Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Onboard digital compass

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Onboard digital compass

I just picked up a cool little device for my 4Runner. It is a Wayfinder digital compass by PNI Sensors. This is the same company that makes compass systems for GM, Ford, Crysler and a couple of other manufacturers.

You can find more info here

Wayfinder

I like this unit as my GPS only displays compass info if you are moving. It also displays temperature using a small sensor, but I haven't run that behind the fender yet.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:59 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Mack, that's right up the alley for what I've been looking for. I did notice that the battery only lasts up to 1200 hours W/O using the backlight. That would be 50 days of continuos use or 400 days at 3 hours use per day ( the average time I spend per day driving), again, with NO use of the backlight. Through in the backlight and that could effectively cut that in half.

Changing the battery about once every 6-7 months isn't that significant, but are there any similiar units that anyone knows of that are vehicle powered?
Old 03-09-2003, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Hey, that's really neat. I've been wanting something like that for a long time too. Does the face look sorta like an indiglo blue or green color? I really like this model also:

http://www.pnicorp.com/wayfinder-dig...r%20v7000.html

It has the altimeter and weather info too. It's another $45 more though (if I did my math correctly )

Rick F., It appears that those things come with a 12v power adapter included. Pretty sweet.

Thanks for sharing the info with us Mack. I may just get one of these.

Well, have fun all.
DH6twinotter

Last edited by DH6twinotter; 03-09-2003 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:42 AM

If they'd had that weather one at Costco I would have picked it up but this one should do quite well. With the included adapter it only runs for about 10 minutes on battery after I shut down so the battery should last a good long time. The display is not so bright that it distracts but is easilly bright enough to read.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:58 AM

Wow! That is really really cool. I have been looking for something similar, I may have to look into that. It does come with a 12-volt adapter, so you should be able to hard-wire it to your rig. A great idea, because my GPS does not work either as a compass unless you are moving around. Mack, how big is that unit, the screen I mean? Thanks. :fireman:
Old 03-10-2003, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

ERRRRR!!!!

Be careful with those.
I purchased the same unit back in '99. I was getting ready for our long trip around Idaho.
So i installed it in my 4runner and the first day i had problems with the compass part.
So when i got home i had to re-calibrate it.
To calibrate it you must drive in a circle several times.

So the next day going to work i had the same problem.
I called the company and they sent me a new one in a couple of days.
It did the same thing. So they sent me another one. Now i have three of these units.

Sure enough it does the same thing.
So i got to talking with PNI's tech's and i find out that you can't go over any bridges, go under any overpasses or be near anything that has alot of metal :pat:

Each time you go over a bridge or overpass it resets the compass back to its default.
Here in Washington State we have alot of bridges and overpasses.
I eneded up talking to the tech into giving me my money back. Thats when i purchased my Garmin E-trex.

So be careful with that compass.
If you do not go near any metal its a nice unit.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:04 AM

I really want one with a clock included, on my 03 Tacoma the in dash clock is hidden behind the wiper stalk and it really bugs me. Anybody seen a nice compass like these with a clock?

Last edited by Icepick; 03-10-2003 at 03:43 PM.