Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Optima Batteries, Couple of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Optima Batteries, Couple of Questions

The battery that came with my 4runner is in rough shape. Its covered with corrosion/acid plus now its got an extra load from offroad lights and soon to be 400W sub, not to mention its getting colder. All this adds up to a new battery. I'm debating between a Ultima red top and yellow top. I'm guessing I'll go with the yellow top since its only $20 more. Mostly I'm wondering what the correct model number is (re. both red and yellow tops) for my 2nd gen 4runner and if I'll need to do any mods. Also, anybody know the best price on these batteries? The website in the above links has the yellow top for $135, which is the best deal I've found so far.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:35 AM

I got my optima from TNA-Sports.com. Depending on which one you go with, they range from $90 to $116. They are pretty heavy though, so you pay quite a bit in shipping ($45 if I remember correctly). Just FYI.

On a side note... where in NY are you?
Old 09-30-2003, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with a blue top and couldn't be happier. It has extra threaded terminals on top for adding accessories. There is a height difference (Optima is shorter), but you can overcome that with a wood shim under the battery, or you might want to locate an "optima" hold down/box. I saw it in a magazine - mounts where the battery is now, but doesn't use that "bar" that goes across the top of the battery. I'll look for a link tonight for it.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:10 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll check back later for the link. I might also be able to fab up something that goes across the top of the battery and get some shorter bolts. Also, what model number (Optima model number) did you guys purchase? There are 3 different sizes or so on the webpage I posted links to.

On a side note... where in NY are you?
I'm about 45 minutes northwest of you (Ithaca). You'llhave to let me know where some trails are. So far alll I've hit are some local forest trails. Also, I was amazed by how many of the mods you have done are similar to the ones I've done or plan on doing. I'll have to update my webpage so you can see. But, for example, I've had ideas going through my head for the last month or so of how to fab up a rear cargo box w/ room for a single 12" sub. I was planning on something w/ 2x8's, plywood, and a fully enclosed sub (plywood over the top). Then, I check out your webpage and you've already got a writeup for a very similary setup.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by szf2
I'm about 45 minutes northwest of you (Ithaca). You'llhave to let me know where some trails are. So far alll I've hit are some local forest trails. Also, I was amazed by how many of the mods you have done are similar to the ones I've done or plan on doing. I'll have to update my webpage so you can see. But, for example, I've had ideas going through my head for the last month or so of how to fab up a rear cargo box w/ room for a single 12" sub. I was planning on something w/ 2x8's, plywood, and a fully enclosed sub (plywood over the top). Then, I check out your webpage and you've already got a writeup for a very similary setup.
There's not much around here for truck trails... lots of mountain biking trails (if you are into that), but not much for our trucks. There is a park down in PA (about 90 minutes from me) that has tons of trails. I went down last summer and I'm going down again Sunday. You should check it out sometime... great place, lots of fun.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

My local Costco has the Optima Red Top for $99.
I kinda was hoping that my battery would be dead when I went back out to my car that day
Old 09-30-2003, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

If you don't mind buying on eBay, TNA-Sports and OptimaBatteryStore.com both sell deeply discounted Optimas (brand new) with free shipping and factory warranty. I got my Group 31 Yellowtop from OptimaBatteryStore.com through an eBay auction for $140 (it's the BIG one)
Old 07-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

I'm looking at putting a red top into my 2nd gen, as I need something that can take a serious beating in the winter. I seem to have battery problems every single winter, and I'm getting rather tired of it.

Anyone else have a red top in their 2nd gen? What did it take to make it fit?
Old 07-26-2004, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

I have a red top in my Taco from TNA on eBay I believe. If you don't get a spacer tray for it you can just call up Optima and they will mail you one free of charge.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:48 PM
Banned

i have heard the yellowtop although strong enough for a starting battery shouldnt be used as a starting battery mainly... as the yellow top was designed for devices that use much more drain and where a full recharge is unattainable most times...... the alternator on a truck should be able to keep the starting battery all up to full charge all the time... the yellow top is mainly for high drain devices when the vehicle is off....
Old 07-27-2004, 06:07 AM
WT

I replaced my with a redtop (R34)a few weeks ago if you do a search I am sure you will run across it.
This is the Spacer I got Optima to ship me FREE to help get it to the right height to use existing hardware (simple email request).
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...58504504VcaOLK
This is it installed on battery:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...58504756jtPGAL
And the finished product:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...58504904wovXTn
There other pic in the album so look around if you like
Old 07-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cebby
I went with a blue top and couldn't be happier. It has extra threaded terminals on top for adding accessories. There is a height difference (Optima is shorter), but you can overcome that with a wood shim under the battery, or you might want to locate an "optima" hold down/box. I saw it in a magazine - mounts where the battery is now, but doesn't use that "bar" that goes across the top of the battery. I'll look for a link tonight for it.
Cebby, which model # blue did you get? Those extra posts would sure be nice, my battery terminals look like an outlet next to a Christmas tree. Also what is the difference between the blue and yellow? I'm pretty sure I want a deep cycle because of my winch, extra audio amps, cb radio, alarm system and on board air compressor. Plus I might add some extra lights someday.

