Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OME suspension help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OME suspension help!!!

I had heard from a friend that this board is the best around and from what I have read from the posts already......I believe him!

Anyway I need some help choosing some components for my 4Runner especially to fix the darn a$$ dragging which will soon lead to me going NUTS if I don't get it fixed soon. I am sure I don't need to explain the problem here but I need to get my wheelie machine ASAP!

After reading the posts I have decided to go with the OME suspension kit (ie shocks and springs) but I am caught between the medium and heavy spings and the comfort vs heavy duty shocks. One thing to keep in mind is that my wife drives the car too so if the ride is really that harsh then I think the heavy duty versions are out.....she will likely complain til I change em out. The truck is pretty much a bone stock 1996 SR5 4Runner with 4X4 and only one mod to date (deckplate...what a HUGE difference that made!). Anyway I am looking to find out about how much lift I will get with each spring version 891 vs 890 (just an average here....I realize it will vary by truck) and which shock to use with which spring and finally which you recommend overall. Sad to say I don't do much rock crawling but I do tow my boat quite a bit so want the truck to ride pretty level when fully loaded.

Also what are the best bang for your buck mods for power gains?
I would love to get a S\C but don't have the bucks right now.
I was looking at the ISR mod but I am worried my wife will be compalining of the noise....is it really loud and obnoxious compared to the deckplate mod...she didn't seem to mind that one at all.

Thanks for your help on this!
Old 07-14-2003, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: OME suspension help!!!

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
I had heard from a friend that this board is the best around and from what I have read from the posts already......I believe him!... ...loud and obnoxious compared to the deckplate mod...she didn't seem to mind that one at all.

Thanks for your help on this!
welcome, and my opinion, heavy duty springs and comfort shocks {since the wife drives it}
I have all heavy duty springs and shocks in the rear and my wifes likes driving my runner, and taking it to the trails too.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

I have OME heavy duty shocks front and back, HD coils in the rear and med. duty up front. My wife doesn't mind the ride at all when she's in the passenger seat, but one time she rode in the back seat and man did she complain about the ride.

I agree with Keisur, HD springs/comfort shocks may be your best bet.

And welcome to the forums newbie!
Old 07-14-2003, 10:13 AM

I have HD springs and comfort shocks... my wife thinks it rides too stiff (which it does, imo). The back tends to feel like it's bouncing around, rather than soaking up any of the bumps. If I had it to do over again, and I were concerned with ride quality, I would absolutely NOT go with OME. As it stands, I don't have it to do over again, and I have a lot more to consider besides ride, so I'm reasonably happy with my OME.

I do think it is overhyped though.

Just my 2 pennies.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like everyone is using heavy springs and the comfort shocks.

So if I don't go with OME what would be the best option then?
The sway aways are cool but way too much green for me.....besides....I am saving for that S\C so the runner will finally have some decent acceleration.

I am also concerned about the ISR mod being too noisy.
Any thoughts on that?
Old 07-14-2003, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

What if I use the Medium coils and the comfort shocks?
Are they too soft for loading up the truck?
I would rather ride harsh than sag like I am now....just hate it!
Old 07-14-2003, 10:44 AM

isr mod will only be loud after you reach 2500 rpm. Even then it's not really that loud, but once you get higher and higher it does get louder. Try it out yourself, if your wife doesn't like it, you can always replace it.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:11 AM

This is just my guess (as I have no experience with comfort springs), but I would think that with comfort springs and a full load and/or trailer, you will sag. Under normal driving conditions, you shouldn't sag at all.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:24 AM
Away

I just helped another forum member, Ridgerunner, install his suspension setup last Tuesday. He chose SAW's for the front and the Downey/Bilstein combo for the rear. I have ridden in an OME-equipped truck and the Downey/Bilstein rear is far superior in ride quality to the OME, IMHO. The SAW's are incomparable and amazing.

My .02
Dr. Z

PS Welcome to the forums!
Old 07-14-2003, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Suspension
Has anyone tried the medium duty OME springs and comfort shocks all around?

If I do go with the heavy (891) springs will they improve the overall handling of the truck (on road) due to the stiffer ride? or do the shocks affect the handling more? or both? Need some enlightenment on this subject.

