Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Performance 4runner? 10-12K budget 3rd Gen

Old 09-20-2005, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance 4runner? 10-12K budget 3rd Gen

Say I have about 10-12K I wanted to throw around into my 4runner for engine work. Where can I find out info on this, is there a mechanic or shop out there that is an expert with our 3.4?

Long story short, I was about to buy a very expensive road car to supplement my two trucks, and I was selling it to the lady by saying it would be her main vehicle. Of course she saw through my smoke screen and said "cant you just make the lx450 or the 4runner faster instead of spending so much money on another car".

Just like all of you probably did right now I had some form of brain aneurysm or stroke if you will; as my heart rate normalized and vision came back I thought why not let me look into it. So here I am, any direction?

Still want it to be a COMPLETE daily driver no NOS or anything extravagent but just a daily driver with a minimum of 330HP at the crank.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Call Gadget.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
Call Gadget.
agree
Old 09-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

Ditto...Gadget...URD....

Gadget

If I were you I would give him your budget...leave it with him for a couple of weeks...then come back here and show us your pics of smoking your tires at the strip. I think he is within a days drive of you.

Last edited by DavidA; 09-20-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

f2tuning and gadget. they are based out of cour delane idahoe (sp?) about an hour from me. they will build up four 3.4 into anything you want. if i had that much money id look into a sick turbo kit, new internals, and custom coil over race type suspension and light ass wheels (long shot for all that but if you sold the old stuff it might happen)
Old 09-20-2005, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JimmyK
Still want it to be a COMPLETE daily driver no NOS or anything extravagent but just a daily driver with a minimum of 330HP at the crank.
There is a Taco on here pushing 300HP to the wheels with an aquamist system, no NOS. I think his username is TRDLMN (or something like that).

It is a 5-speed and runs 14's. Do you need to go faster than that?

You could achieve the above for $5K, if not less, assuming you do the work yourself and upgrade the tranny.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Tomsriv

330hp is a bit of a stretch for a 3.4. I would get a 98-02 Camaro Z28 or SS. They had that kind of horsepower stock and don't cost much to buy. They run mid 13's in the quarter mile. If you get tired of it in six months you can sell it and not lose as much money as you would moding your 4runner.

You can add 80-100hp reliably to the 3.4 if you do a supercharger, exhaust and intake. Of course you will also have to update the fuel system. It should fit into your budget.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

Bike and money leftover to put on into the runner. *drools*
8)
Old 09-21-2005, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
There is a Taco on here pushing 300HP to the wheels with an aquamist system, no NOS. I think his username is TRDLMN (or something like that).

It is a 5-speed and runs 14's. Do you need to go faster than that?

You could achieve the above for $5K, if not less, assuming you do the work yourself and upgrade the tranny.
That would def work for me, but in this arena I would def require assistance from a pro, if anything I would like to assist or just be a bencher. I dont mind wrenching around but I get a bit hesitant when it comes to semi serioues engine work. Ill do a search for this aquamist thing that you mentioned. thanks!

Originally Posted by Tomsriv
330hp is a bit of a stretch for a 3.4. I would get a 98-02 Camaro Z28 or SS. They had that kind of horsepower stock and don't cost much to buy. They run mid 13's in the quarter mile. If you get tired of it in six months you can sell it and not lose as much money as you would moding your 4runner.

You can add 80-100hp reliably to the 3.4 if you do a supercharger, exhaust and intake. Of course you will also have to update the fuel system. It should fit into your budget.
Well I was looking around and there are so many vehicles with the same or smaller engines that are pushing far more horsepower IE subarus sti, 300ZX TT, 3000GT VR-4, TT Supra, so I was hoping it was very reachable.

Im unfortunately very picky if I am to buy another vehicle to assuage my speed hunger it would be in the 33-45K range.

But I thought the supercharger with mods only yields 50-70 HP. I will try to call/get in touch with Gadget this morning though.

Thanks for the ideas and direction pointing so far, I may just have to go with the SC, fuel and exhaust mods. It seems that not enough work has been done in this area and after 4-5k it's going to be diminishing returns...

Last edited by JimmyK; 09-21-2005 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
His name is Dave "TRDOLMAN" and he made 300+ RWHP!!!
(actually it was 304.5 RWHP @ 355.5 Torque)

Between him and Gadget you should be able to get into the 330+ crank HP range no problem.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/new-dyno-numbers-track-times-61635/

If you want to go more extreme it is possible (there are at least (2) 500-600HP 3.4L out there that I am aware of) but the money spent goes up exponentially on projects like that......one was twin turbo, the other was centrifically supercharged, both with intercoolers).

