95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OVERSIZED Mobil 1 oil filter....Just a newbe making the world a brighter place

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OVERSIZED Mobil 1 oil filter....Just a newbe making the world a brighter place

New member:
hello my name is ice runner , will you be my friend?

Hi I'm new to this forum but I have been a guest in the past. I serched all over on the search engines about finding out specs for adding a oversized oil filter for my 99' (V6 3.4L) runner and couldnt find anything.
Why am I researching this?
I have heard that the benifits are as follows for using a oversized oil filter:
1) Larger oil capicity
2) Better cooling due to larger filter surface area (kind of like a larger "heat sink")
3) More filter media to filter more debris, contaminants (and filter will last longer).
4) More filter media = less restriction AND a Larger capacity to hold debris so the filter is less likely to be clogged (and bypassed) on extended drain intervals.

Does anyone AGGREE or DISAGREE with this?
FYI: I'm cool with any disagreements about these statements and I just want the truth about this and I'm 100% open for inteligent debate.

ALSO, After stoping by my local autozone and doing so comparisons with the "M1 102" (OEM Size for my 99" 3.4L V6).
What I found was this the MI 209 is the same price (10.99), the same diameter, the same threaded inlet, but the M1209 appears to be about 2" longer.

So today, I called the mobil 1 filter hotline (i got a tech from Champion Filter company) and asked about using an oversized Mobil 1 filter for the 4-Runner and I mentioned the M1 209, and the hotline tech stated that this can be considered a upgrade to the "M1 102" Size.

This seems too good to be true....?

I also asked him the following questions:

Q. are the bypass presures the same with both of these filters?
My worry is that I don't want to *uck with the bypass filter presure with a larger sized filter and end up continously run unfiltered oil throught my runner's engine.
A. HIS ANSWER: Everything is the same (same media type, relief valve, same bypass pressure, smae gasket and gasket size) but the length of the filter appears to be about 2" longer and I guestimate the it would be about 50% better capacity.
Bottom line: The teck said: "if the clearance will fit, then your all good".

he also went on to say that if your using mobil 1 oil, that this filter or the normal "m1 102 " will last 15,000 miles, just as Mobil 1 extended performance synthetic oil would.

In addition he went on to say that the filter filters down to 10 microns and that the multi pass efficeincy lead the catgory at 99.2 percent and the next best competator was at 94%, and that Average was competator 80-to 83% efficiency.
He went on to say they make super tech and K&N and that K&N is similar construction but increased flow rate (for racing apps) but didn't filter as well.

Just thought i'd pass some info along I buying the filter today, and will get back.

MY QUESTION:
1)DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH OTHER FILTERS OR INFORMATION THAT CONFIRMS THISWITH OTHER FILTERS?

Thanks, any suggestions on this brand/ model filter or another brand/ model filter is welcome.

Last edited by icerunner; 04-06-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

On the 3.4, many of us have run a larger filter for years.

The stock replacement Amsoil part number is: SDF57 (EAO57)
The oversized filter is: SDF34 (EAO34)

The same numbers apply to the 2.7

The filter is identical, except of being a bit longer. It can be a tight fit in stock vehicles, but for those of us with some extra room, it's a natural choice.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

thanks

thanks rob,
good info thanks
Old 04-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Also look at the very top thread in this forum.

Ok... if you can't see it click here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/larger-oil-filter-50-more-media-102066/
Old 04-06-2007, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by icerunner
I have heard that the benifits are as follows for using a oversized oil filter:
1) Larger oil capicity
2) Better cooling due to larger filter surface area (kind of like a larger "heat sink")
Good info to know, I think the larger fileter media is the main benefit. These benefits listed above are marginal.

More oil capacity: You get maybe 8oz more of fluid capacity? Not exactly a lot.
Better cooling: Again marginal is any measurable difference. The surface area exposed to cool the oil is so small compared to the entire system.

