K on the ticker. The one in the dash now reads 93K.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Here is mine with the OME's.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of my '92 4Runner SR5-im000114.jpg  
Old 10-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Nix_Toy, yep, bigtime Rush fan...I was wondering if anyone would catch that.

Unfortunately, a trip to Colorado last month, brought just about all my Rush CD's...what did I do? Left them in the f'ing rental car! I have everything ripped, but what a pisser. So I'm buying all the CD's again.

AgRunner06, my speedo, all of a sudden one night, stopped working. Then a little later on that trip, it started working again. It was hit or miss from then on. It sounds to me like yours is on the same path. I don't know for sure since with mine I replaced the two sensors and the speedo unit at the same time. I do think it was a mechanical failure in the unit itself, though. Sounds like others here have had similar issues.

As for springs, yea, I think that's next. I have a quote for the OME springs at 135...is that a good price? For shocks, I have two gas charged rears in the back...bought them a couple of months ago at Autozone, don't remember what brand they are though...duh! I am new to modding my truck...did all kinds of stuff to the S2000, but all the truck stuff is pretty new. I would be happiest w/ light duty off-road springs, but with a nice ride around town, too. A good compromise spring would be best...

Is the steering stabilizer something I should replace at a given mileage? What a the benefits, etc?

I still need that damn running board cover on the rear part on the passenger side. Got a quote from toyotajunkyard.com (I think) for 65 bucks. I'm sure they are more than that at the stealer, though...I may pull the trigger on that, too. Looks bad without it.

Also, haven't taken it to any trails...bummed to hear there isn't much in the Austin area. I thought for sure it'd be an active area. I'll look around though. Thanks for the tip...

Thanks for the welcome...this is a great forum.

Old 10-16-2004, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

Greg, $135 is what I paid for mine. They give a very nice ride. Not harsh at all. Go ahead and replace the steering stabilizer. You will notice a big change. OME makes a direct replacement. With the Rancho you have to buy a kit.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Paul H.
Greg, $135 is what I paid for mine. They give a very nice ride. Not harsh at all. Go ahead and replace the steering stabilizer. You will notice a big change. OME makes a direct replacement. With the Rancho you have to buy a kit.
Procomp also makes one. It's cheap, works well, and only takes about 45 minutes to install. And its about $50 shipped.

Old 10-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Went to the local 4x4 shop today, which is a national chain, I believe (can't remember the name). Struck out on the Piaa H4's, the OME springs, and spark plug wires! Couldn't believe it. So I went to Autozone and got some wires and put them in this afternoon. The old ones, even though I'm sure are original, didn't look too bad at all. Had a bit of trouble getting access, but got them all out...and didn't even myself. Can't remember the last time THAT happened...I usually walk away with spilling at least a little blood.

One thing that surprised me. I loosened up the intake tube to get access to the driver's side plugs. I would fire it up after each wire to make sure it was good, but after not tightening up the tube and trying to start it, it would start then die pretty much immediately. It wasn't even CLOSE to being disconnected...just a little loose. Tightened it up and it ran great.

Got Ultra Spark wires...nothing real fancy, but they were already made. I didn't have to splice anything like I would have to do with the MSD wire set. I'm sure these will do the job very well.

So I looked at the shocks. I bought Gabriels a while back, but haven't put them in yet. The top shock bolts seem to have a bit of rust. Should I let Liquid Wrench get in there for a day or so before I try to take them out (without the help of power tools)? Or any other secret recipe for loosening the rust/bolt? I saw something called PB something or other...never used that before. Good stuff?

I'll order the Procomp stabilizer bar this week, too. Sounds like a pretty easy install. Thanks for all the tips and ideas, I appreciate it all!

Quick Reply: Pics of my '92 4Runner SR5