Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Pics: 2000 Taco SR5 Mods (3.4L) [dialup warning]

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics: 2000 Taco SR5 Mods (3.4L) [dialup warning]

Hey All,

Wanted to thank everyone who helped me get the right stuff on my truck. The following pics are of the Airaid MIT/Deckplate and a 4x9x18 Magnaflow w/a turn-down pipe. I'm completely happy with everything. Just thought I'd post pictures since it doesn't seem like TOO many people have the MIT instead of the ISR mod and a turn-down pipe on their muffler. Anyways, enjoy...

Old 02-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Contributing Member

Looking very nice!

I'm sure someone's already asked but what did you use for the intake tube on the ISR mod?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:54 PM

What up TacoDude.... the Airaid MIT is a replacement option for the ISR mod. It's a straight pipe that connects from the throttle body to the stock airbox. It comes with all the extra hoses and nipples to make it an easy and clean job. I bought it from here.... http://www.central4wd.com/store/itemdetail.asp?ID=9438. Main reason I bought this is because I have the older style of plumbing and it would've costed me more to buy the two stock Toyota pieces found on the newer trucks. I've never heard the sound of a home-made ISR job but the Airaid MIT howl's something fierce. Cool thing is when I put the deckplate on it quiets it down quite a bit so it gives me options (having the deckplate open gives me better throttle response though).
Old 02-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

ah okay... I see it now. #1 picture hadn't loaded before the rest but now that I see it :pat:
Old 02-22-2005, 05:39 PM

Ha, no problem. Question: Did you do the ISR mod? If you did how loud is your's at WOT? Mine actually drowns out the 18" magnaflow w/the deckplate off! It's loud but sweet sounding. Just wondering how loud the ISR mod was compared to the MIT.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

I have yet to reinstall my ISR with the Magnaflow in.
I am not familiar with ping and don't want to pay the exorbitant amount for premium gas.

That and I'm still waiting to see if there are any long term effects to this mod. I know that 2 very knowledgeable guys went at it last year and I have yet to make up my mind. Until I do I'll just leave it off.

Though... maybe I should try now
Old 02-22-2005, 06:51 PM

I've never heard the "ping"... although I have no idea what the "ping" sounds like. I do know I haven't heard any added engine sounds aside from the growls and throatier intake noise. I'm liking it a lot. No complaints here. Besides... I can't imagine feeding the engine more air would hurt anything. I even talked to my service manager at Toyota and he said it shouldn't mess anything up. They do make these engines capable of taking on a super charger so I think it's safe.... just my .02.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Mine is REALLY loud at WOT with the ISR mod and 6" deckplate. I like the clean look of the Airaid, but I doubt it makes much, if any, of a power difference in comparison to the ISR mod. Not like it matters.

I am more interested in the turn-down of the exhaust. There is quite a bit of crimp-bent stock pipe from the rear axle back. I bet a turn down made a nice difference in throttle response. My only dilemma with a turn down is that it is illegal in AZ. The exhaust outlet must be behind the rear axle. In fact, most states are like that. I can just picture it becoming a problem at a smog check...maybe.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:00 PM

Ha.... I kept the stock muffler and tailpipe.... I'll also keep my fingers crossed.

I could've sworn I saw some older full sized Chevy's with turndowns a while back here in Colorado. Wonder if they "got away" with it. I hope they let it slide. I really like the clean look not having the tail pipe as well as the increase performance w/out that crooked A$$ tailpipe. We'll see what happens... I still have a few years before a check up. I'm sure you'll hear me either ranting or raving about it.

Glad to hear the ISR mod is just as good. I only went with the Airaid for 2 main reasons:

1.) I had the older style plumbing in which I would've had to buy the two Toyota intake tubes that go to the silencer (cost would've been more expensive than the Airaid)

2.) You're right... much cleaner.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Mine is REALLY loud at WOT with the ISR mod and 6" deckplate. I like the clean look of the Airaid, but I doubt it makes much, if any, of a power difference in comparison to the ISR mod. Not like it matters.

I am more interested in the turn-down of the exhaust. There is quite a bit of crimp-bent stock pipe from the rear axle back. I bet a turn down made a nice difference in throttle response. My only dilemma with a turn down is that it is illegal in AZ. The exhaust outlet must be behind the rear axle. In fact, most states are like that. I can just picture it becoming a problem at a smog check...maybe.
I think that for most states it's not legal on an SUV but i think it's ok on pick-ups since they are considered "trucks".
Old 02-27-2005, 06:30 PM

Is this Airaid mod worth the money? How much HP gains with this and the deckplate? $90 is not a huge amount but I would like to see some gains as opposed to just intake sound. I know the ISR mod is cheaper but I don't feel like fabricating anything right now.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by TACOMANATOR
Is this Airaid mod worth the money? How much HP gains with this and the deckplate? $90 is not a huge amount but I would like to see some gains as opposed to just intake sound. I know the ISR mod is cheaper but I don't feel like fabricating anything right now.
Hey man... that was my take. Actually, I had the older style plumbing so buying the two stock pipes and the ISR mods would've put me over $89. I like the cleaner look and nice install. It also seems there is less restriction because it's a single tube. I'm not sure about the HP increase but it's definitely there. You'll notice it more for passing speeds (higher RPM's). I also noticed better throttle response as before my Taco wouldn't really start picking up 'till about 3k RPM's and now it's more around 2.5k. I noticed a different but can't tell you the exact HP's. Anyways... I'd say this is the way to tackle the ISR mod.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:11 PM

Hey Tacomanator... what part of Colorado do you reside? I can show you the setup I have and even let you take it for a spin if you want. Let me know if you're ever up in Boulder. Lates.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Oh great,now I have another mod to consider now.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Poopshute
Hey Tacomanator... what part of Colorado do you reside? I can show you the setup I have and even let you take it for a spin if you want. Let me know if you're ever up in Boulder. Lates.
I'm in the SW Littleton area. I don't make it to the Boulder area to often but in the summer I will. If I am going to go to Boulder I will PM you. late.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Oh great,now I have another mod to consider now.
Honestly... if anyone ever asks me how to do the ISR mod I'll straight up tell them to use the Airaid MIT. It's so much cleaner (both install and looks) and it's a one piece tube which is nice. The kit comes with all the hoses and clamps you need to install it flawlessly. I'd highly recommend this to anyone looking to do the ISR mod. Just my .02.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Clean install. I might end up ordering an MIT for myself.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:08 PM

Ok, I decided to take a chance and order the Airaid MIT. I should have it within a couple of weeks. I'm hoping for some extra giddy up and will post when installed. late
Old 02-28-2005, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by TACOMANATOR
Ok, I decided to take a chance and order the Airaid MIT. I should have it within a couple of weeks. I'm hoping for some extra giddy up and will post when installed. late
Are you doing the deckplate mod too? I highly recommend doing the deckplate mod with the ISR/Airaid MIT mod. Let me know if you run into any issues (which you wont). I actually found it easier to remove the airbox (get it loose) so you can have more play to get it set properly. The only reason I found this out is because my airbox was out while doing the deckplate mod. Good luck... you'll love it.

NOTE: Deckplate(open) + Airaid MIT at full open throttle is awesomely loud (pretty damn loud). In turn it gives you some extra kick after 2.5k rpms.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:57 AM

I currently have the airbox door off. I used a small 1 inch c-clamp to hold the filter tight against the box. It's the probaly the same air flow as the deckplate and yes, it's louder than hell. If I have to take out the airbox then I might do the deckplate mod.

Quick Reply: Pics: 2000 Taco SR5 Mods (3.4L) [dialup warning]