Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

opinions on stanley tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
opinions on stanley tools

anyone have first hand experience with them? i've heard they are an affiliate of MAC tools. true? I'm looking at buying a set. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say depending on what you use, they are fair.. I have quite a few.. In fact, I did a lot of work with them when I did my motor (my only metric stubby wrenches) I do not like their screw drivers.. I say go with S&K for those, But wrenches are pretty decent, sockets are good, pliers are good.. If you are just using them for home, and not daily.. I say go for it. Heck, the cost is decent enough to make them worth it. I have also got a 1/4" socket drive deep set I use all the time, and have yet to break one.. I am looking at a nice 3/8" torx set for $20 at Wally workd for my friggin Jeep, stupid Torx bolts :pat:
Old 01-25-2004, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

not sure I have craftsman ,matco and snapon
Old 01-25-2004, 10:52 PM

stanley is SO-SO......... if you want great stuff.... check out snapon for ratchets!!
Old 01-25-2004, 11:11 PM

My experience with Stanley has been "so so," I have a set of their sockets and a ratchet, the ratchet is nice and sturdy, but I killed a 10mm socket (little stub sheared right off!) and a 9mm socket so far. When I go to PennTech I will be picking up a full set of Snap-On tools (sweet sweet grant money)
Old 01-26-2004, 02:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by paxam
not sure I have craftsman ,matco and snapon
Same here.....you can't go wrong with those names.
......I esp love the snap-on's!
Old 01-26-2004, 09:47 AM

Stanley is OK for the price. I just got a set of their metric reversable-ratcheting box type wrenches at Wal-Mart for $10. Can't beat the price and they seem to be made well. I'll see how they hold up.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
for the most part, ive never had any problems w/ any tools except for the brand that they carry at my local autozone. craftsman is my favorite b/c of the bang for the buck. however, i only buy their handtools and most if not all of my power tools are porter cable.

bob
Old 01-26-2004, 10:15 AM

Yea. Im all for craftsman tools. Affordable, lifetime guarantee. Snap-on is really nice stuff but pretty expensive. Most guys cant afford it.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:20 PM

stanley is owned by proto, or vise versa.

they make good tape measures and screwdrivers.

for the best rachets go for snap on, or for a good close quarters tool, use a FACOM rachet.

Last edited by Eric; 01-26-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:40 PM

for cordless power tools makita is the best.... corded go craftsman maybe cuz i heard they have lifetime warranty... we dont sell them where i work so i am not sure on that...... but sears does porter cable is ok, bosch is good....

hand tools.... like i said earlier...... Snap on is absoloute best!
Old 01-26-2004, 06:09 PM

I bought a set of Stanley tools at walmart about a year ago. For $50 i got what I thought would be a good emergency set of tools. I totally underestimately them. Rather than lug out many toolboxes with assorted tools to do a job, I just grab that set and go. I have installed alternators, exhaust gaskets, car stereos.. pretty much anything... would definately buy again...
Old 01-26-2004, 06:59 PM

ill be crazy and go against the grain on this snap-on thing. they do make awesome tools, i have a few and i'd love to have a lot more! however, if craftsman makes the same thing ill always go to sears. i think craftsman makes excellent tools and i think they have a better warranty than snap-on.
you say, "but how, they both have a lifetime warranty right?"
yes they do but depending on your snap-on guy, it could be a PITA to get tools exchanged. i've had a few tools that certain snap-on guys wouldn't replace because they say the damage was caused my "misuse." well the pimpled face teenager working at sears sure doesn't give a hoot if i use my screw driver as a pry bar and has no problem exchanging it for me. therefore, i go craftsman if i can.

back to the topic. i don't know about stanley except i loved a certain pair of wire strippers they had and i can't find em anymore.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

I have a 195 piece socket/ratchet set from Husky and these things are TOUGH! I used all my strength on this thing and all it did was take it and kept on laughin...and I'm a pretty big guy.

I have a few stanley screwdrivers and they're OK...Craftsman is my favorite though, cheap and lifetime warranty!

Fink
Old 01-26-2004, 08:07 PM

You want craftsman tools for cheap? Go to pawn shops. There are always broken sockets, ratchets, snipes for cheap because they are broken. Sears will give you brand new ones no questions asked.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by zedex
You want craftsman tools for cheap? Go to pawn shops. There are always broken sockets, ratchets, snipes for cheap because they are broken. Sears will give you brand new ones no questions asked.
That's a pretty good idea. The next time I need more tools, I'll be off to the pawn shop.

I've got a set of Craftsmen tools and they are great. I do have a Stanley breaker bar but have yet to use it. I personally have never used their tools but they don't look too bad IMO. I think they have a lifetime warranty too but I'm sure they aren't as easy to replace.

Now that I think about it, I don't think they are all that much cheaper compared to Craftsmen. I was in wally world today and they had a 151 piece set for $127. You could go Craftsmen for that price and you would know for sure that you have better tools.

After thinking about my last point, I'm going to suggest that you just save your money and buy the Craftsmen tools. You won't be disappointed.

Old 04-09-2004, 02:29 PM

Here's my 2 cents...
My brother was a Toyota mechanic. So I grew up with Snap On tools. I am not a mechanic but I own SNap On tools for fastener type work. So screwdrivers, wrenches, sockets and ratchets I invested in Snap On. For less precise impact type tool work like Hammers, chisels, and punches I went with Craftsman. Prybars I could've went with craftsman or others but got a great deal on ebay for a Snap On set. I still have the first set of tools I ever bought when I was youger - a set of Metrich tools.
All in all, there is no beating the quality of the Snap On tools, but depending on the application, there is definitely someting to be said about the other brands and bang for the buck.
I'm in 'tool-topic' mode since I just landed a great deal for a Snap On toolbox for my garage.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Craftmen has a couple of tool sets on sale through saterday .. about 1/2 price... can't beat that. I thik the 96 piece set is around $50. I got my 122 piece set a few weeks ago for $80. So this is a pretty good deal.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dad had Stanley screwdrivers when I was growing up. They were junk.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:28 PM

as a heavy duty truck and lihgt wheeled tech. I use mostly craftsman,due to the fact if i brake anything i don't have to wait for the tool man to come to me once or twice a week,i goto sears and trade it in that day,especially if it is a real common tool whth the big dollor names i used to keep two on hand ,dont get me wrong i have mac and S-O, but mainly specialty tools. only my 2cents.

Quick Reply: opinions on stanley tools