Last edited by mt_goat; 07-27-2004 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimabena74
i have heard the yellowtop although strong enough for a starting battery shouldnt be used as a starting battery mainly... as the yellow top was designed for devices that use much more drain and where a full recharge is unattainable most times...... the alternator on a truck should be able to keep the starting battery all up to full charge all the time... the yellow top is mainly for high drain devices when the vehicle is off....
Very close. They are VERY different types of batteries. The red top is a "starting" battery, suitable for most normal automotive uses. The yellow top is a "deep cycle" battery, designed to be flattened and recharged.

The red top does not like to be drained way down, in fact it kills it. A red top is best for applications where it will be used for starting a rig and running normal accessories, but will then be charged up during driving. It will die if it is discharged and recharged regularly, but will live a long life when it is kept mostly charged most of the time.

The yellow top likes to be deeply drained and recharged. It does not like to be "floated" or kept charged all the time. That will kill it. A yellow top is best in applications where it is likely to be deeply discharged, then fully recharged, such as during heavy winching or with high draw accessories like monster stereos or lots of lighting. The more deeply discharged it is, the happier it is.

The batteries are NOT interchangeable and you should get the correct one for your application. For daily drivers with little heavy use, the red top is a better choice. If you regularly find yourself with a flat battery from the accessories you run, the yellow top is a better choice.

If you choose the wrong one or don't use it the way it's supposed to be used, you will greatly shorten it's lifespan and will wonder what all the hype about how great the Optima's are is about
Old 07-27-2004, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

Rob, great explination.

Odyssey Batteries claim to be the best of worlds, starting and deep cycle. http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

Originally Posted by Odyssey Website
Odyssey combines in one box the characteristics of two batteries. It can deep cycle as well as provide serious cranking power. These batteries are capable of providing engine cranking pulses of 1700a for 5 sec as well as 400 charge/discharge cycles to 100% depth of discharge (DOD). A typical battery can do one or the other, but not both. With other batteries such as Optima, you must decide between a deep cycle or a high power starting battery, but Odyssey does both.

Last edited by RTdawgs; 07-27-2004 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

WATRD great posting. I cant decide between the yellow and blue either. I really like the terminals on the blue. Im pretty sure deep cycle is what I need. I draw a lot of juice in the trunk plus lights. I still have my factory battery and I think its dieing because last night the battery light kept flashing but my alt was still putting out 14.85V.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dbikeman
WATRD great posting. I cant decide between the yellow and blue either. I really like the terminals on the blue. Im pretty sure deep cycle is what I need. I draw a lot of juice in the trunk plus lights. I still have my factory battery and I think its dieing because last night the battery light kept flashing but my alt was still putting out 14.85V.
I found this info http://www.dcbattery.com/optima_blue.html Optima makes a blue starting battery as well as a deep cycle battery.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the Blue top starting/charging battery at my local Sam's for about 108 bucks. Optima sent me the spacer for free + a bunch of stickers and caps for the extra terminals on the blue top.

I have had the battery for a couple of months now and I love it. I can run the stereo for hours and the battery hardly shows a drain and the engine fires right up.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:42 AM

I got blue too. The only hard part was extending the stock battery cables to acomadate the battery
Old 07-27-2004, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Cebby, which model # blue did you get? Those extra posts would sure be nice, my battery terminals look like an outlet next to a Christmas tree. Also what is the difference between the blue and yellow? I'm pretty sure I want a deep cycle because of my winch, extra audio amps, cb radio, alarm system and on board air compressor. Plus I might add some extra lights someday.
I got the deep cycle one (D34M). I don't remember there being a separate starting battery when I got mine, or I'd have gone that route. When I got mine it was touted as RV and Marine. Boats and RV's get started, right?

I'm installing OBA, a winch, moderate stereo, and more lights and wanted the extra capacity. Now that there is a blue starting, I'll probably go with a dual setup and get a blue starting one for under the hood.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/produ...rine/index.asp