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-21-2005 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

For 12 grand, I vote for ditching the 3.4 and putting in a 2jzgte from a TT supra in there. You can pick up a 6spd tranny and engine for about $4500 or less on ebay. Course there is all the other stuff you have to pay for, but I'm pretty sure you could do it for under 12 or 15 grand. From what I hear, you can easily get 500hp and the internals can handle 800hp (pushing it though). Not sure if your 4runner is 4wd or not, but if it is, I don't know how you would connect the transfer case. I know there is a guy somewhere that has done a 2jz swap in his 2wd early '90s pickup.

If you do keep the 3.4, like others said, talk to Gadget. (side note--they had a picture of Gadget's 4runner in the "4wd Toyota Owner" magazine)

Well, that's my $.02
Have fun all.
Daniel
Old 09-21-2005, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

You are more than welcome to drive my 4r. I have the s/c and URD mods. I am thinking about the water injection for x-mas.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As much as I would like to support everyone on a Supra engine swap here, I simply don't think it's needed. The 3.4 has strong internals and can handle lots of power. He likely can achieve 330 hp with a s/c setup although my personal opinion is to look towards a custom turbo setup. 330 hp would easily be achieveable and definately within his budget. A self-installed setup can be done for less than $2k.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
You are more than welcome to drive my 4r. I have the s/c and URD mods. I am thinking about the water injection for x-mas.
I will DEFINITELY take you up on the offer when we get together this weekend bud, thanks.

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
As much as I would like to support everyone on a Supra engine swap here, I simply don't think it's needed. The 3.4 has strong internals and can handle lots of power. He likely can achieve 330 hp with a s/c setup although my personal opinion is to look towards a custom turbo setup. 330 hp would easily be achieveable and definately within his budget. A self-installed setup can be done for less than $2k.
I would be very interested in doing such a project but I need somebody with experience who can guide me, Im not so good in uncharted waters when my understanding is so limited to begin with.

None the less I have done a lot of research and I see gadget use to offer some special kit with SC and fuel mods but I dont seem to be able to find that anymore, Ill keep on looking though.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:55 AM

This is the site for the 2 4Runners some are talking about. Both represent the most powerfull 3.4L motor's built so far that we know about.

But with that power I would expect that you would also follow their suit and do suspension work, change the tires/wheels. I would think 12k would be near the amount needed for changing your stock SUV into a sleeper rice killer.

From what I remmember the superchargered one was putting out 400+ and the twin turbo was 500+. The twin turbo 4Runner is owned by Gadget's partner in URD, so they are def the way you want to go.

Last edited by li_runner; 09-21-2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:06 PM

You know I actually like the truck ride look and usability, but I love the straight line power and acceleration of our Merc S500 and Lex SC430 both of which are V8s pushing around 300-320 HP. Just makes long highway drives easier and Im sure the extra power in no way will hurt me when wheeling.

So I wouldnt change much other then the engine work, I have sent off emails to gadget and URD which now I see are both the same.

None the less I will hopefully get a chance to drive Erics (FilthyR) 4runner this weekend which has a SC and URDs upgrades and that might just seal the deal and Ill go with that.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

Looks like you have the LTD which means Auto trans. Don't forget the Valve Body upgrade. You are going to need it. Level 10 offers a great service on those. I think his username is "Transdude" here on YT.

I think that runs $500 or $600. Well within your price range!

By the way, in regards to handling and the amount of power you want...I would definetly consider firming things up a bit at the corners, or at least beefing the sways and installing disco's if you wheel. I am probably pushing about 250 at the crank and my wife has officially classified the 4Runner as an "ice cream truck with rockets attached." In other words, it can be a bit scary, especially mashing the pedal in 2nd gear. I can't imagine 300 WHP!!
Old 09-21-2005, 07:22 PM

hey jimmy,
i didnt know u were on yotatech too...
i'm from leesburg, my sis graduated from Vtech too
damn, small world...anyway, hit me up if u wanna wheel, that place near pevs is a bit bigger then most ppl think. And i know some cool places outside of that.
-mike
Old 09-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Swissdrums
hey jimmy,
i didnt know u were on yotatech too...
i'm from leesburg, my sis graduated from Vtech too
damn, small world...anyway, hit me up if u wanna wheel, that place near pevs is a bit bigger then most ppl think. And i know some cool places outside of that.
-mike
that place by pevs is definately illegal. a lot of my buddies have gotten tickets there.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:31 PM

well, i was there the other day...too bad a sheriff drove by while my friends jeep and i were all muddy up on the side of the road...didnt even stop...maybe i got lucky

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Performance 4runner? 10-12K budget 3rd Gen