Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Opinions on new 4Runners

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on new 4Runners

Are these new 4runners worth a crap ? I was thinking about getting one but as I look closer, they appear to be made for the suburban women (Like most SUV's). The clearance looks to be not good compared to older models, Do they make lift kits for them ? Not really sure I would want to take these newer trucks out fishing or hunting. Any thoughts ?
Old 04-12-2003, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Dondo7:

The new 03 4runner's are just as capable as the all the previous gen 4runners. There has been a wealth of threads on the information regarding the new 03 4runners on its offroad capabilities. Check out the "search" feature to fine information as it's been well covered on this board as well as other abords such as 4x4wire.com

Lift kits: currently there are no lifts available for the new 03's. I know the Daystar has made a prototype lift kit but that's not for sale let. Expect those to be for sale within the next few weeks. I am currently working with both Downey offroad and King Shocks on their full suspension. Hopefully those R&D team will be done soon so a full suspsension setup will be available soon.

Here are some vids and pix of the new 03 4runner. check out the links for details:

http://www.4x4wire.com/cgi-bin/ultim...;f=13;t=016545
http://community.webshots.com/user/good_times

Currently, I think I am the only 03 4runner owner that has taken their own vehicle out on the trails. The video of the red 4runner was a rental loaner that they just took out so not sure if that counts. From personal experience I have to say that the new 4runners are sweet! Indeed the height has some issues but I have gotten thru some hard spots without any issues while other mod'd yota's struggled to go thru. I guess the new technology does make some diff! Anyway, don't forget it's 90% driver skill and 10% vehicle so...

hope this'll drive ya in the right direction!

Lance
Old 04-12-2003, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

IMO, i think the new runners are sweet. the red 4runner good times is talking about handled the trail like nobodies business. it was truely a site to see in person. im glad there are videos because im not sure people would believe me or the people that were with us. the completely stock 03 did some stuff lifted tacos and older gen. runners couldnt, or didnt even want to attempt. it was truely a sight to see.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll so some searches on this site..I was just being lazy. I really need to get in to a dealer and take a close look and a drive.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:13 AM

Re: Opinions on new 4Runners

Originally posted by Dondo7
Are these new 4runners worth a crap ? I was thinking about getting one but as I look closer, they appear to be made for the suburban women (Like most SUV's). The clearance looks to be not good compared to older models, Do they make lift kits for them ? Not really sure I would want to take these newer trucks out fishing or hunting. Any thoughts ?

Looks are decieving. I would guess the new 4Runner is better (stock) offroad than any new SUV within 10k of it's price (either direction) And the main thing is toyota quality, reliability, and engineering.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:14 PM

i love mine and would not trade it for anything except for maybe two. I wish i had a silver and black one that would be cool . HEHE Chris
Old 04-12-2003, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by impulsebrklyn
i love mine and would not trade it for anything except for maybe two. I wish i had a silver and black one that would be cool . HEHE Chris
Old 04-12-2003, 12:28 PM

IMO you should look for a 02 rather than an 03 I never buy a vehicle in the first year of production...you are just askin for fit ad finish problems.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Personally, I'm not down with the styling, I like the look of the 2nd and 3rd gererations better. Too much cladding on the fenders. Just my opinion, don't hit me.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:43 PM

I really like the 03's. I have a 98 Black SR5 now and I like mine, but the 03's ride much better and the V8 rules. That's way I am trading mine in for a 03. I like the rear of the 98 better than the 03 though.

I have to agree with impulsebrklyn, silver and black would definately be sweet, but I will settle with black. Black looks great, but I will tell ya, I totally forgot about the yellow pollen crap in the spring time. Mine's looks like a dirty yellow 4Runner now

Scott
Old 04-12-2003, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by impulsebrklyn
I am totally satisfied with mine in every way, including fit and finish. That is one of the most impressive aspects of the truck, along with the X-REAS suspension, and the ability to pull my Jet Ski through beach sand with no problem.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by FUGGRWE
Too much cladding on the fenders. Just my opinion, don't hit me.
I've actually grown to like the cladding. (My opinion, so no flaming...)

We washed the 4Runner today after a trip last week of about 1,000 miles. The front was covered with bugs -- typical of driving in the south during the spring. Well, the bugs came off the cladding with no effort at all -- even when I've had vehicles with a great wax job on them, they've never cleaned off so easily.

And, I don't have to worry about some moron -- and they are everywhere -- banging the fender with their door, because the cladding is great protection. Good Times has some firsthand experience with the cladding offroad, too.

As far as toughness goes, I haven't taken it offroad yet. But, while we were in Dallas last week, we got caught in 2 hailstorms. Fortunately, a friend allowed us to use their garage after the second one really got going -- but the truck took golf-ball-sized hail in 80 mph winds without a dent. I was impressed (and relieved ) -- our Camry would have been beaten to an ugly pulp.
Old 04-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We washed the 4Runner today after a trip last week of about 1,000 miles. The front was covered with bugs -- typical of driving in the south during the spring. Well, the bugs came off the cladding with no effort at all -- even when I've had vehicles with a great wax job on them, they've never cleaned off so easily.
Hmmm....

Teflon Runners?
Old 04-12-2003, 06:51 PM

It would be about the perfect truck I think if it didn't have cladding, about 2 more inches of ground clearance stock, and keep the current 4wd but throw in an off switch for the mud.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

The '03 I test drove was the smoothest, quietest ride I've had in a 4Runner. Lots of power too (as if a 2nd gen owner knows anything about power).
Old 04-12-2003, 07:13 PM

My truck has 2 advantages over the new 4runner. Its paid for and if I dent it or break something and I don't have to buy flowers for the spousal unit before I break the bad news if I do screw something up.

Last edited by Victor; 04-12-2003 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:59 PM

Smile Love my 03 Limited

I just finished up a lease on a 99 4Runner Limited and have now leased a 03 4Runner V8 Limited loaded with all the "toys" except Nav as it is not available in Canada yet.
Yes I would like the vehicle to have as much ground clearance as the old one BUT there is just no comparison. The 03 is fantastic. The V8 is silky smooth, drivetrain just great, lots of power, does not ride like a truck, don't need to get a car based SUV with a ride like this, loaded with all the latest anti lock/skid controls that will ever be needed, nice sound system(great no but no complaints), the normal Toyota quality finish inside and out, lots more room and many other things I cannot think of. I have only had the vehicle for a week but I I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Need I say more????
Old 04-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

I'm not fond of the design but when i saw it play in the dirt in person, i was very impressed!!
Old 04-12-2003, 11:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hopefully within the next year they'll make a manual transmission optional
Old 04-13-2003, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

hopefully within the next year they'll make a manual transmission optional
Amen to that. Maybe if all of us contact Toy and express our displeasure. Ask them for a diesel while your at it.

Quick Reply: Opinions on new 4Runners