See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Performance upgrades 95 SR5 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Performance upgrades 95 SR5 4Runner

I just bought a 95 4Runner back in January and so far I love it. The only thing is when I take it up into the mountains to go snowboarding it seams like everyone is passing me. At most on some of the passes I am only able to do like 55 maybe 60. I was wondering what would be some good things to change to improve the power up in the mountains. I have 120,000 miles on it so if there are other factory things I should change please note them as well. I have changed the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I also put a K&N OEM stile air filter. Any suggestions would be great.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:53 AM

welcome to YT, the best online resource i've found for toyota trucks.. lots of good people and months of reading ahead of you.

there are lots of threads about this stuff, use the search feature type in '3VZE' if you have the v6, and '22RE' if you have the 4cyl. these rigs aren't powerhouses by any means and they weigh ALOT.. so hills are a challenge for all of us, short of spending thousands under the hood (v6), or regearing it, you will always have difficulties. no quick fixes.

also, take a look in the tech section.
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/techpage.htm

p.s. your bank account will never be the same.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome and get used to the slow climb up hills. The 3.slow is a very dependable engine but lacks guts.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:11 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by MAD 4Runner
I just bought a 95 4Runner back in January and so far I love it. The only thing is when I take it up into the mountains to go snowboarding it seams like everyone is passing me. At most on some of the passes I am only able to do like 55 maybe 60. I was wondering what would be some good things to change to improve the power up in the mountains. I have 120,000 miles on it so if there are other factory things I should change please note them as well. I have changed the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I also put a K&N OEM stile air filter. Any suggestions would be great.
welcome "MAD 4Runner", & enjoy, this is a pretty decent site.

as for suggestions;
since you've already done the drop-in, OEM K&N, i would suggest that you do a intake swap( you can find the 411 on that in here as well).
it basically entails getting rid of all of the factory intake hoses, silencers, etc.,rerouting or capping off the PCV & valve cover ventilation hoses & going w/a AFM to throttle body intake tube, making for better breathing for your 'runner(which should be particularly beneficial to you as you're up there where the air is thinner.
other than that, always push the button on the side of the gear selector lever to disengage the overdrive while climbing up the mountain only, making sure that you push the button back in when you are on more level terrain &/or have passed 4k rpm while climbing.
carve some for me & enjoy!
later,
-f-

Last edited by frankenrunner; 04-03-2005 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:39 PM

Going with headers and getting rid of the stock cross-over will give you a decent gain in hp.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by ChickenLover
Going with headers and getting rid of the stock cross-over will give you a decent gain in hp.
anyone ever dyno'ed one before and after this mod?
Old 04-03-2005, 09:20 PM
NRM
Contributing Member

welcome mad runner, i always love hearing about the drive up the mountains. i've made the same drive a lot and it drives me crazy. the big hill by georgetown, i can only go like 45-50 up it, i'm practically getting passed by semi's at some times!! over the years, i've realized there's just not much to do with this engine. i don't wanna do headers cause i don't wanna lose low-end torque plus they're expensive. i figure i'm just gonna wait it out till i can afford to drop a 3.4 in it! anyway, welcome to the board and if you ever wanna do any work on it or just talk shop, lemme know, i'm right up in boulder.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:27 PM

Thumbs up

-bump- to "ChickenLover", yet another good, fairly low cost, horsepower increasing mod to help w/the climb.

-f-
Old 04-03-2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by frankenrunner
-bump- to "ChickenLover", yet another good, fairly low cost, horsepower increasing mod to help w/the climb.

-f-
low cost?? what? headers/exhaust is an expensive mod
Old 04-03-2005, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by NRM
the big hill by georgetown, i can only go like 45-50 up it, i'm practically getting passed by semi's at some times!!
The semi's are not what is bothering me it the little two door nissan stanza that pass me like I am sitting on the side of the road. But maybe in a year or so I'll get one of the new tacos, those are nice and with that extra power I will be doing the passing not the other way around.

Mark
Old 04-03-2005, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by green91runner
low cost?? what? headers/exhaust is an expensive mod
i did say "...fairly..."

also, i'm still working the idea of simply removing the x-over & capping it's tie-in on the driver's side header, then running pipes off of the stock headers which, all in all, should be way cheap compared to buying headers "&" exhaust system components.

p.s. still looking for some stock headers to play with to flesh this idea out...
Old 04-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by frankenrunner
i did say "...fairly..."

also, i'm still working the idea of simply removing the x-over & capping it's tie-in on the driver's side header, then running pipes off of the stock headers which, all in all, should be way cheap compared to buying headers "&" exhaust system components.

p.s. still looking for some stock headers to play with to flesh this idea out...
here are some manifolds http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33617