Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

pickin up used 3.4 tomorow

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pickin up used 3.4 tomorow

Hello I hv a blown head gasket on my 97 4runner after a severe overheat, so i decided to replace it with a used engine since its easier than replacing the HG and the engine has 200,000 plus. The engine Im getting has 50,000 on it and is out of a 2000 4runner. Im paying $1400 for it. I've never pulled an engine before so it should be fun. I hv the fsm and it doesnt look to hard, I started removing the radiator, battery, hood tonight. If you have any tips, let me know. thanks Ray

I removed the fender because I'll be replaceing that too.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Label and photograph everything. Put all your fasteners into Ziploc bags with a card telling you where they went.

Undo your transfer case/transmission crossmember so you can tilt the tranny down far enough to get to the top bolts on your transmission.

Take your time.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks like a lot of fun! Where did you find you engine and how complete is it?
Old 02-22-2010, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RobD

Undo your transfer case/transmission crossmember so you can tilt the tranny down far enough to get to the top bolts on your transmission.
Make sure you support the tranny when you do that.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah take LOTS of pics and label things. You can leave the exhaust crossover on for removal, just unbolt the down pipe section. You'll want to take off all the electrical parts* from your old engine and put them on the newer one (wiring harness, injectors, all sensors, etc...) *Things I'm not sure about and you'll need to research to see if they are the same, knock sensors, temp sensors & coil packs. Warning: Toyota changed wiring colors and pin outs from year to year, sometimes even switching midyear.

The exhaust manifolds might be different, if so you'll need to decide which ones to use. The crossover matches the manifolds and can't be interchanged between the older and newer styles (cast iron style and tubular style).

Take note (and pics) of the throttle cable adjustments. I'm not sure what year the 4runners went to throttle by wire, if it was 2000 you'll want to keep your old throttle body for the new engine.

While the engine is out check the heat shields, cables, wiring, hoses, motor mounts, etc for damage. It's also a great time to clean up the engine bay, but cover plugs and openings to keep dirt and water out.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-22-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Sounds like a great price for a low-mileage engine. Good luck with the surgery.

Andreas
Old 02-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Subscribing, I may be in the same boat as you here pretty soon
Old 02-22-2010, 07:08 PM

Ok, got the engine today! It was from http://www.nippon-motors.com/ in cerritos, ca. It seemd like a good price. They had alot of 4cylinder engines from japan but this was the only 5vzfe they had. The guy said they go fast and are harder to find. Another place wanted $2000 for basically the same thing. I already got zip lock bags and I hv one of those label machines i will use too. The fsm shows an available engine hanger on the passenger side so i stopped by toyota to see if i could get one but they said it would be friday before they could get it and I cant wait that long since im on vacation this week. When we put the engine in the garage we chained to the existing engine hanger on the driver side and a motor mount but I dont think that will work for removal, installaton. I can probably use a couple bolt holes on that side and some large washers to connect to. I'll see whats there is to bolt to when I get power steering and a/c removed . Some of the wiring was cut on the new one so I'll hv to transfer that over form the old one. I plan on spending most the day tommorow working on removing the old engine.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:37 PM

Interesting. Keep us updated on your progress and good luck!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah take LOTS of pics and label things. You can leave the exhaust crossover on for removal, just unbolt the down pipe section. You'll want to take off all the electrical parts* from your old engine and put them on the newer one (wiring harness, injectors, all sensors, etc...) *Things I'm not sure about and you'll need to research to see if they are the same, knock sensors, temp sensors & coil packs. Warning: Toyota changed wiring colors and pin outs from year to year, sometimes even switching midyear.
Yeah I think I'll put engines side by side and transfer all electrical just to be safe. Some of the stuff is cut on new one anyways. The new one didnt hv the throttle body so I dont hv a choice on that. As for the exhaust, Im pretty sure its different. I think the newer ones had a tiny bit more horsepower due to redesigned exhaust and Im not sure if they are interchangable(probably not). Thanks for the tips. Much appreciate
Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 PM

curious question:
how did you overheat the old engine?
how long did you drive before you get it to overheat?

goodluck with the operation!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I can see in the pics that engine has the newer tubular exhaust manifolds and crossover. I'd use that myself, but you will have to get a different down pipe. The flanges on the newer pipes are different, and its probably angled different too. Other option is to swap it over to the older style manifolds from your old one, but then you MAY need new manifold gaskets, studs, or nuts.

