Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Panhard Rod Making Noise - Clunk Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panhard Rod Making Noise - Clunk Clunk

I've searched and it sounds like this is a fairly common problem with the panhard rod making noise in the rear when articulating or going over bumps or simply shaking the truck from side to side - but it seems no one really found a solution. Anyone had this issue and resolved it somehow - other than buying a new panhard rod. One thread mentions using weather stripping - but never heard a long term report on that solution.

Thanks
John
Old 03-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

*subscribes*
I'd be interested in a solution as well.

AFAIK the bushings aren't replaceable, right?
Old 03-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

This will fix it right up in no time http://www.trail-gear.com/trail-link.html

Have you tried spraying down everywhere the panhard bar moves with some lubricant? If that doesn't do anything take it off and replace the bushings.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:13 PM

I believe the bushings aren't a separate component - They come with the panhard rod. I also I don't think greasing will do the trick - since it's not a sqeaking noise - but it won't hurt to try that.

John
Old 03-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Are you sure it's the panhard bar that's making the clunking? Check to see if the other links aren't loose and check the shocks to see that the top bushing are tight.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ever since I took out my stock bar and switched it out with a SS bar, its made the noise. Obviously it was nice and tight in there before I screwed with it.

Anyways, I had some luck with an impact wrench (tightening) and spraying some white lithium grease in there to lube it. So far, so good. Its been about 6 months.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTS
Are you sure it's the panhard bar that's making the clunking? Check to see if the other links aren't loose and check the shocks to see that the top bushing are tight.
I'm 90% sure it's the panhard rod. I know it's not the shocks - I just replaced those last week and it did it before and after the new shocks and I know the bushings are tight. When I put my head under he rear end the noise really seems to be coming from the top right (passenger side) panhard rod link area. It doesn't really make the noise jumping up and down on the rear suspension I have to wiggle the truck side to side for it to clunk, clunk. Also when I have someone shake the truck and it's clunking away I grab on to the panhard rod and the noise quites down - so again seems like the panhard rod and not something else.

John
Old 03-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

you have a new panhard rod vs stock? maybe the bushings are standard size versus correct metric size? or maybe they are worn out and dead?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Pull the panhard bar and check to see if there is wear on the bolt, could be slipping inside the bushing.

The only times I've had any kind of clunk, similar to yours was when I busted a shock mount, top link bolt came loose at the frame and a bottom link bolt came loose.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:02 PM

I have the stock panhard rod & it's got 147K miles on it. I'm sure the bushings are pretty worn.

John
Old 03-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

maybe, and like BruceTS says, check the bolts for wearing...
Old 03-19-2007, 06:33 PM

Yeah I will check the bolts and report back... I found this thread with a little more searching and a worn bolt seems like a possibility...
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...=panhard+noise
Old 03-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceTS
X2

Old 03-19-2007, 06:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
just tighten the bolts.
Both mine and my friends made the same noise after bag installation..
REALLY tighten them!
Kenny ><S
Old 03-20-2007, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by sharrack
just tighten the bolts.
Both mine and my friends made the same noise after bag installation..
REALLY tighten them!
Kenny ><S
I don't have a torque wrench but I do have a piece of 3ft. pipe I put over my ratchet and tightened the heck out of the panhard bolts and what do you know.... no clunky clunk. You were right - you REALLY need to tighten them! Thanks for the input! Hope that works for others aswell.

John
Old 03-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

You can tighten it and will stop for a while but the rubber bushing will finally disolve more allowing the bolt housing to move and therefore clunk. I finally replaced mine with Sonoran Steel's adjustable panhard bar, he used to re-use the old rod ends off of stock bars, he now sells the a COMPLETLY new bar, with new bushings, i have not heard any clunking noise since i replaced the bar, plus i needed it for my lift. i think he sells them for $175 and he's a good guy to deal with. I chased this problem for about a year trying to figure away round buying a new bar, and could not come up with a solution, however i believe that it is just more annoying than damaging, you can probably run it that way for years with no problems if you do not mind the noise. hope this helps
Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by TX-BLKRUNNER
You can tighten it and will stop for a while but the rubber bushing will finally disolve more allowing the bolt housing to move and therefore clunk. I finally replaced mine with Sonoran Steel's adjustable panhard bar, he used to re-use the old rod ends off of stock bars, he now sells the a COMPLETLY new bar, with new bushings, i have not heard any clunking noise since i replaced the bar, plus i needed it for my lift. i think he sells them for $175 and he's a good guy to deal with. I chased this problem for about a year trying to figure away round buying a new bar, and could not come up with a solution, however i believe that it is just more annoying than damaging, you can probably run it that way for years with no problems if you do not mind the noise. hope this helps
I'm willing to let it go as long as possible as long as it's not clunking. We'll see how long this lasts - but I'm sure eventually I will need a new bar. But for now - I will enjoy the silence.

John
Old 03-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Hey, I said that first!!

I used an impact wrench and then a breaker bar and tightened the heck out of the top bolt and no problem snow.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:01 AM

You're right you did say it first. Guess it took a few times for it to sink in. Thanks and for your effort is a fancy gold star.

john
Old 03-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

yay, i feel much better now ;D

Quick Reply: Panhard Rod Making Noise - Clunk Clunk