Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OME springs, which side?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OME springs, which side?

OK I have done a search and read about 200 threads but I only came up with one with the answer but the answers were different.

I have the OME 900 coils for my 2nd gen 4runner. I got them with no instructions at all. One spring is longer than the other. Which side does the longer spring go on?

Matt
Old 09-09-2005, 07:48 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"6. The springs have white tabs on them with the spring identification, for example OME850 DS. Make sure that you have the both DS and PS springs for both the front and the rear.

7. IMPORTANT. In the US, with left hand drive vehicles, we install the DS springs on the PS and visa versa. The springs are labelled for the right hand drive vehicles. If you can not locate the labels, or you have used springs, make sure you mark the springs that you remove from your vehicle and match long with the long and the short with the short springs.

Unless the springs are labeled (or printed on the coil) R/H and L/H, then you install them as per the label.

Lately some springs are labeled A and B. A is for Australian driver side, so in the US this should go on the passenger side and B should go on the driver side. "
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_ome.htm

"Coil Springs:
Coils may vary in free height due to uneven vehicle weight distribution. Although these coils are marked D/S for Driver’s Side and P/S for Passenger’s Side, these designations apply to Right Hand Drive Vehicles and may require opposite fitment to left hand drive vehicles. As a general rule, the taller OME coil should be installed on the same side of the vehicle as the taller OE coil."
http://www.drivetrain.com/EMU/emuinstinstr.html
Old 09-09-2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
"6. The springs have white tabs on them with the spring identification, for example OME850 DS. Make sure that you have the both DS and PS springs for both the front and the rear.

7. IMPORTANT. In the US, with left hand drive vehicles, we install the DS springs on the PS and visa versa. The springs are labelled for the right hand drive vehicles. If you can not locate the labels, or you have used springs, make sure you mark the springs that you remove from your vehicle and match long with the long and the short with the short springs.

Unless the springs are labeled (or printed on the coil) R/H and L/H, then you install them as per the label.

Lately some springs are labeled A and B. A is for Australian driver side, so in the US this should go on the passenger side and B should go on the driver side. "
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_ome.htm

"Coil Springs:
Coils may vary in free height due to uneven vehicle weight distribution. Although these coils are marked D/S for Driver’s Side and P/S for Passenger’s Side, these designations apply to Right Hand Drive Vehicles and may require opposite fitment to left hand drive vehicles. As a general rule, the taller OME coil should be installed on the same side of the vehicle as the taller OE coil."
http://www.drivetrain.com/EMU/emuinstinstr.html

When I spoke to my OME distributor who inturn gave me OMEs number said that the sets built for America are labeled with LEFT hand drive in mind.. just FYI. you may want to call to double check but they definitevly told me that.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:10 AM

and the guy said just to double check, make sure the longer spring goes ont he side of your gas tank, and that validated that they were labeled correctly.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyK
and the guy said just to double check, make sure the longer spring goes ont he side of your gas tank, and that validated that they were labeled correctly.
Ditto