Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Painting Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting Tail Lights

I know we've gone over this several times but I've gone to automotive stores and i can't seem to find that candy red laquer. So if anyone has done something else. I went to www.homemadeturbo.com and they used Krylon Stained Glass paint. Something about that makes me feel like it might not last not to mention that i get one pass at it (one think coat). My other option seems to be buying the candy red laquer from testor for R/C cars... http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1225 .... quite the dilemma... can anyone steer me in the right direction... I'm looking to get this done over spring break.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Scruff
I know we've gone over this several times but I've gone to automotive stores and i can't seem to find that candy red laquer. So if anyone has done something else. I went to www.homemadeturbo.com and they used Krylon Stained Glass paint. Something about that makes me feel like it might not last not to mention that i get one pass at it (one think coat). My other option seems to be buying the candy red laquer from testor for R/C cars... http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1225 .... quite the dilemma... can anyone steer me in the right direction... I'm looking to get this done over spring break.
I have heard of the R/C lexan paint being used on tailights. From what I have heard it works quite well.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:20 PM

I found CAR at NAPA, but the industry is slowly phasing out lacquer. I buy all my kustom bike paints here...
http://www.Hyper-Formance.com/paints.htm
He sells spray cans of kandy red called 'Flamboyant Cardinal Red'. I've used this candy red on many projects (pint cans thought) and it's good stuff. Kinda pricey, but it's candy red lacquer. I've found that a clear coat of catalyzed automotive poly gives a killer shine with no fade or dullness. Mine is still glossy 3 years now. Clear lacquer won't hold up as well.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:52 PM

where can i find this "catalyzed automotive poly"?
Old 02-27-2004, 05:42 AM

I've used transparent red from testors and then applied clear coat. It held up well for a year until I sold that car. I'm sure it's still holding up today.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Scruff
where can i find this "catalyzed automotive poly"?
It's what all cars are clearcoated with today. You'll need a spray gun and it's about 60 bucks a quart with hardner. I suggest call a few body shops and ask if they would clear a pair of tails for ya. Needs to be shot in a booth anyway and is very toxic...not worth you spending serious dough just for one job. Just do the masking and drop em off. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:30 AM

Thanks, my cousin runs a body shop. I'm sure it won't be a problem. Just for verification i spray the candy red according to instructions in that other thread on painting tails (light coats with short dry times) then take them to the body shop and have the tail coated with catalyzed auto poly? Whole tail or just the painted red part?
Old 02-27-2004, 02:33 PM

I just shot it on the red. The original all clear tail light lens looks brand new still (the upper clear part.) I did toy with the idea of doing it 'reverse' by putting the brake/tail bulb on the upper part...I did a very light scuff/sand of the clear plastic before I painted it...must have used 1200 or 1500 grit, just to slightly dull the gloss off. Shoot them side by side...one pass on one, one pass on the other...you don't want one lens darker than the other...real easy to muck up with transparant paint. Kool about the body shop deal...just left over poly from a paint job will cover those tails.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:03 PM

My friend with a 93 Honda Civic Hatch, painted his tails red with a transparent paint they use glass, it looks real good and its still holding up, its been 3 years. I bought it at wal-mart for like $4cdn.