Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Performance mods???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance mods???

I'm back to looking for a new vehicle, probably gonna end up with a 4runner. Short history: I had a 97 2wd 4runner a few years ago. I really liked it, but felt it was very slow/underpowered and got into trouble several times with the 2wd. I had an offer to trade for a 96 Mustang Cobra and did so. Unfortunately I'm needing to get back into something larger/more practical. I'm really torn between a 99-02 or a 03-04. Either will be a 4x4. I'm leaning towards the 03/04 because I can get the v8 and have a good bit more power. I don't do any off roading, it'll just be my daily driver and may use it to hunt/fish out of some. I'll be doing a little towing, just a few times a year. However, I've gotten to like the power of my Cobra and know a 99-02 would feel like a bicycle. However, I really like the look and feel of the 99-02 (much better than the 03-04). What does it take to get decent power out of the 99-02 4runners? I'm currently looking at a 03 4x4 with 100k miles for $13k. I can find the 99-02's under $10k all day long. I've got the money for the 03, but I'd rather have the other. For about $2k, what can I do that will help close the gap in the two power wise? If I can mod the 99-02 for $2k and make similar power, I'll be content. Otherwise I'll just get the newer one and be happy as well. I love both, but I figured it'd be easier to add power to the 99-02 than to add body to the 03-04. Thanks for any input, it's greatly appreciated.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:12 PM

here you go...

http://capecod.craigslist.org/pts/1243782821.html
Old 07-10-2009, 06:21 PM

I've considered the trd s/c, just not sure. First, I don't know about reliability when adding it to a 4runner with over 100k miles. Second, any clue what it'd cost to buy and have installed? I'm guessing it'd cost well over the $2k, and if that's the case I'd rather just go ahead and get the 03 with the v8, it'll still have more power than the 99-02 with a supercharger.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you look hard you can get one for less than that... And for paying someone to install it...well if you go TRD it's pretty much a bolt on application...you will spend some time tuning it though...there are some really good s/c threads on here...if you read through them and ask the people that have done it, they seem to be more than willing to help others out...this way you know that it's been worked on by YOU.

Oh and 100k? Nothing to a Yota...barely breaking that thing in...there are people who have put one on theirs w/ way more miles than that..

As far as the reading I've done on both the newest generation 4runner(and tacoma) if you can pick up a 99-02 do it...for reliability and quality of build

Last edited by KrashDH; 07-10-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:38 AM

Hmmm, I'm really considering this. I'm horrible at working on cars, everything I've ever done has been twice as hard as it should be. I know the 4runner's are rock solid in stock form, just wasn't sure about when adding the s/c. Also, it made me wonder if I wouldn't need other supporting mods (main concern is how's the auto tranny holding up after the s/c?). As far as tuning, will I need to get a separate tuner or can you adjust settings without one? Thanks guys!
Old 07-11-2009, 06:24 AM

03+ years have an ugly body style IMO, if you want power dont buy an suv. if i wanted power and style, i would of kept my m3, but decided my family feels more comfortable in a 4runner. i dont need to feel power in a 4runner, its not why i bought it.

btw, that is a freaking steal on that trd supercharger, if that was local, i would been all over that!

Last edited by 24x4runnersport; 07-11-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:47 AM

It's a 3500 truck with a wheezie engine built for longevity..not overwhelming power.

First off, 31 inch tires are too big. 33 inch tires are really too big.

A supercharger is an option. Keep in mind, if you drive it hard, you may smoke the tranny and burn some valves in the process. If you drive it like a soccer mom, you should be fine.

Air intake and smaller tires will get you a long way there on a lot smaller budget.

I get around just as fast as most other vehicles now.

Also keep in mind the 4runner is a flying brick and has huge wind resistance. The higher your rig goes, the more you will have to deal with that. And if you live at high elevation, kiss that all goodbye and enjoy the slow ride.

A slow ride of 300,000 miles.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:52 AM

I'm not planning on lifting it, and tire size will be kept down. I'm not expecting it to outrun my car, but the whole reason I am selling my car and getting something new it to gain some cab room and be able to hook to stuff when needed and not have to worry about whether or not it will pull the load.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:31 AM

I live at 6500 ft., don't have a s/c, and I have a lift w/ 33s. I just got 4.88 gears and my truck will smoke any of my friend's vehicles with comparable v6s - Jeeps, Fords, even 3.4 Tacomas. Altitude does not affect horsepower on fuel injected engines like it does on carburated ones.

