Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Picked up a scooped hood, made it functional, Line-X'd it black *pics*

Old 05-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Picked up a scooped hood, made it functional, Line-X'd it black *pics*

Scored an OEM hood with minor scratches on Craigslist for $50. Made the scoop functional, then had it Line-X'd black for $125. I have to say, it's a different look. I think it's growing on me. Oh, and I should have some before and after temperature data for you guys shortly.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

definitely different i dig how the hood looks by itself, can't decide whether or not it goes well with the rest of the color
Old 05-11-2007, 05:11 PM

I like it.........goes well with the truck and your wheels
Old 05-11-2007, 05:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
very nice
Old 05-11-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like it! I have the same "funtionality" with my hood scoop. Post up the underhood temps - I am interested to see if it actually makes a difference. Good work!!

Gregg
Old 05-11-2007, 05:59 PM

i like the way it looks, makin me wish my truck was a darker color with black wheels so i could bedliner my hood!
Old 05-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love the look! Be sure to post the temp data, i have a scoope sitting in the garage and i would like to know if making it functial is worth it.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:47 PM

Looks cool. That look is definitly not for sissys
Old 05-11-2007, 06:49 PM

i like it!!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
looks really good
Old 05-11-2007, 07:27 PM

i think it looks great also.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:34 PM

I like the look.I see you did the same thing to your bumper and wheels. Is that stuf prety durable? Where did you get it done? I want to do it to my bumpers and wheels.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jarboarder1
I like the look.I see you did the same thing to your bumper and wheels. Is that stuf prety durable? Where did you get it done? I want to do it to my bumpers and wheels.
I used self-applied Herculiner and UV Topcoat on my bumpers and fender trim. It has held up great. I had Line-X of north Phoenix do the hood. My experience in the sprayed-on bedliner industry told me that I needed to have something applied that would look clean and have the type of finish I was looking for. I knew Line-X was it (and it should be noted that I worked for Rhino Linings previously )
Old 05-11-2007, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm growing on it too, hell, tell line-x your willing to get the rest of your panels coated if they do the job for free, you may be able to also have them put your ride in ads and commercials and they'd actually pay you!
Old 05-11-2007, 08:34 PM

I like it. Rare look, looks as good as carbon fiber at a lot cheaper price.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

Definitely unique. Not sure if i'd get used to the Line-x but i like the hood.

Since having it on, does the higher profile obstruct your view enough to complain or worry about off-road scenarios?
Old 05-12-2007, 01:26 AM

Looks good,I like it.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:16 AM

Originality. The main thing is that you are happy with it.

I vented my hood scoop awhile back and noticed a difference in performance primarily because I have an open cone filter intake similar to the K&N FIPK.

May I make a suggestion if you also have an open cone intake system?

Recently I took a step drill bit to the small rectangular panel under the headlight and drilled four circular 1" holes. I took the dremmel and beveled the edges to make it presentable. Looks aggressive in my opinion.

Next time you open the hood, take note of the area around the headlight. Note that it is severely restricted. I took the dremmel to this area and sliced out the sheet metal down to the junction just above the windshield water jug and all the way to the side of the radiator. I retained all bolt attachment areas.

I also bent the heat shield surrounding the cone filter to accomodate the cooler airflow.

Results:

All of the sheet metal surrounding the headlight and intake area is MUCH cooler than the sheet metal surrounding the driver's side headlight and sheet metal around the battery.

The cone filter is always cold. It is never hot or warm. I already had a vented scoop that made a significant performance difference. This didn't make much of a performance difference, but I am seeing impressive results on MPG.

Last tank city MPG was close to 18 as compared to the normal 16 to 17 I normally get. Could be just one random spike, but the current tank looks to be heading in the same direction.

This won't make any difference for those that have the stock intake box. However, those with the deckplate mod may find this helpful.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by QSVeilside
Originality. The main thing is that you are happy with it.

I vented my hood scoop awhile back and noticed a difference in performance primarily because I have an open cone filter intake similar to the K&N FIPK.

May I make a suggestion if you also have an open cone intake system?

Recently I took a step drill bit to the small rectangular panel under the headlight and drilled four circular 1" holes. I took the dremmel and beveled the edges to make it presentable. Looks aggressive in my opinion.

Next time you open the hood, take note of the area around the headlight. Note that it is severely restricted. I took the dremmel to this area and sliced out the sheet metal down to the junction just above the windshield water jug and all the way to the side of the radiator. I retained all bolt attachment areas.

I also bent the heat shield surrounding the cone filter to accomodate the cooler airflow.

Results:

All of the sheet metal surrounding the headlight and intake area is MUCH cooler than the sheet metal surrounding the driver's side headlight and sheet metal around the battery.

The cone filter is always cold. It is never hot or warm. I already had a vented scoop that made a significant performance difference. This didn't make much of a performance difference, but I am seeing impressive results on MPG.

Last tank city MPG was close to 18 as compared to the normal 16 to 17 I normally get. Could be just one random spike, but the current tank looks to be heading in the same direction.

This won't make any difference for those that have the stock intake box. However, those with the deckplate mod may find this helpful.

could you take a picture of that if possible

back on topic

the hood looks awesome, now you have a buldge like us to look at when driving, makes it feel much better doesnt it? lol
Old 05-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys! I still haven't had a chance to drive it yet - but that should change today. It should be noted that I had a 2000 with a scoop at one point. I got to drive it around for about a week. The bulge didn't bother me at all. I actually noticed that people stared at the rig a lot though (and it was completely stock). I had more than one person say, "That thing must be turbo'd huh?"

Not sure if the bulge will obstruct my view off-roading. I am sure it will a tad, but nothing to worry about.

"Cool" idea about the intake opening. Trust me, I have spent more than one evening staring at that thing and wondering what I could do. I will take your ideas into consideration. However, I am not going to go with an open cone filter. I had to close the deckplate so I could draw in air from the elbow. Hot weather is just killing me and an open filter would make it worse for me. Preliminary temp testing at the top of the SC'r with the old hood is in the 150 - 180 degree range, depending on the driving condition (idle being the worst of course).

Thanks for all the points and ideas guys. Keep 'em coming.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 05-12-2007 at 07:34 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Picked up a scooped hood, made it functional, Line-X'd it black *pics*