Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OPTIMA -- Red Top or Yellow Top

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OPTIMA -- Red Top or Yellow Top

I'm thinking of returning the red top optima that I just bought (and have not yet installed) for a yellow top.

I do not have a winch.

I do have some stereo gear and fog lights.

Is it worth the extra money for the yellow top?
Old 06-25-2003, 02:24 PM

your using the the battery to start right?? you use a red top, yellow tops are not for starting. it optima finds out your using the yellow top to start the 4runner they will void the warranty.

Chris
Old 06-25-2003, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by impulsebrklyn
your using the the battery to start right?? you use a red top, yellow tops are not for starting. it optima finds out your using the yellow top to start the 4runner they will void the warranty.

Chris
1) I don't think they will find out...
2) I don't think that's true to begin with
3) Get the yellow top
Old 06-25-2003, 03:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
YELLOW
YELLOW
YELLOW
YELLOW

one more time

YELLOW!!
Old 06-25-2003, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

My 2 cents - if you only have an "average" stereo that doesn't suck loads of juice, and moderate fog lamps, and you live in a climate where you have to start your vehicle in very cold temps. then the Red Top might be a good choice - you get alot more cranking power available (unless you get one of those huge group 31 yellow tops, LOL)

If you have a mega-stereo, and hi-powered lights, or plan to add such items, then you would probably be better with the Yellow Top. It can take more "abuse" from those items and live a longer life.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:34 PM

i could be wrong but thats the way i interpet this information, also ive read before on other forums optima voiding warranties for that reason

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/optima/indexmain.htm

Optima Red Top Battery (D34/78-1050)
Suited for starting applications on standard vehicles without heavy electrical accessories

Optima Yellow Top Battery (D34/78-950)
Suited for repeated discharges such as running your vehicle with winches or other electrical accessories

acctually the more i read it, it doesnt say yellow isnt for starting just for repeated discharge. Im not sure

Chris

Last edited by impulsebrklyn; 06-25-2003 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by impulsebrklyn
i could be wrong but thats the way i interpet this information, also ive read before on other forums optima voiding warranties for that reason

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/optima/indexmain.htm

Optima Red Top Battery (D34/78-1050)
Suited for starting applications on standard vehicles without heavy electrical accessories

Optima Yellow Top Battery (D34/78-950)
Suited for repeated discharges such as running your vehicle with winches or other electrical accessories

acctually the more i read it, it doesnt say yellow isnt for starting just for repeated discharge. Im not sure

Chris

Yellowtops have a higher CCA than many, many lead acid batteries OF THE SAME SIZE. If your yellowtop is smaller than OE spec, then it may have only equal or similar power, but for the size, they are quite good!
Old 06-26-2003, 05:51 AM

Question

so what i'm interpreting from these responses is that if you're running a "juice sucking" sound system, then a red top would not be a good choice? or would it just not be as good of a choice as a yellow top?

i'm presently running an 800 watt amp for my subs, and i'm planning on adding a 200 watt amp for my speakers in the next few weeks. My stock battery is going to die soon, so i need to buy a new battery anyways. I also plan on adding fog lights in the future, but that probably won't be for several months... as i'm unemployed.

BTW: the stock battery has lasted me a long time, i'm almost at 115K miles and it's a '97. So i'm thinking that the red top should be fine. is there such a significant price difference that it should really be a big choice which one i should get?
Old 06-26-2003, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are two versions of yellow tops. Dark grey bottom is for starting, light grey bottom is deep cycle.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

The Yellowtop deep cycle battery works great for starting. Plus it has a looooong reserve capacity. I had a red top before and it worked fine, but that was before the winch. If the extra $$ isn't a big deal, I would definitely go with the yellow.

Originally posted by Cebby
There are two versions of yellow tops. Dark grey bottom is for starting, light grey bottom is deep cycle.
I'm pretty sure all the yellow-tops were deep cycle. Reds have a dark grey bottom and yellows/blues have a light grey bottom.

Last edited by transalper; 06-26-2003 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:22 AM

If you make the switch to a yellow top - i know for the fit you'll need the spacer (or a block of wood), but do you need to switch to longer cables or can you just stretch the stock ones. If you need longer cables - what should I get?
Old 06-26-2003, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

with a 1" board/spacer, the primary negative is fine, but will need a short extension for the ground wire. A short positive extension is also needed, which you can get at any auto parts store.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:46 PM

thanks cebby that makes more sense now

Chris
Old 06-26-2003, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by transalper
I'm pretty sure all the yellow-tops were deep cycle. Reds have a dark grey bottom and yellows/blues have a light grey bottom.
Oh yea?

They might be deep cycle, but suitable for starting...
Old 06-26-2003, 03:48 PM

I have got a yellow in my 88 and guess what it starts!! Ge the yellow.

Martin
Old 06-26-2003, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

just get one of each

AND make sure that the piece of board is the same size or larger as the battery. Mine was a little smaller and it eventually slide out (after a little abuse ). Caused engine bay and interior to catch on fire when the positive termal grounded itself on the body mount. CB antenna/coax lit up like a christmas tree
Old 06-26-2003, 04:45 PM

They need to make an Optima blue top, blue blue blue. Not yellow or red just BLUE!
Old 06-26-2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by BigBadBlue
They need to make an Optima blue top, blue blue blue. Not yellow or red just BLUE!

Umm...they do. It's a marine battery, I think it's identical to the yellowtop except it has a better warranty or something? I know they are supposed to be better for some reason...maybe they are cheaper? I dunno...
Old 06-26-2003, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Alot of questions will be answered if you simply go to Optima's website www.optimabatteries.com and read through the ENTIRE website. Look at the .pdf files for the batteries, read the FAQ section, read the "using an Optima" page, and go look at these links .

See this page for a comparison and list of all of the variations on the Optima deep cycle batteries.

If you have a very high amp draw when your vehicle is running (mega-lights, mega-stereo, etc) and you have a stock alternator, chances are that a red top will not get charged fast enough by the alternator to replace the power being given off to the accessories, and so will actually begin a slow drain instead of the usual recharge to full capacity. Over time, this will stress out and weaken a Red more than it will a Yellow or Blue. Additionally, if you are prone to running your goodies with the engine (alternator) off, and have a tendency to discharge your battery quite a bit in the process, a deep cycle can be recharged after this event and survive with no problem. A red will probably only do this a few times before it gets weak and dies. I ran a red in my Tacoma for a long time... and then I got lights. The red didn't last all that much longer. I replaced it with a Red due to the emergency circumstances I was in at the time, but I am getting a yellow so I can do a dual-batt setup and retain the Red for cold-starts.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

Oh yea?

They might be deep cycle, but suitable for starting...
Yup. All the yellows are deep cycle but have a good CCA and work great as a starter battery. At least I assume it started this morning since I drove it to work and it's not all downhill from home.

Quick Reply: OPTIMA -- Red Top or Yellow Top