95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Performance Products Halogen Back-Up Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Products Halogen Back-Up Lights

Hey guys,

I was just lookin' through the recent issue of my Toyota Performance Products catalog and saw that they had 50W Halogen back-up lights listed but when I look online they have a bunch of american cars listed but nothing for Toyota.

Anybody know anything about these? When I search for Halogen Back-Up light I get some weird light with a back-up beeper...I think that would be a little much.

The Part #/Reference # is 1599...lemme know if you guys think these would work. I'm lookin for somethin to make my back-up lights a little more noticeable.

Thanks again!

Fink
Old 11-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have read online that they are not worth your coins.
Not enough output.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Alright, thanks Corey...all I needed to know....

UNLESS, somebody knows where to get brigher ones..??

Fink
Old 11-19-2004, 02:47 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Halogen backup lights have been avail for decades. They DO work - they ARE very bright. Just don't forget and leave them on and melt your taillights. Regular auto parts stores should have them (heck, I saw them at Walmart!) for a heck of a lot less than Performance Wallet Emptiers...
Old 11-19-2004, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Back up lights

I've installed a set of KC back up lights on a friend's rig and they worked great. The whole kit and kaboodle was around $100 with all the wiring, harness, relay and instructions necessary to hook them up with the reverse lights and manual. Nice set of lights and nice addition to the backing up brightness.

Old 11-19-2004, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Do you think its worth to spend the $100 on the back-up light kit or should I just piece it together from cheaper lights from Wal-Mart and just go to Lowe's and get the wiring and stuff?

I have seen the KC kit in a lotta places and I just wasnt sure if it'd be worth it.

Thanks for the reply Brian,

Fink
Old 11-19-2004, 08:23 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

$14 for the lights, and a few bucks more for the factory Toyota switch, relay, and misc. wire.
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...ghts/corey.htm
Why spend more on the KC kit when you can roll your own?
Old 11-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Is it necessary to mount another switch for these or can I just have them wired up to the reverse lights so they come on automatically when in reverse?

I only have 2 spots left for the Toyota switches and I'd like to save them for my lockers...

Fink
Old 11-20-2004, 05:39 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

You can do that too, there has been discussion on the forum here on how to do exactly that.
But you still would want to put a switch in, as there are situations when you do not want the super bright ones on all the time.

Also you can mount a switch on your lower console where your coin holder is.
That is where my backup light switch is.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Check out Harbor Freight. I just received an advertisement from them. They are listing a pair of 55W halogen driving lights for $7.99. After work today, I'm going to pickup a couple sets of those. A local outfit sells Cole Hersee switches. I'll be picking those up Tuesday.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

I dont have a Harbor Freight around here locally, are they online?

Corey, those are the spots I'm talkin about. I wanna save those for when I get my lockers, but, in all reality I will probably end up just getting a rear locker so I could use one of those I guess, how hard is it to get the wires up underneath there. And I can't remember if you discussed this in your write up but how did you get the wires from the very back of the rig all the way up to your console?

Thanks for the info, I may have just found another weekend project

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 11-20-2004 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

The wires under the console only have two wires going out of the firewall.
One for the relay, and one to the external aux. fuse box.

The 3rd wire is a ground wire, and gets grounded to a screw under the dash a foot or so from that switch.

All three sets of my aux. lights are tied intogeter in one wire that goes to the aux. fuse box for the power.
Only a small current is needed for that, as they get their main power from their respective relays which are each fused close to the battery.

The wires for the lamps back aft only has one wire coming forward, and that is the power wire that snakes along the frame on the passenger side, and then up into the wheelwell, then up to the relay.

The ground for those lights are on the rear hitch material, or frame of the rig.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:27 PM

You can buy just reg halo bulbs. at autp zone or advance auto. i am sure walmart also. the reg bulbs that will replace the clear ones u already have. they are alot bright the the factory ones. but i also have the alteza taillights that are clear and chrome with red lenses. i bought the halp replacment bulbs for my reverse lites they are alot brighter.. i believe they even sell the blue halpo bulbs. kinda like the blue head light ones. But yea halp lights tend to burn hotter and could cause the plastic to melt if left on. i bought Halo light conversion for my headlights. they burnt so hot the first time it rained both glass lenses busted. lol it sucked so i just went with the regular bulbs that where halo to replace them

Last edited by -ToYoTa-; 11-20-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:24 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Hey guys,

I was just lookin' through the recent issue of my Toyota Performance Products catalog and saw that they had 50W Halogen back-up lights listed but when I look online they have a bunch of american cars listed but nothing for Toyota.

Anybody know anything about these? When I search for Halogen Back-Up light I get some weird light with a back-up beeper...I think that would be a little much.

The Part #/Reference # is 1599...lemme know if you guys think these would work. I'm lookin for somethin to make my back-up lights a little more noticeable.

Thanks again!

Fink

The part (from Performance) is 1598. 1599 is turn/stop lights, and those are a bad idea because they blind drivers behind you. The 1598s simply replace your existing bulbs - simple! They provide more than enough light, lemme tell you.

Using fog lights for backup lights doesn't spread the light around very well, it's dissapointing. Lights like those KC backup lights spread the light around - no "beam."
Old 11-20-2004, 02:57 PM

why not just get the cheap ones for like 20bucks a schuck's? any halogen light will work fine. If you mount it on bumper it hangs down too low and gets damaged(scrape on rocks or flooded in water) I got the cheap ones so I could care less even if it gets trashed when I go wheeling. I guess you can spend more if you're getting it for cosmetic reasons. I wouldn't get the bulbs for stock housing because it will melt over time. I used to have PIAA Ion for my 93 integra and it ended up having a hump on top of the plastic housing because of high heat from the bulb.