Engine
Does the ISR mod really give you all that much more power for the added noise? Has anyone dynoed it to check?
Old 07-14-2003, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone have the medium springs all around?
If so how do you like them?
Old 07-14-2003, 01:41 PM
ts1
Contributing Member

I have the Med duty springs in the back with the med duty shocks and I love the ride. However, I don't tow a boat or carry a ton of stuff in the back all the time. When I do go on trips with a lot of gear, the setup does fine with no sag at all. Again, you have to judge how you are going to use your truck and you should configure it to the way you are going to use it. If towing a lot, I would go the heavy duty route but occasional towing might be better served with the med duty springs because they give a nice ride.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Cool......that was exactly what I was looking for.
I should be able to use the mediums all around if I don't plan on adding anything to the front like a huge bumper or winch, right? I would say that most of the use will be just commuting (85%) with (10%) roadtrips fully loaded with gear and maybe (5%) towing my boat or my jetskis.

How much lift over stock did you get from the mediums in the rear?

Anyone know if there is a good place I can get the OME's in Canada?
Otherwise I gotta send em to a US address and put em on there so I don't get taxed up the butt coming across the boarder with them.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 07-14-2003 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

I will make some calls for you and see if I can get you an OME distributor in Cananda

Mike
Old 07-14-2003, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

OK my friend...nothing in Montreal, however, there is an ARB distributor in Burlington Ontario. Their website is http://www.national4wd.com contact number 800-575-7500 or 905-634-0001

Hope this helps, if all fails, maybe they will know another shop for you!!

Mike
Old 07-14-2003, 04:36 PM

Anyone have the medium springs all around?
If so how do you like them?
I'm with ts1 on this. I also have OME medium duty springs and comfort shocks and have no complaints about them at all. I've had this setup for around 3 years and no sag at all. My Runner is mainly an onroad commuter and like the ride.

I dont tow stuff that much, but have been on some serious road trips packed to the max and still no sag or complaints.

Like you said if you're not adding a winch or carrying around constant cargo weight the mediums will be fine.

BTW, I got around 3" of lift (keep in mind I'm 2WD)
Old 07-14-2003, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

Guys,

You have been a HUGE help.....THANKS!
I think I will go with the mediums and the comfort shocks if I can get them up here in Canada.

Mike,

I have been told you are the man for parts.....too bad you are all the way back in AZ.....sad to say I just moved from there last fall...I used to live in Chandler, AZ. Decided to do my MBA in a colder climate so if you can help me find someone who sells them up here I would really appreciate it, otherwise it would cost me a small fortune to get them across the boarder (with taxes and all). Only other way is to mark the package gift and make the value on the shipper less than $50. Can't even use UPS cause they tack on all kinds of extra charges too (extra $40 just for being international)....totally sux! Only Fedex or USmail works OK. I found out the hard way with buying stuff on eBay. Need to change this NAFTA crap cause it ain't workin' up here.

Thanks again for all your opinions!

- Jamie
Old 07-14-2003, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Guys,

You have been a HUGE help.....THANKS!
I think I will go with the mediums and the comfort shocks if I can get them up here in Canada.

Mike,

I have been told you are the man for parts.....too bad you are all the way back in AZ.....sad to say I just moved from there last fall...I used to live in Chandler, AZ. Decided to do my MBA in a colder climate so if you can help me find someone who sells them up here I would really appreciate it, otherwise it would cost me a small fortune to get them across the boarder (with taxes and all). Only other way is to mark the package gift and make the value on the shipper less than $50. Can't even use UPS cause they tack on all kinds of extra charges too (extra $40 just for being international)....totally sux! Only Fedex or USmail works OK. I found out the hard way with buying stuff on eBay. Need to change this NAFTA crap cause it ain't workin' up here.

Thanks again for all your opinions!

- Jamie
I would go with the 891's in the rear. my 891's lose about an inch when I load over 100 pounds in the rear. I had my birthday present from my wife in there on sunday and it looked azz-low. I measured with the load in there and then measured after I unloaded it and it raised an inch after unloading. The present was around 100 pounds.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur
The present was around 100 pounds.
OK, I'll bite.....

What was the present?
Old 07-14-2003, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mertztr
OK, I'll bite.....What was the present?
O'm not supposed to know yet, hehe, my bd is wednesday so... Well, she had me go pick it out, it's a Homack Professional Roller Chest and Cabinet. it's about 5.5 feet tall, tons more room than my little craftsman 3 drawer box. now I can clear out some room on my workbench. I asked her to bring her work digital cam home today but she forgot so I couldn't snap a photo, I could use my phone to snap it but it wouldn't turn out real good. But then I am fixin' to order the rest of my presents, haha, a flex-a-lite 210 fan and a yellow top. haha. she's being good to me this year, hehe.

Quick Reply: OME suspension help!!!