Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Out with the old. In with the new(ish) 4runner...((Warning: Long))

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out with the old. In with the new(ish) 4runner...((Warning: Long))

WARNING...this is long!

So, after several years of ownership, I finally sold my 1998 4Runner V6 4x4 LTD gold pkg (109K miles) with TRD scoop, brush guards, diff lock, lift, 285 Nitto tires and radio...for $11,000. (The goal: sell it before the miles got too high and the value depreciated significantly.) I felt good about the price until I started looking for a replacement. It says a lot about Toyotas that I found few older 4Runners or older Tacomas for sale in Utah--even though they're all over the roads--for under $7K+. And, the only Toyotas I was finding in the price range I was searching ($4,000 - $5000) were a handful of 1990 - 1995 4Runners/Ext Cab Trucks with 150K - 200K+ miles.

So, I landed on a 1995 V6 4x4...with "only" 145K miles...for $4000. Nice shape, and only a few things to do to it (rear window mot working, horrible stock AM/FM radio.) Bought it...then the check engine light came on as I was driving away. Nice. Fortunately, I was able to return it immediately.

Then, I tried buying a 1995 V6 4x4 4Runner with 120K. Sounded great up front (the chewed through seat belts--from dogs, and non-functional defroster & rear wiper all sounded like easy fixes). Then, the test drive was a joke. That thing had less power than my old 1988 Toyota 4cyl EFI truck dragging a 4" lift and pushing 33" tires.

After a month searching I finally found the one I landed on--a 1997 4Runner LTD V6 4x4 gold pkg. It looks EXACTLY like my old truck (my brother thought it was the same 4Runner at first look). I'm stoked! It has 50K more miles, no lift, no diff lock, no brush guards and no scoop...but I pocketed nearly $5,500!

I don't plan to do a lift and/or bigger tires again. With gas prices the way they are, I really regreted the lift/tires when my MPG went from 19-21 to around 14-15. And, the stock clearance and 265 AT ties will be good enough to haul me and my 4wheelers into the mountains. (I was pouring $ into gas with the lift/tires.)

But, there "were" a few things to fix. Not working: rear air does nothing when button pushed, rear passenger window does nothing, and antenna is broke at bottom so NO AM/FM radio. The body is nice--except the hood was dinged up. As if it were meant to be, I still had my old (pre TRD scoop) hood--exact same color. So, replaced that ASAP. Looks great outside. Also, the LTD running boards were smashed on one side--stripped those off first thing. The 4Runner height/clearnace looks pretty close to mine with the added 2.5" Revtek lift). (Obviously, it's only a 2.5" diff!) Then, wrapped some duct tape around a nail and stuck it doen the antenna hole to cap it off (and make it look a bit better than a hole). Suprisingly, looks good (compared to before). And, I now have AM/FM! Ha! (Admitedly, limited.) Then, tore out/checked all fuses. Another "ha" moment...the fuse for the rear air was missing. Inserted new 10 amp fuse...presto! Air! Lastly, before ripping off the door panel to check the window motor I decided to simply pull out the passenger switch. Last "ha" moment--the switch plug was disconnected! Idiots!!

Took me about an hour to fix everything, rip off the crappy running boards and switch hood. And, the guy I bought this from sold it at over $2K under blue book becuase of the "problems."

HA! It's a Great Day in Yota Ville!!

BTW---wife is selling Sequoia (same reason--reaching 90K and want to beat the depreciation bang). So, she bought a new(ish) 1995 Land Cruiser with only 129K miles for $7K. Love it! A couple easy fixes there too (rear window motor, new door handle, popped a dent) and it looks/drives like a pro! Love the sliding rear windows!!

Love the Yotas!
Old 10-21-2007, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think he should have given you an extra $1k off of the price with the vehicle being so crapped up. Sorry you had to invest so much time fixing everything, but at least you're okay now.

Seriously, that's great that you find a 3rd gen with all those "problems". I hope I do as well when I start to look.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:46 PM

good deal bra!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 AM

Time to change up your sig.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by ToysRus
I finally sold my 1998 4Runner V6 4x4 LTD gold pkg (109K miles) (The goal: sell it before the miles got too high...)

After a month searching I finally found the one I landed on--a 1997 4Runner LTD V6 4x4 gold pkg. It has 50K more miles
I can see selling the 98 if you no longer wanted the higher payments, but I'd be learly about downgrading to a truck with that many miles. My concern would be that the law of diminishing returns would rear it's ugly head and you end up dumping more $$ into your new truck due to its higher mileage. If your gas mileage was that bad why not just sell the lift and tires and return it to stock?

Edit: I don't mean to sound negative, congrats on the truck.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Whitey13
I can see selling the 98 if you no longer wanted the higher payments, but I'd be learly about downgrading to a truck with that many miles. My concern would be that the law of diminishing returns would rear it's ugly head and you end up dumping more $$ into your new truck due to its higher mileage. If your gas mileage was that bad why not just sell the lift and tires and return it to stock?

Edit: I don't mean to sound negative, congrats on the truck.
Our 96 limited has 245K on it, and no problems ever. most trouble free car Ive ever had. (ive had over 20 vehicles) you got a lot of miles left.
Only thing Ive had to fix, was replacing the starter.
and our antenna is broken too, but its up most of the way.

Glad you didnt get the 3.0 V-6. The head gaskets blow often.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:43 PM

It seems you sold your nicer runner, got an older one, then sold your wife's sequoia to get another car that is older, not as nice, and gets less mpg? I don't see the point?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 93 runner has 285k, it is a 3.0, auto, i have had this truck for 5 years now, I have only just started to have problems with it(knock sensor, rear window, starter) I have to say, I have owned many vehicles, and i still feel more confident driving my yota w/285k than a chev or ford with 85k, even with the check engine light on(knock sensor) its till runs great, the only problem is fixing the sensor(under intake manifold), its a pain, but I would deffinetly say you have found a great deal, that truck should last you a while
Old 02-29-2008, 06:25 PM

96 Runner with 240km's, water pump at 190k but other than that trouble free. Never left me stranded. She's just broke in, lots of life left.