Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Optima Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Optima Battery Question

Ok, I have searched and read the threads, but no one really answers as to the advantages of either choice.

Red top or Yellow top????

Red top has more cranking amps, but will die if drained

Yellow top is Deep cycle but has less cranking amps

For our Trucks we need a 34R for the red top

What model for Yellow top???

I am looking to have a strong reliable battery for my 4runner that can power a set of Offroad lights, a mild subwoofer. I would like to leave the lights on for a half hour or so when setting up camp. Which Battery would best serve my purpose?

Also is a spacer needed for 80's 4Runners.

Thanks -Seth
Old 05-31-2005, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leaving the lights on for half hour will be fine... get a red top... no need for the yellow top in a starting situation... the reseve capacity on a yellow top is only a few minutes mroe than a redtop.....

i have the crappy kragen "red top" and i have left my lights on for longer periods of tiem than that with no problems starting.... i have 210 watts of lights @ 17.5 amps of draw if that matters....
Old 05-31-2005, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Either would work fine, or get a blue top for the best of both worlds. I used to run the original red top (needed a spacer in my '85). Not sure of the model number of the yellow or blue tops, when I got mine there was only one battery size in each model. Just get the same group size in the yellow or blue (marine) top battery as you do in the red.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:19 PM

So the yellow only has a little bit more reserve and less cranking amps.

I will need a spacers for my first gen.

I just read that it is horrible for red tops to be drained all the way down, but I take it a yellow top is designed for this. No that I do it often, but I'd hate to kill an expensive battery this way.

I'll probably have 200 watts of lighting as well. So if you think I could leave them on for even an hour, I doubt I would do much more than that. If that's teh case, then 34R...here I come.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Banned

the yellow top cannot be drained down all the way and recharged several times... i actually did this on my old yellow top in my explorer and after the 5th time it was FUBAR... a red top might allow this 2 times..... a yellow is more resilent than a red top to this... but batteries were not designed to be drained all the way and recharged..... a yellow top is good for contsant on of cycles such as a police car leaving its lights on for 10 minutes while parked at a traffic stop then being recharged again as soon as the car is restarted....
Old 05-31-2005, 02:38 PM

Not to ask stupid questions, but

Wouldn't that mean that a red top wouldn't serve well for leaving lights on for ten minutes while stopped? or is the yellow top just better suited to that?

I'm understanding slowly, thanks for the patience.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:41 PM
Banned

the yellow top would be better suited for the rapid on/off cycles of a service vehicle..... however.... the red is better suited for starting duties and general use.....
Old 05-31-2005, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

The reserve capacity is figured at so many minutes at 25 amps load, as I recall. 200W of lights is about 16 amps, so work back from there. High cranking amps usually means more (thinner) layers of lead/electrolyte inside, deep cycle will have fewer (thicker) layers and a slightly different chemistry to allow for deep discharge and recharge cycles. I think the blue top (marine) battery combines both attributes.

I run a battery similar to the Odyssey battery and it does both deep cycle and high current:
http://www.bakerprecision.com/battery1b.htm
I've drained mine totally dead more than a few times and they pop right back to life. I think they are 8 years old and have been in the truck about 6-7 years now, still going strong.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:52 PM

they're all way better than a lead/acid ,pick one and put it in!
Old 05-31-2005, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by 3yotys
they're all way better than a lead/acid ,pick one and put it in!
Good Point

I'll look into those odyssey's, but with my current knowledge I am leaning toward a red top.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

My old red top is still going strong in my VW diesel. Ran it for about 3 years in the 4Runner then moved it to one VW and when that was totalled into another one. Its about 8 years old and still holds a charge and starts the engine just fine. For the spacer in the Toyota, I just cut a couple of pieces of 2x4 pressure treated wood to fit the battery tray and set the battery on top and clamped it down. You can usually get the plastic shipping (egg crate) spacer at the place you buy the battery. They usually pull them off before putting them on the shelf.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

I am in this same pickle...I am thinking of just going red top because as of now it doesnt look like I'm going to be getting any subs anytime soon, however I am planning on getting some components and an amp to power those so...MAN...I might just go with the Yellow Top, It's been 2 weeks and I haven't gotten anywhere on this battery thing...sheesh.

Good luck with yours man, sounds like for your application a red top will be just fine. All Optima's are awesome!

Fink
Old 05-31-2005, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

dumb question....dont think it deserve its own thread...what is the average life to a auto battery? or just wait for it not to hold an "as good" charge?
Old 05-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Often about 1 month past the warrantee on the battery

I usually replace mine when I start seeing the headlights dimming at idle (assuming the alternator is OK) or the starter starts running slower and slower.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:49 PM
Banned

due t ovarying circumstances there is no average life to an automotive battery, climate, use, vehicle demands, there are too many variables..... a truck living in alaska that used on and off all day will have wya differnt properties than a truck living in florida thats used once a week....
Old 06-01-2005, 12:08 AM
Contributing Member

Red top. As long as you don't drain it all the way it will have more power and cost you less.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:42 AM

So I take that to mean a red top will do fine for winching duties also???
I am in the same situation myself, only running a couple of IPF lights, (cant afford a sweet sound system) and about to add a Warn 8000.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:44 AM
Banned

a red top will be fine, winches are high draw devices and will still kill any battery, however if the engine runs, then the alternator is doing the work......
Old 06-01-2005, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
a red top will be fine, winches are high draw devices and will still kill any battery, however if the engine runs, then the alternator is doing the work......
Thanks, redtop it is then..........
Old 06-01-2005, 08:19 AM

Yeah, this really seems like it is confusing for alot of people. But I guess it makes sense that we see mostly red tops in rigs.

It just doesn't sound liek the yellow top has much of an advantage if any at all. I think I am so conditioned to the marketing of good, better, best that I expect the yellow top to be better....but it is really just different. The yellow just does a little better when needed to be run for long periods, right?

Quick Reply: Optima Battery Question