Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Opinions on my Maintanance Decision?

Old 03-14-2008, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on my Maintanance Decision?

So I Own a 2001 4x4 Taco ext cab with about 76,000 miles on it. I bought it around 62,000 miles and it purred like a kitten when i first got it. It still runs pretty good, but i had decided to spend a good deal of my Tax refund on getting a somewhat of a tuneup and overall inspection at the local toyota dealership. Heres what im doing

Oil cange w/ synthetic(i usually do this every 3-4thousand anyway
transmission flush and refill
radiator coolant flush
Front and rear differential fluid change
New spark plugs-im still on the original.

Its prolly gonna cost me a little more than 5 and a half to get it done, its actuallu being done now. I know im probably early on the plugs and tranny flush, but for all of you that have a lot of yota experience, what are your opinions on what im having done, is it good, bad, too soon, too much? Like I said I know im early on some of this but i want to keep her purring like new!
Thanks! Ill post some pics when its back!
Old 03-14-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds fine to me. Preventative maintenance is a good thing. It really does reduce the likelyhood of breakdowns. What you are doing seems reasonable and should give you a certain degree of peace of mind.

That being said, I have seen guys spend more on preventative maintenance than they would have spent just letting it all go and doing breakdown maintenance. In my opinion, it is entirely possible to do too much PM. People will certainly argue this point with me, but really it boils down to the individual and what sense of security they are comfortable with.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:13 PM

I agree with zlathim, there certainly is a point at which there is just too much PM. You really need to know the history of your truck and common problems with similar vehicles to get an idea where to draw the line..

Looks good to me what you did though IMO.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by slayenemy
So I Own a 2001 4x4 Taco ext cab with about 76,000 miles on it. I bought it around 62,000 miles and it purred like a kitten when i first got it. It still runs pretty good, but i had decided to spend a good deal of my Tax refund on getting a somewhat of a tuneup and overall inspection at the local toyota dealership. Heres what im doing

Oil cange w/ synthetic(i usually do this every 3-4thousand anyway
transmission flush and refill
radiator coolant flush
Front and rear differential fluid change
New spark plugs-im still on the original.

Its prolly gonna cost me a little more than 5 and a half to get it done, its actuallu being done now. I know im probably early on the plugs and tranny flush, but for all of you that have a lot of yota experience, what are your opinions on what im having done, is it good, bad, too soon, too much? Like I said I know im early on some of this but i want to keep her purring like new!
Thanks! Ill post some pics when its back!
Don't forget the timing belt and water pump inspection.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
500+ bones sounds pretty steep for new fluids and plugs. You could do it yourself for $100 or under I would guess. But hey it's your money.

Rob
Old 03-14-2008, 01:50 PM

Preventative maintenance also helps to prevent having to pay exorbitant repairs in the middle of nowhere (that can't easily be fixed). To each their own. But I look at it from an expedition vehicle standpoint.

Slayenemy you are doing the right thing, and what rdharper says X2. Continue doing your basic maintenance and crawl under your vehicle to check things out every once and a while, and your Taco should last a very, very long time (sans abuse).

Cheers, good luck, and welcome to YT.