Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ordering rebuilt 3.0L to start the great project

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Ordering rebuilt 3.0L to start the great project

Well, I'm a weeks out from ordering a totally rebuilt 3VZE for my 95 Ltd.4runner. $2,895 is a lot a dough, but I'm dropping it because I love that runner. Has anyone out there had any experiences with
rebuilt-auto-engines.com ? That's where it's coming from and if they do what they say they do, it's going to be sweet and on par or exceed manufactuers specs. The project will include: new longblock 3VZE, Auto Tranny rebuild, new front axels, Rotors/pads, Downey headers/crossover/cat/tubing/muffler/transfer case replumbing kit, Downey Rr. springs/26mm torsions/low-profile snubbers/front and rear sway bar poly bushings, Edelbrock IAS Performer shocks, new steering spindle bearings, BF AT 31x10.5 or maybe 32x11.5 on my stock 15x7 alloys, dropping running boards for some nerfs, adding Class II Rr. hitch, and anything else that looks bad and needs replaced. My mechainc is going to worn out on this project.

It should all be complete by August and when I return from Iraq in September she'll be waiting for me. Can't wait. Will post lots of pics (especially since I have none now posted). If anyone has some insight to other little things that they encountered on similar projects that may help me avoid any problems I'd appreciate it. Thanks much--shane

Last edited by jshanefadely; 06-12-2004 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:58 AM

Sounds like a good project ,it will be like a new car.I would also look at getting the head ported & polished to try & improve on power & effiency.
Wish you a safe time in Iraq,
Old 06-12-2004, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious why you chose that rebuilder instead of:

http://www.jasperengines.com/home.html
Old 06-12-2004, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gosh that's almost 3 g's why not look for a newer 3.4l taco engine. If I had that kind of dough I wouldn't have wasted time rebuilding my 3.slow. Nevermind saw you had a automatic I guess the 3.4 drop in option ain't happening with that auto tranny unless you got a R150 5 speed and dropped it in. Anyways shop around you can find rebuilt engines with competive prices on ebay.

Last edited by 934rnr; 06-12-2004 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:11 AM

I just got quoted $2000 for a complete reman 3.0 installed. with waranty, I just don't know if I trust some of the crud that is out there. Alot of the re-done motors are the Japan take outs....

mike
Old 06-12-2004, 01:12 PM

I would much rather have work done on my own engine than buy another engine you know nothing about,Plus that way you can customise the job to your liking,I dont see the point in rebuilding one to stock ,you might as well tweek it a little,to improve on the week points of the design,things like balancing& machining,these go a long way to improve any engine.I see no reason why you couldnt get much better performance out of the 3.slow by giving it some extra work.
I wouldnt do it to a engine thats working fine ,but if you have decided to get work done already ,what do you have to lose.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Maddog
Sounds like a good project ,it will be like a new car.I would also look at getting the head ported & polished to try & improve on power & effiency.
Wish you a safe time in Iraq,
Yeah, port/polish is definitely something will have to be done since I'm going this far. I'm in too deep now to cut corners. Thanks for the looking out. Talked w/ you about the airbod not to long ago. Going to do the take out that elbow but will probably not cut the hole for a deckplate once I get get back to my runner. --shane
Old 06-13-2004, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by gwhayduke
Just curious why you chose that rebuilder instead of:

http://www.jasperengines.com/home.html

I came across jasperengine.com in a search once but never really looked into it. I researched a few options and decided on that one but I'll go back and check out jasperengines and see what they have to say. Have you done business with them or know of any "good news" stories on their engines?--shane
Old 06-13-2004, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by psd4mike
I just got quoted $2000 for a complete reman 3.0 installed. with waranty, I just don't know if I trust some of the crud that is out there. Alot of the re-done motors are the Japan take outs....

mike
Was this through a local mechanic/machine shop? Was this an online offer? What all would be done in the reman process? I know what you mean when you say "trust". If they do what say they do, again trust, this engine is going to exceed factory specs and process in which they rebuild and parts used can be read on their website (too long to post here) and sounds really good. The mechanic that will be doing all this stuff for me is a friend of the family and has done us awesome work before and takes a personal interest in it and charges very little. If I say...got a rebuild kit for maybe $800 and then had him pull and then he'd have to find a machine shop local (which there aren't a lot of good ones around) and then reinstall. My rationale is that I'd like to have a reman engine done by people who specialize in the process that have the best tools for the trade. Plus, it's hard coordinating with a mechanic 10,000 miles away. I am curious to know about your find though.--shane
Old 06-13-2004, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by 934rnr
Gosh that's almost 3 g's why not look for a newer 3.4l taco engine. If I had that kind of dough I wouldn't have wasted time rebuilding my 3.slow. Nevermind saw you had a automatic I guess the 3.4 drop in option ain't happening with that auto tranny unless you got a R150 5 speed and dropped it in. Anyways shop around you can find rebuilt engines with competive prices on ebay.
I researched a 3.4L swap and then the process with the automatic threw too many kinks in it. Before my runner I always owned small cars with 4cyl and my ignorance of what real HP is maybe a good thing. I'm not demanding an engine with serious power. I don't mind my 3.slow's power as is but want just a tad more out of it. A good running new 3.0 with headers exhaust will be fine for me. Would rather have 3.4 I guess but I think I'll be satisfied with all that I'm doing to it. --shane