If you are going to be pulling a trailer a lot, or just want to get more acceleration, gears will make a huge difference...(even more than a s/c) and will cost way less than $2000. They will also be easier on your engine and transmission than pushing the stock gears and way easier on the engine/tranny than a s/c would be. Think of a 10 speed bicycle, when you are in a low gear going up a hill, it's way easier on your legs. Adding horsepower is not always the most efficient way to get more power.

BTW, 31's are not too big, they came as stock OEM on many 4runners from the factory (265/75R16s which are actually closer to 32s). Toyota offered different gear ratios (4.10, 4.30, and 4.56) specifically because they offered different tire options not to mention that the towing packages often come with lower stock gear ratios. Hope this gives you some more options.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

How fast do you need your 4Runner to be? I wish the 3rd gen had another 30hp but the 183 moves it just fine and I live at a mile high asl which means we have even less ponies being made and it still pulls the mountain passes (which go over 8000ft real quick) at 70mph but more ponies would make it easier and the tranny would downshift a lot less but around town and on the highway the 3.4 is still a solid performer.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:57 PM

I agree, the 3.4 is very solid and I don't care about the speed so much either. I climb 5500ft. elevation 4 days/week (I work at 1000 and live at 6500 ft.) and I like running 33s w/ a lift because I like to 4x a lot too. My problem before I got the new gears was my tranny had to downshift after almost every corner to keep up with traffic while coming up the mountain. There is nothing more annoying to me than having 5 cars behind you wanting to pass and you can't do anything but wait till the next turn out. With the 4.88s, now I cruise 1/2 throttle up the mountain, my tranny barley ever needs to downshift, and I'm the guy behind the slowpoke.

I never really noticed the hp difference in high altitude with this truck. The formula I've always heard (in the boating industry) is for every 1000ft. you go up, you lose 5% horsepower. I've really noticed this in my older carburated cars, but not so much with the EFIs for whatever reason. Just a personal observation, not sure why.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
I agree, the 3.4 is very solid and I don't care about the speed so much either. I climb 5500ft. elevation 4 days/week (I work at 1000 and live at 6500 ft.) and I like running 33s w/ a lift because I like to 4x a lot too. My problem before I got the new gears was my tranny had to downshift after almost every corner to keep up with traffic while coming up the mountain. There is nothing more annoying to me than having 5 cars behind you wanting to pass and you can't do anything but wait till the next turn out. With the 4.88s, now I cruise 1/2 throttle up the mountain, my tranny barley ever needs to downshift, and I'm the guy behind the slowpoke.

I never really noticed the hp difference in high altitude with this truck. The formula I've always heard (in the boating industry) is for every 1000ft. you go up, you lose 5% horsepower. I've really noticed this in my older carburated cars, but not so much with the EFIs for whatever reason. Just a personal observation, not sure why.
I don't know much about the 4.88 gears, are these what you are talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...Q5fAccessories

Also, did you install them yourself?

Last edited by Mason Dixon; 07-11-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:33 PM

Yip, thats exactly what I'm refering to. Along with the ring and pinion sets, you will also need master bearing kits for installing (around $160-$210 ea.). If you are 4x4, you MUST do the front and rear w/ the same ratio. Parts will be about $600-800 if you get a decent deal on a good brand (I have motives and love them). I had them professionally installed because this is NOT an easy thing for the weekend mechanic to do. You need a lot of knowledge and patience. Expect to pay around $400-500 for front and rear together although I've heard of people having them put in for as cheap as $150 for both. My guess is you'd pay about $1000 - $1500 OTD w/ installation depending on the shop and the quality of the parts.

I recommend having them installed by the same shop that you buy the parts from. Then they are liable for everything. I got a 3 year warranty P&L too.

