Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Options for Mounting CB Ant.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Options for Mounting CB Ant.

I recently bought have partially installed a Cobra 18 WX ST II in the din pocket under my factory radio - tight fit but thanks to all who offered pics & advice.

PROBLEM: I have decided I don't like the front bumper or hood mounted antenna. Instead, i am trying for a rear bumper mount that still clears the hatch when opened. So far, all the bracket options at my local CB shop SUCK! Some have the option of drilling into my rear bumper, but would leave lots of wire showing even if I tried to run it as neat & tight as I can OR have to be mounted so for to the side of the bumper that they stick out too far. So, any ideas or tips on what worked for you?

Thx,

m

PS: Yes, I did a search & checked out the round-up.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Bob 98SR5 has some type of setup going on in the rear of his truck.

I know he took a hood channel mount and straightened it out for his purposes - maybe you don't want to go that way?
Try a search with his name in the user field.

Actually, that was based on someone who had a mount that went between the tailgate and the rest of the bed (next to the rear lights). Maybe that's an option?
Old 09-29-2003, 05:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...antenna+bumper

the only prob with this mount is that the antenna gets in the way w/ the fixed mount. if you put a spring mount, then its not a prob---just bend the antenna out of the way. but then you have to figure out a way to keep that antenna from swinging like a monkey. but it works and i'm much happier w/ it in the rear than rather than the front hood channel mount.

bob
Old 09-29-2003, 06:05 PM

hey Matt I remember you saying you had a tjm? If so, just mount it there, no drilling required, and easy to get the coax to.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:07 PM

Rob,

You are correct - I have a TJM but much to my dismay, I got one without the nifty ant. mounting tab. Local guys want too much to fab, weld, and match color for an aftermarket tab. Although I would have likley just put it there, since I don't have the tab, I got the old mind set on rear mount as I don't like the front mount whipping around anyway (have a bud with one on his nissan and it drives us crazy when doing daily or HWY driving).

BUT, I have jumped on the Firestick mount ouotlined above. It took me a while to find one local but I got it and it should be to my CB shop tomorrow. Now all I will have to do is beat it flat. Even though going with the rear mount, I should be OK as I have "peaked & tuned" my radio and am getting a good reading from my test run.

matt
Old 09-30-2003, 12:23 PM

sorry if this is off topic...

matt where are you located at in AR?
Old 09-30-2003, 12:28 PM

No problem as it is my thread anyway. I am in Maumelle, AR, just outside of little rock. I moved here about 2 years ago from Fairbanks, AK. We are in the Army and move every 2-3 years. However, because of the war(s), we may actually get to stay a total of 4 - yet to be determined though. Also depends if I have to deploy or not.

How about you?
Old 09-30-2003, 12:49 PM

I live in Bryant. Its about 15 miles south of LR. Go wheelin' any?
Old 09-30-2003, 12:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Matt,

The rear mount I did gets a little less reception/range than the front channel mount. I knew that that was a possibility going in. However, I don't need to talk politics w/ some trucker guy on the I-5 so it was not a big deal as I only use my CB when wheeling w/ people only a few hundred yards away.

As for straightening out the mount, i put mine in a vice and pounded it out w/ a mini-hand sledgehammer and then back in the vice. T'was easy and fun.

Bob
Old 09-30-2003, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

*sniff sniff*
I smell an add-on revision to someone's CB install write-up.
Or is it already there?
Old 09-30-2003, 12:57 PM

Bob,

Thx & your set up is my inspiration. Had I not been referred to your thread, i would have been screwed and would have gone with a less appealing mounting option. My CB shop guy admits it is not the most idealistic set-up, but with some (maybe a lot?) of tweaking, he thinks he can still make it such that I can rach out & touch someone. Thanks for being the guinnie pig.

Danny,

Yep, we are not that far away. No, I don't really go wheeling. Instead, I use (or should I say beat the hell out of) my rig to get to my hunting & fishing holes. Lots of mud, logging roads, but not to many rocks. Regardless, plenty of opportunity to get stuck.

Next time I head down your way, I will give you a PM as I would really like to see your rig. I notice yours is locked. i would give up my first born for a locker - just not in the a cards anytime soon.

Thanks guys,

matt
Old 09-30-2003, 01:08 PM

cool. just gimme a shout. btw, what year is your rig?
Old 09-30-2003, 01:29 PM

I have a 98: 4x4, TJM, custom roof rack with permenant hi-lift mount, 265/75r 16 BFG ATs, 2.2" lift front & back, rancho 5000s (love em no matter what anybody says), lightforce 140s, throttle-body spacer, K&N, catch-all mats, blah, blah, blah - but no locker (whaaaa!)