95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Which option should I choose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which option should I choose?

Hello brothers and sisters,

Hope all is well within the community.

I have a difficult decision to make pretty soon and was thinking I would come to the place where I was provided tons of advice and beautiful build-ups that gave me inspiration to do the things I have done to my rig over the years. (and still doing!) Ill get right to the issue.

Two years ago I got my transmission rebuilt (~$2100) at "Mr. Transmission" that was recommended by a trusted place I would take her to when I had minor issues/repairs. A year later the engine light came on again. The error was a solenoid P0770. Took it back to the same place and they said a solenoid was bad, the warranty is up, so I paid $300 to $400 to fix. It almost reached another year maybe 3/4ths and it came on again with the same error code. Took it back and they called me the next day saying they recommended me going to the dealership. I do not think they even took a look at the problem. I do not argue over issues like this, shook his hand and said thanks. Called Toyota and was told they do not rebuild, just replace. ($4200).

Options:

1. Take it to a local Toyota dealer ship and have a 5 point inspection done to fine point the issues. Then take it to another transmission shop that was recommended by a co-worker and give it a shot. (best one I have thought of at the moment)

1.1 If the test comes back and tells me that oil is leaking from an area, which it is, and I have tried to get it fixed at several mechanic shops over the years with no answer. I can price this out and it may fix the errors.

2. Another error code PO120 Throttle position has shown up along with the transmission solenoid but was told it is no were near the main problem. Dealer told me he has never seen a throttle position error corrected and it solved a solenoid error. Should I pay to get this corrected alone? (do not like this idea for obvious reasons but the Mr. Transmission owner/employee told me to work on this first.)

3. Cringing on this one. Sell or trade.

Thanks for all of your help and advice!

A little background if you are still reading and have a slight buzz.

I basically grew up with my runner ever since high school. (29 now) Named her after my first crush in elementary school (Kelly). I made it look as good as I could with the money I had and still LOVE it to this day. I just replaced my original taillights with the clear 2001 version and finally installed all LED back lights, blinkers 4 days ago with resistors and it looks awesome. There is so many memories I have with this thing and can not imagine getting rid of it. I am really bummed about the situation because I look forward to doing little mods on the weekend and when I have time. This is my daily driver. I failed emissions recently due to the engine. I was told I can not just park it and earn more money to fix later down the road without getting a huge price tag on getting the tag renewed. I have my grandfathers truck (93 F-150 XLT two gas tanks/gas-guzzler) I can drive in the meantime and try to save up the money but I am worried about the tag fee that supposedly will keep doubling over the time it takes me to save up the money. I live in Atlanta and have to pass emissions.

Disney options:

1. Move somewhere that does not require emissions.

2. Buy a lottery ticket a week before I have to sell my 4runner.

Just put new BFG A/T on her, and still keep her as clean as possible.
So bummed right now.

Thanks again for all of the advice and inspiration to truly customize my runner to something I love.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tough luck man. I would much rather stab in a 100k used trans from a wrecking yard that have one rebuilt. They are just never the same afterward. $500 installed and be on your way. You really need a better Toyota mechanic. The TPS issue is probably very easily resolved. A new TPS could quite possibly fix your PO770. The TPS plays a huge part in the trans ECU and how it shifts. It stinks you are paying people to do this work because it can eat you up when the problems might be quite simple afterall.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you. I talked to a Toyota service rep today and dropped it off. It has been leaking oil for quite some time and all of the mechanics I have taken it to never solve the problem. He said they will keep it overnight and clean the engine to find out where it is leaking. Crossing fingers that not to much is wrong with it but you just never know. Should have done this ALONG time ago. The service rep was extremely helpful and nice about everything. The service charge to have this done was $56 which I thought was an excellent price.

More updates tomorrow.