I rigged up a passenger side engine hanger from a 3.0, but some have used bolts into the block or head too. Don't drop it LOL.

I left in on after the install.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:06 PM

got alot wires and hoses disconnected today, a/c and pwr steering disconnected, just got the add wire disconnected(saw that tip on another thread) its doesnt say anything about it in the fsm. I'm planning on leaving the trans in even though fsm says to remove. It sure would hv been nice if they put a connector for the trans wires between the engine and transmission; instead it looks like I hv to disconnect the wires one by one where they connect to the trans and maybe some in the cab next to the shifter. what a pita! Im going to go start disconnecting those trans wires and remove the starter right now. Im starting to wish i had one of those creepper things to lay on underneath. I hit the exhaust bolts with some pb blaster earlier. They look like they might give me some trouble too. The fuel supply line was really really tight but I finally did get it apart. Probably wont get too much done tommorow as my son needs help with a science fair project.

Stupid Trans wires
Old 02-24-2010, 03:43 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah those plugs are a pain. It helps some if you have a body lift. I think they install the body after the engine and tranny at the plant.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:16 PM

Getting close to pulling the engine. Just realized I missed one of the bolts from the trans bell to the engine. Fsm says 6 and I only hv 5. Doh! Its one of the top ones too! I was able to get the oth top one from inside the cab through the shifter opening with alot of extensions and a swivel. I had to go buy more extensions and a ratcheting breaker bar to get to two of those bolts. Im sure I can get the last one from topside as well. Also have the torque converter screws all removed. I started removing the motor mount screws. I got the two on the pass side. The drivers side has less room. I think I can get the front one if i remove the oil filter. Im not sure yet how to get the back one. In the morning Im going to see if I can find my oil filter wrench or maybe just go buy one and also remove that last trans bolt. Im hoping to have the engine out tommorow.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:19 PM

If you want to sell your spare power steering pump tensioner let me know.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Ok - got the old engine out! Took me a day to transfer all the wires, hoses, injectors etc to the newer 2000 engine. Even the motor mounts were different! I tried to install the new one today I got three of the bellhousing bolts started. The pass side of the engine and tranny still has a gap but looks like if I tightened it, they would come together. Before I tightened the bellhousing, I went to check to see if the torque converter and flexplate could be lined up. Well they were nowhere close I had previously pushed in the torque converter as far as it would go, though it didnt move much. For some reason I thought I could turn the crank and the torque converter would stay put if the trans was in gear. I was wrong! The torque converter and flexplate both moved when i turned the crank, so I was unable to line up the holes. Well Im guessing I hv to remove the bellhousing bolts, pull the engine out a little bit and try to line the torque converter and flexplate 1st before installing the bellhousing bolts. I had enough fun for one day so I will be trying this another day. If you hv any advice let me know! Thanks Ray

Old engine coming out. Got stuck a little on the exhaust. Looks like the date on my camera is messed up.

Success! No ripped out wires or anything!

I wonder how that dirt got in there??!!

little helper

After some cleaning

Both engines

New one ready to go

Old One -- what do think? put it in the blue garbage can or black one?
J/k - hv to take it back for core deposit. They said it will be scrap metal

Cherry Piccker wouldnt work today so hd to go buy another ram.

new one going in

Looks good -- too bad im probaly going to hv to pull it again

even the motor mounts were lined up

gap between tranny and engine

not much rm in there to access the torque converter bolts
Old 02-28-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by prorunner
If you want to sell your spare power steering pump tensioner let me know.
Is this what you need? If so you can hv it free, maybe just pay shipping.
Let me know and I try to get it to u soon. I hv alot going right now so I dont guarantee how fast I'll get to it though
Old 02-28-2010, 08:24 PM

your project is quite similar to what I just completed last month. good work thusfar!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:19 AM

Update?

Just wondering how this panned out