An oil cooler would make a much larger difference, but it is also more expensive.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:50 PM

I used one of the filters referenced in the above thread, the napa gold 1516. I couldnt be happier with it. With the stock filter, the oil would look almost black by the time it had 3500 miles on it. Now, the oil hits 3500 miles and it looks great, light golden brown in color. I've also noticed no adverse affects from using it.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:03 PM

Larger oil filter

Will the larger oil filter mod work for an '02 4Runner with a 3.4? Would I use the same part number for the filters?
Old 04-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toy02
Will the larger oil filter mod work for an '02 4Runner with a 3.4? Would I use the same part number for the filters?
Yes, all 2.7L and 3.4L engines use the same filters.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmm........oooooo..........ahhhhhhh....oooooooo. .......
Resurrection!! It's alive!!! haha,
So I went to the store today looking for a Mobil 1 high capacity oil filter and bought a M1-102 because on the box it states that it is already a "high capacity" filer. It also says on another spot on the box, "2xs the capacity of a normal filter". I wonder if Mobil 1 has changed this filter in the last 3 years or has it always been a high capacity filter? Does that mean the M1-209 is a "ginormous capacity" now, like 4xs normal?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by brian2sun
Hmmmm........oooooo..........ahhhhhhh....oooooooo. .......
Resurrection!! It's alive!!! haha,
So I went to the store today looking for a Mobil 1 high capacity oil filter and bought a M1-102 because on the box it states that it is already a "high capacity" filer. It also says on another spot on the box, "2xs the capacity of a normal filter". I wonder if Mobil 1 has changed this filter in the last 3 years or has it always been a high capacity filter? Does that mean the M1-209 is a "ginormous capacity" now, like 4xs normal?
Its always had a high capacity for holding dirt without going to bypass because its a synthetic fiber filter. Very good filter
Old 04-12-2010, 08:29 AM

275,000 miles so far using factory filters. Do you need better?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Potomacduck
275,000 miles so far using factory filters. Do you need better?
Need? No. But the change interval is longer using most synthetic oils and filters and I'm not a big fan of doing oil changes. Instead of changing it every 5K (factory recommended interval), I can go 8K with Mobil 1 (or 15K with "extended performance". Amsoil states 25K for their oil (if using their filter)!! The better the filter, the cleaner and more protected your engine will be. OEM filters are fine, but these filters are designed to be more efficient and that can't be bad.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Its always had a high capacity for holding dirt without going to bypass because its a synthetic fiber filter. Very good filter
So does that mean it doesn't hold more oil, but that it's able to trap more contaminants?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
1 thing you guys have not mentioned is one drawback I see in using a larger oil filter. If the anti-drain-back valve in them is marginal at best, then the larger the oil filter is the longer it will take to fill and pressure up during start-up thus starving the motor for oil more than a standard sizer filter.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by brian2sun
So does that mean it doesn't hold more oil, but that it's able to trap more contaminants?
Right
Old 04-13-2010, 09:20 AM

I prefer to use the OEM Toyota filters, the Lexus/ Toyota v8 filters are the same diameter but longer by about 1". I use these on my Supras too. It cant hurt to have a larger filter, unless maybe it is gigantic, like a diesel filter like xxx posted above, might be the only drawback.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I too went with the Napa Gold 1516 referenced above and have noted that I do have a larger oil capacity (takes 6 quarts vice 5 when I do the change) and have noted a longer time till the oil begins to change color. I am due for an oil change now as the color has gone from light amber to a medium amber (5,000 miles) and my engine still is just below the full mark, this engine still does not use any oil to speak of at 153,000 and counting! I am going to stick with the NAPA Gold.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:23 PM

I just use the Tarus filter... Is that what this is?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yukon
I just use the Tarus filter... Is that what this is?
Yeah, both my Truck and 95 Taurus can use the same filter.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:49 PM

If you're at the parts store flipping through the application books for filters, the Ford 3.0 V6 from the 90's is the filter that is the same as our filter, just longer and therefore more capacity. Every brand has it's own sizing codes, I just look for a late 90's Ford 3.0 V6 application and that's the right one.

I used a Purolator Pure-One in the bigger size this last oil change, and now I have a K&N in the larger size. It's slightly harder to remove due to the extra length, but I like having the extra filtration and the price is the same anyway.

Quick Reply: OVERSIZED Mobil 1 oil filter....Just a newbe making the world a brighter place