Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Performance Products 1" Springs Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Products 1" Springs Installation

I just bought the performance products 1" progressive rate springs for my 1998 4-runner Limited 4x4, and successfuly installed the rear springs with no trouble. I didn't get to the front springs the same day, so I've still got them to install. For all those folks that have put new springs on their 4-runners, I'm in need of some guidance. The rear end was real easy, but it seems that the front may be a slightly different story. Could anyone help me with a step-by-step description of how to complete the front end installation? Pictures or diagrams would be great, but even text explanation would be great. I've got a spring compressor, but I'm also wondering if I need any other special tools for the front? Also, since the shock is inside the front springs, would this also be the best time to replace my front shocks? If so, what do you guys recommend? I've heard bilsteins are pretty good, but I'm open to suggestions. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:09 PM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can say, if you have the intrest to upgrade the shruts, do it now. And if I were you, Id the stuff to a local shop with the equiptment to assemble it for you. Pay what ever the small fee would be. Call around. The reason I say this is for I have seen some pretty scary tools, and I fear that the do-it-yourselfer could get injured.

Jay
Old 12-12-2002, 05:38 AM

Thanks Jay,

I still think it's possible for a do-it-yourselfer, so I'd still like to hear some other's opinions, please. But, Jay, if it is too complicated, I will take it to a shop. Any other ideas out there?

Chris
Old 12-12-2002, 09:43 AM

I completely agree with Jay. You can pull the strut assemblies out of the truck yourself without much trouble, but let a pro remove and reinstall the spring in the assembly for you.

I take mine to work and use the wall mounted spring compressor which is much safer then those cheap one you can get at Pep Boys and the like.

Sping compressors can be very dangerous even with properly used. My brother had one come apart on him and after three surgeries, you can still see the scars.

If you want to plan ahead and get new shocks now, you can get some new top plates from the dealer of junkyard and get the new shocks and springs assembled by a pro and then pop out the old assemblies and pop in the new one and you are all set, well except for the alingment.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 12-12-2002, 12:39 PM

hi ravencr do you see a change on the lowering with the bland eye since it's only 1 inch, I wanted them but was not sure 1 inch was enough?
Old 12-12-2002, 02:51 PM

Yeah, you can definitely see a difference. On my vehicle, I also installed the Air Lift 1000, because I tow some things that I needed a tad more payload. Before I put the rear springs in, the front and back of my vehicle had the same amount of space between the top of the tire to the fender. Now the rear sits up at least 2 inches higher. And, that's without any pressure in the air bags. I believe it raises it more than 1", because the springs have a progressive rate, their stiffer, and they are 1" longer than the originals. They ride a lot better than the stock too. I'm impressed so far, and I cna't wait to get the fronts on.

I sure hope someone will tell me how to perform my front end spring swap, because I really don't want to take it to a shop and pay the money. So, if anyone has performed this procedure of replacing their front springs, please respond with some details on what needs to be disconnected, raised, compressed, what tools, or anything like that. I would love to hear from someone that doesn't mind the little bit of extra risk it make take to operate a spring compressor. The tool worked great on the rear springs. Anyone have pictures or a detailed explanation of what I will have to do to get these new springs installed, besides take it to a shop????
Old 12-13-2002, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

I know others have done this themselves. You may want to try a search here and over on 4X4wire to see if that turns up anything useful. Good Luck.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

A few FSM pages are on my site. Hope they help.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the info,

Your site is very informative!

Chris
Old 12-13-2002, 08:38 AM

Hey Gadget or Jay, in regards to the use of a spring compressor....

Do you think that a shop with a wall mounted compressor would assemble the coil pack with a 2.5" spacer or is that something they wouldnt touch because of the extra tension that has to be put on the spring compressing it more for the spacer?
Old 12-13-2002, 08:50 AM

Like Gadget said, at least find a shop with a wall-mounted spring compressor if you're going to do it yourself. I didn't realize a friend of mine's shop had one until I'd already paid someone to do all the work for me.

Those rental units are too flimsy & dangerous..I've used them & don't recommend them. You could probably get away with using them, but I don't think it's worth the risk...

Al
Old 01-06-2003, 04:31 PM

Well guys,

I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum in helping me through the installation of my Performance Products 1" taller progressive rate springs. I've finished the air bags and Addco Swaybars, too, which all combined make for a much stiffer, but far better ride. I appreciate all the help. You guys are great! Plus, contrary to some of your opinions, I did safely use the spring compressor to install both front and rear springs. Safe, probably not! Installed safely, yes!

Chris
Old 01-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

It would have been a good time to put Bilsteins on. They are great matched with the PP 1" springs.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:54 PM

Yeah, I wish I had, but there is no way I'm going to do the springs again by myself. Sort of a pain, but a good learning experience.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:06 PM

Question for you folks... When I did my PP 1" springs (and susequently removing them) I got way more than 1 inch, closer to 1 and 3/4.

Anyone else here with them that had this happen? BTW, it was front and rear, so they were installed correctly (Billie cups correct side up).

Mike
Old 01-06-2003, 08:07 PM

Hey ravencr,

I'm glad to hear ya got them installed. I want PP 1" springs this year too. Do they sell 2" lift springs by chance? Or 1.5"?

Al
Old 01-07-2003, 03:55 AM

Oops,

I it the wrong button there. At any rate, they do not not offer more than 1" springs, except they do offer a 2.5" spacer kit from Daystar, but I haven't heard of great long term things with it. You're probably better off going with the pp springs, which will give you 2" in the rear, and at least 1" in the front.

Chris
Old 01-07-2003, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by HBoss
Hey ravencr,

I'm glad to hear ya got them installed. I want PP 1" springs this year too. Do they sell 2" lift springs by chance? Or 1.5"?

Al
Hey Al-

Talk to Galen "Dr. Z" about his NWOR springs. I think they lifted his just under 2" up front and just over 2" in the back. Just an idea...
Old 01-07-2003, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by loosehead
Hey Al-

Talk to Galen "Dr. Z" about his NWOR springs. I think they lifted his just under 2" up front and just over 2" in the back. Just an idea...
Just PM'd him. Thx loosehead & ravencrd, for the replies.

Al
Old 01-07-2003, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

azrain,

I got close to 2" with my 1" PP coils and the Bilsteins. When I pulled up next to the 2003's to look at them I drew a crowd of Salesman oogling at my 02. They all thought I had at least a 3" lift. The 03's did look a bit puny next to my lifted 02....LOL

Quick Reply: Performance Products 1" Springs Installation