Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Opinion Please: Stock 85 Runner to Daily Driver / Snow Climber

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinion Please: Stock 85 Runner to Daily Driver / Snow Climber

Picked up (oh that's bad..) an '85, 22REC, Auto, all stock Runner.

I drive 80+MPH to/from work down I-25

I live on a 2 mile dirt road (I plow) with steep grades in the Colorado foothills.

Problem: Coming home from work I can find 15+ inches of snow all UP HILL and steep.

Need: I want to mod truck to best serve DD and snow climbing. What would you advice???? My initial thoughts are:

- Selectable rear locker
- 2-3" Suspension lift (or 2" susp / 1" body)
- 32"x8.5" Deep tread / sipped / soft rubber / studded snows on 16" rims
- 4 chains (duh...) Ladder rears / diamond fronts (maybe logging chains with spikes)
- 160# of sandbags in rear
- Modified "fuller cover" skid plate - "like a sled", push down the snow...
- 2" recvrs front and rear for winch
- That contraption you can stick in snow/dirt to winch from.
- Small / high lift front plow (winch/drive backwards, plow down, ...)
(I normally plow with a suburban - toy is just in case / backup / small snows..)

THANKS!

:bounce2:
Old 10-19-2005, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

You have the right ideas...Once you start moding your toyota, You won't be able to stop.
Hows the engine? Is the tranny O.K? 4WD in good shape? Ever own one of these before?
(Get ready to empty your wallet)
Anybody else?
I don't do much snow driving here in Orygun.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FCRunner
- Modified "fuller cover" skid plate - "like a sled", push down the snow...
my stock skid plate works as a pretty good sled for me... hit a snow drift at about 30mph and the truck just rode up on top of it... which means the tires ain't on the ground... which means a lot of diggin wit a ice scrapper if ur 2 dumb to take a shovel maybe the lift should be first that would really help in deep snow. or a E locker.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lt. Dan
You have the right ideas...Once you start moding your toyota, You won't be able to stop.
Hows the engine? Is the tranny O.K? 4WD in good shape? Ever own one of these before?
(Get ready to empty your wallet)
Anybody else?
I don't do much snow driving here in Orygun.
Engine is good for 190K, no leaks, tiny bit of smoke, idles rough - keep turning up idle but still wants to stall out sometimes.

4WD is another story - could not get in low range first month, now it goes in maybe 75% of the time - changed ATF and going to get a dealer flush - I think some valve bodies, etc. are sticky.

AT is there - slips from low to 2nd when cold going down hill, and is making more and more of a whinning noise.

I actually like the AT for hill-holding - I've stopped on some very steep hills and can keep going up - could never do that on a manual.

This is my 3rd 1st gen, also have an 87 pu, and a 93 dog runner.

E-locker - assuming you mean a salvaged/purchased locking OEM toy rear? Or something else?

How do you like your 4" on the highway?

Thanks for the reply!

Pat
Old 10-20-2005, 04:26 AM

Good point! Bigger skid means more surface area to sit on top of snow - that is not really what I want - been there before, 4 chains, none of them hitting dirt - kinda interesting to stand outside the truck watching them turn
Old 10-20-2005, 05:34 AM

my stock 87 4runner (worn auto) was the best vechical I have ever had in the snow. I blasted through 1-2.5 feet of pouder and my driveway was plowed in (had to be alteast 3-4 feet at the begaining)
Attached Thumbnails Opinion Please: Stock 85 Runner to Daily Driver / Snow Climber-img_0134-small-.jpg   Opinion Please: Stock 85 Runner to Daily Driver / Snow Climber-img_0130-small-.jpg   Opinion Please: Stock 85 Runner to Daily Driver / Snow Climber-img_0135-small-.jpg  

Last edited by mkmarz; 10-20-2005 at 05:40 AM.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:24 AM

I think what would make the biggest difference would be good mud tires, and front and rear ARB's. That way you can lock both ends instead of just one. Also if you don't go to bigger tires, then you won't lose any power or gas milage.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FCRunner

How do you like your 4" on the highway?

Thanks for the reply!

Pat

I just got back from a little jaunt to portland and back, average speed 70 - 75 MPH. No problems (except the usual IDIOTS on the road). I usually keep the ECU in NORM mode on the freeways, but the pedal is usually mashed to the floor on the bigger hills.
She just keeps rollin'!
Old 10-21-2005, 03:22 AM

What kind of lift did you do? Does the flowmaster help?
Old 10-21-2005, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

The lift is a kit I got from our local Les Shwab, where I also got the tires. It says 'Tuff Country' on the the sticker. Pretty much a bolt on job.
I was going to go with a stock muffler, but for $30.00 more, I got the better quality one. Considering my entire exhaust system was all original and all ˟˟˟˟˟..er... I mean..Shot, I noticed a DRAMATIC improvement.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:09 AM

I noticed a huge difference when going with mud tires in deep snow!I live in Lake Tahoe and it gets deep.I am having some 4.88's put in this week so that will help much more.With a header and a flowmaster it gained quite a bit more grunt so that also helped.I can't wait for the snow this year and see how it does.I am going to put in new springs and bj spacers too for more clearance.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to plow and go into the bush in deep snow like you are talking about. I had an 85 pickup with the 5 speed. the only thing that ever caught me was clearance with the plow on. I would get hung up on the front plow mount and my front tires would be off the ground. Your truck will get through the snoe no problem. The only tink I would be worroed about is not getting high centered. As long as you have good winter tires that can throw the snow then you will be OK.

Matt