Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Open CV Boot, Care For Long Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open CV Boot, Care For Long Road Trip

I've got a CV boot (Left Front) that is open (near the top, the bottom of the boot is still connected) and I can see the axle inside, with some grease.

I want to drive 1500+ miles on this. I have a recent oil change with sythetic oil and a Toyota oil filter.

I haven't had any problems with it so far, I hear just wait until you hear a bad noise, then replace the whole axle. Cleaning it out and rebuilding is just a stop gap measure, and it costs about as much as replacing the whole axle. I hear never to shift to 4x4, because it will use that axle and could seize or whatever.

I want to lube it up with grease from the Toyota dealer (what kind and how? Is there a write-up) and go 1500+ miles on it. I need to make this trip without any problems. I at least want to spray the gears / axle with something, or apply some grease.

Any suggestions?

1993 Toyota 4runner, V6, Auto, All Sythetic Fluids (AMSOIL), BFG 32"s, Engine with only 50K on her.

Please email solution to alohatiger121@hotmail.com
Old 08-25-2003, 03:39 PM

Open CV Boot Near the Salty Ocean

I lived in Hawaii a while (with my '85 Yota 4runner, yes, straight-axle, baby!) and I know the ocean air can eat metal like a child eats candy.

Would storing my 1993 4R near the sea accelerate the damage to my exposed axle even more? I would think so. Hmm, how to protect against this economically ...

If so, how far inland (guesstimation, please) would I have to store it to keep it away? Just some opinions please, thanks!
Old 08-25-2003, 04:06 PM

Well I recently experienced a torn cv boot this summer. I was installing my discos and realized it was torn. So I couldn't tell you how long it was torn for. But I believe it was the same tear you have now. So I took it to the dealer and they replaced the boot, I was very worried about the axle so I had them check the joints and everything and they said it was fine. So....245 bucks later, everything was fixed.

HOWEVER - After reading everybody's response, I believe the best way to go about this situation is to just pull out the axle and replace the whole thing. Heard it was a lot easier, you should be able to go to a automotive store and get an axle and boots, and then replace it and return your core to them or somethin to that affect. I'm not sure about the 4wd thing, you're probably correct on that. But it's best that you get it fixed asap.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:20 AM

I would go to Midas and have your CV boot done there. My brother just had both CV boots done at Midas and it was only $260 bucks for both right and left CV boots, it also came with a 1-year warranty. The Toyota dealer wanted $240 + for only one CV boot replaced.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:24 AM

Just a hint, sometimes it's cheaper to buy a remanufactured half-shaft than it is to pay to have a stealer replace the boots on your existing shaft.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:25 AM

$80 w/ $40 core at autozone with warrenty takes 1 hour. You can also get replacement boots for aroun $20. pack them full of greece and put them on. Drive only if you want to replace your CVs Replace the boot today if you want to save the axle. I would only drive if you have man. hubs. Don't make yourself repair something that is still good.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:38 AM

dont go to dealer/dont go to midas or whoever else

my brother hyperlite has replaced atleast 4 probally 6 axles

if just the boots are over $200 you might as well replace the whole axle. ~$80 after returned core.

maybe hyperlite should do a tech writeup on axel replacement (hint - hint)

i would say just remove the axle and DONT put it in 4wd but if you are gonna take it apart to take out the bad one you might as well just pop the new one in -- takes less than an hour -- hyperlite could probally change one in less than 30 min on the trail

good luck
Old 08-26-2003, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do yourself a favor and just change the whole axle....much better peace of mind that way.
Breaking down on a long trip really sucks......and the garage you end up at will make you pay bigtime!
Old 08-26-2003, 08:13 AM

If you have manual hubs to keep the shaft from turning here is a temp fix. Get one of those CV boots that are split and screw together. You don't have to remove anything but the old boot. This is only a temp fix to keep crap from getting in the joint.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by Highland Runner
Get one of those CV boots that are split and screw together.
Cheaper temp fix and just as good, DUCT TAPE! handyman's secret weapon...
Old 08-26-2003, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Shane
Cheaper temp fix and just as good, DUCT TAPE! handyman's secret weapon...
How would you duct tape a CV boot covered with grease?

I am not sure what to say about your avitar. Kinda funny though!

(I dont like cat's much anyway)
Old 08-26-2003, 09:03 AM

But you can fix anything with duct tape... hint: wipe the grease off the outside first...

I ain't got nothing against cats either, got 3 of them... it's an avatar, not a lifestyle.

Last edited by Shane; 08-26-2003 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

Looks familiar:

Jruz's Avitar...

Old 08-26-2003, 09:09 AM

...here kitty kitty...

BTW, shh! don't draw attention, I'm waiting for jruz's reaction...

Last edited by Shane; 08-26-2003 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

Dang, so used to looking at just the avatars and not the name I didn't realize that these are 2 different guys
Old 08-26-2003, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Open CV Boot Near the Salty Ocean

Originally posted by alohatiger
I lived in Hawaii a while (with my '85 Yota 4runner, yes, straight-axle, baby!) and I know the ocean air can eat metal like a child eats candy.
From what I know, salt does not evaporate with water. The only metal that will rust near a beach is the metal you drive through the ocean.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

I would personally get it fixed with either a new boot or a new axle. The last thing you want to do is break down in the middle of nowhere!! 1,500 miles isn't a whole lot of miles, but its better to be safe than sorry!!
Old 08-26-2003, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

Don't let the Stealership touch your truck, do it yourslf. Get theaxel at Autozone, get the boots from Toyota($30 tops) the do the thing on your own, like Hperlite said, it's easy, quick, and a hell of alot cheaper then the dealer. A dealer wants about 30 or so for just the axel plus all the time to do it. No thanks if you ask me, plus you get the cofidence and knoledge of doingyour own work.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:08 AM

Actually salt in the air is a big problem on the coast. When I lived in FL I washed my car 2-3 times a week to remove salt. (Yes I tasted the white powder; it was salt.) That was parked behind a 10 story condo blocking the ocean. The salt only covered the exterior though. If the car is in a garage it is not a problem. The salt in the air was so bad that the aluminum windows were corroded. The concrete porch decks had to be replaced every10-15 years because the rebar 3" inside would rust from the salt.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Highland Runner
Actually salt in the air is a big problem on the coast.
just for an example, turn over a salt shaker. Does gravity pull the salt down? Or, does it float out into the atmosphere? While I don't doubt that driving on roads that boats and ocean going vessels were towed on have dripped salt water to splash up on your vehicle. Salt molecules are to heavy to fly around in the air.

Quick Reply: Open CV Boot, Care For Long Road Trip