Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Passenger side coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passenger side coolant leak

O.k I need a little help. I have searched the archives and nothing comes close to this. I have a steady (1drop per sec) leak on the passenger side. Engine runs drop dead gorgeous. I have already had both HG replaced and this is nothing like that. It's close to where the ac would drip. So far the only wet spot I can see is the front of the tranny tunnel insulation. The fire wall appears dry. There are a few spatters on the engine but nothing that would lead me to think it was coming from that, just wind blown while driving, maybe. The tranny is dry and clean. I guess my question is can the heater core leak to the outside? Is there a drain hole or anything? I think it may be my heater core because when I turn on the heat I get a blast of coolant smell that lasts for about ten minutes and then either goes away or I don't notice it anymore. Has anyone had a passenger side coolant leak like this before. any help woulod be greatly appreciated.

Because it is a 3.0 you can hardly see anything through that bag of worms on the top. Let me know if there is a sensor or anything that my need to be changed. I'm going to disconnect the Heater core and ee if the leak stops. THat'll be me first test.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-14-2005, 06:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure about the 3.0, but on the 3.4, there is a drain on the block on the passenger side. If that was passing, it would be leaking near (slightly ahead of) where the AC drain is. On mine, there is a bolt right beside a small metal tube coming out of the side of the engine (gotta look behind the flaps in the passenger side wheel well to see it). To drain the block, you loosen the bolt, and the fluid drains out through the tubing. Maybe grasping at straws here, but might be worth a look.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/3-0-coolant-bypass-hose-rear-intake-68448/

James
Old 10-15-2005, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
I'm not sure about the 3.0, but on the 3.4, there is a drain on the block on the passenger side. If that was passing, it would be leaking near (slightly ahead of) where the AC drain is. On mine, there is a bolt right beside a small metal tube coming out of the side of the engine (gotta look behind the flaps in the passenger side wheel well to see it). To drain the block, you loosen the bolt, and the fluid drains out through the tubing. Maybe grasping at straws here, but might be worth a look.
There is a coolant drain plug on the 3.0 very close to the motor mount. I've never heard of one leaking but it's very possible. Some have had external HG leaks and that wouldn't cause the engine to run poorly like an internal leak does.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

There's a couple of heater bypass hoses back there that can start to leak. Really hard to see, but back there, behind the plenum and in front of the firewall. Also, the casting plugs (x5 - 3 on the right bank, 2 on the left) can get corroded. This sounds more likely for your problem...looks like it's coming from the transmission mount. I just put some Stop Leak (eeekk) through it...no problem. I'll replace them when I do the clutch.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:24 PM

THe J-tube was the culprit. Thanks for the help. It had pin hole in it and was spraying the fire wall. It had to really rupture before I saw it. I jsut used fuel line and hose clamps, so far so good.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

this j tube of which you speak

Is that the little bitty one that is so far down that you have to pull the plenum to change it?

If so, how hard was it to get off? I have all the nuts loosened but I want to be in 'n out in the same day. Doable?
Old 10-17-2005, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rah1420
Is that the little bitty one that is so far down that you have to pull the plenum to change it?

If so, how hard was it to get off? I have all the nuts loosened but I want to be in 'n out in the same day. Doable?
I didn't have to pull the plenum. It was a pain but it saved me time. I can only recommend this if you have small hands. If you are bigfoot, step one: pull off upper plenum.........

James