Last edited by brian2sun; 07-11-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:45 PM

I'm not looking to make it a race car. I realize what it is. However, I'd really like more get up and go. Here are a few scenarios I ran into with my old 97. I'd need to pass someone doing 40 in a 55, and with the short passing zones I never felt I could do it safely. Also, when pulling out into traffic it took a pretty big gap. It'd be nice to have enough power to get moving so I could get in/out of traffic easier. I think gears may do exactly what I need. I'd be interested in going with a little bigger tire, whatever would fit at stock height. I don't care about speeds as long as I can cruise along at 70-75 on the interstate. Most of my driving is a 55-60 on the highway. Do you guys think gears will do what I want? What ratio should I go with? Also, is there any way of knowing what ratio was in my old 97 2wd? Thanks, I really appreciate the input.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:53 PM

Personally, I just got a 04 Taco TRD, and I absolutely love it. But its all preference. Just go to the stealership and ask them to let you test drive.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:27 PM

one thing ive learned with driving in and out of traffic and speeding in my m3 is, you always get caught up in a red light and most of the time the car that was driving slow is exactly where you were except you were driving like you were at the autobahn.

i stepped on the gas on the freeway today and was literally going nowhere past 70mph, but all the traffic behind me got very small in my rearview after a minute or so. just drive safe and be patient, driving fast truthfully gets you nowhere that much faster when there is stop lights on every block.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:02 PM

It's really not about speed, it's about acceleration and torque. With a lower gear ratio, the top end speed will actually go down a little, because the engine RPM will be higher and redline quicker.

In my case, the auto tranny would constantly be shifting between 2nd and 3rd gears while going up a moderate grade. In 3rd it would bog down and my RPMs would be too low (like 2400) and when I hit the gas, it would downshift to 2nd, and the RPMs would be too high to hold for more than a few seconds (around 4800). What the new rings and pinions did was make my tranny's 3rd gear RPMs more around 3000 and now there is no need to downshift to 2nd because it doesn't bog down.

As the tranny shifts through IT'S range of gears (not to be confused with the ring and pinion gears), my needle climbs much faster and whatever gear I'm cruising in at any given time is about 600-700 higher RPM than that gear used to be.

I can also pull out of intersections way faster. I have to ease on the gas or I can light 'em up like nothing. It took a little getting used to, but so worth it. I consider this kind of "faster" a lot safer. If I have the power I need to get out of the way, that can prevent an accident.

The only trade off is what I mentioned above which is the top speed will diminish. Since I am not a racecar driver, this doesn't bother me at all. When I feel like it, I can still cruise at 80 in overdrive at like 3200 RPM.

The biggest tire you can fit stock with no rubbing is 265/75R16. I would recommend going with 4.56 gears w/ this tire. This will give you the acceleration you're looking for. Your future 4Runner will probably have 4.10s unless it has a factory elocker which in that case, it would most likely have 4.30s (I'll bet your old 2WD had 4.10s). 4.88s will likely be too much overkill for 265/75s. There are some 4Runners out there that came stock with this tire size and 4.56s. I hope this helps.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by ARK_SWAMP_RIDER
I'm leaning towards the 03/04 because I can get the v8 and have a good bit more power.
I believe they made a high-output V8 somewhere around 05-06; maybe that would be more suitable for your needs.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:17 AM

I'm limited to the 03-04 due to my budget, even with those I'm having to do a good bit of searching. I'm not looking to be the one flying in/out of traffic. Remember, I currently have a modded Mustang Cobra. If that's what I had on my mind, I'd keep the sports car. As long as I can cruise at 70-75 with RPMs not maxxed out, I'll be fine. I've got lower gears in my car, but they were there when I bought it. I've never felt the difference gearing makes. To me, going from one to the other (say 4.10 to 4.30) wouldn't make a huge difference. However, I do realize that if my old 4runner had 4.10's, the jump to 4.56 would be much more noticeable, but as I mentioned without having experience with gears it's hard to say. I can remember that on my old 4runner anything over 80 didn't matter because it would take forever and a day to get there. I'm gonna do some more looking to see about pricing, but this options is sounding better and better all the time. Thanks again, and any further input is appreciated.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:54 AM

just buy a honda civic for 500$ and turn it into a 4runner. all you need is some badges

Quick Reply: Performance mods???