Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OME rear install??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OME rear install??

Hey everyone! I've had some Donahoe's and OME 890's sitting around the garage for a few months now, but if all goes well the UPS guy should be bringing the last of the stuff I need from Sonoran Steel later today so I can get this long awaited project finished. I did some searching here and over at ttora, but I didn't come across a decent write up for a rear 3rd gen installation. If someone knows of one please post it up, if not I'll take my digi cam with me and make one for the future.

I did the front suspension on my Tacoma a couple times, so I'm familiar with that, but I do have a couple questions about the rear...

Basically I disconnect the shocks and panhard bar, jack it up from the frame until I can remove the old springs and get the new ones in there. Install the new springs, SS panhard bar, new brake stuff, and shocks, and I'm done?

The coils have A and B on them respectively. Is A d/s and B p/s? Also, the shocks don't have and d/s p/s markings on them that I can find. It mattered on my Tacoma, does it not on a 4runner?

Thanks for any help, I'm really looking forward to getting this animal upgraded
Old 03-06-2007, 02:01 PM

I have a question about the rears,

I just want to replace the rear springs, can i just disconnect the bottom rear shock bolt and remove the springs while jack up? this is the same method i used for cars
Old 03-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

You can, but it is going to require some leverage to force the axle down.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Ozarks,
There is no reason to disconnect the panhard unless you are replacing it.
It the shocks do not have a left and right. Is there a difference in length on the coils? The longer should go on the driver's side due to the extra weight of the gas tank.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Rear is actually pretty simple.

1) Disconnect shocks
2) Disconnect swaybar
3) Disconnect panhard bar (if replacing)

Jack up vehicle from pumpkin, support the frame rails with jack stands. Lower pumpkin down until the springs fall out. Just make sure you keep an eye on your rear brake line. Don't stretch it.

put in the new coils/cones, jack up axle, take out floor jacks, bring back down to ground and replace everything else.

The panhard bar might be easier to put in while in the air so you can orientate the axle easier.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Rear is actually pretty simple.

1) Disconnect shocks
2) Disconnect swaybar
3) Disconnect panhard bar (if replacing)

Jack up vehicle from pumpkin, support the frame rails with jack stands. Lower pumpkin down until the springs fall out. Just make sure you keep an eye on your rear brake line. Don't stretch it.

put in the new coils/cones, jack up axle, take out floor jacks, bring back down to ground and replace everything else.

The panhard bar might be easier to put in while in the air so you can orientate the axle easier.
I just swapped my rear springs (891's to downeys) and this is almost exactly how I did it. I didn't need to disconnect the panhard bar, but the drivers side did need a bit of leverage. Also, disconnect the sway bar at the end links. You'll be fine, it was my first time working on the rear, and I managed to do it in 1.5 hours alone.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:12 PM

Thanks guys! I didn't think to check the length guess the shocks are the same length?... The A is a little longer so it must be the d/s. I am replacing the panhard with an adjustable from SS. I'm also getting an extended brake line and e-brake relocater. I don't think I'll need all that this time around cause I'm just going up to some 275/65 (32's?), but the next set I plan to stick 33's (285's?) on there. Might as well do it right the first time. Sorry, still haven't gotten used to the 16" measurements, I've never had anything other than 15's before
Old 03-06-2007, 09:33 PM

looking forward to the pics
Old 03-07-2007, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Install writeups for you:
http://www.disknet.com/ExideC/suspension_lift.htm
http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/0108suv_level/ (2nd gen, but process is the same)

I am sure there are alot more, but hopefully you can add some pics and a writeup for future reading pleasure.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by terryjmatthew
You can, but it is going to require some leverage to force the axle down.
You can get leverage by using the bottle jack and placing it upside down on the bumpstop and force the axle down. THat's how I did mine, the springs fell right out.

I did not disconnect the panhard bar or sway bars when I replaced my springs. I just left the lower shocks disconnected.

Last edited by saulgoode; 03-07-2007 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

That works too. I just used a piece of tubing about six feet long.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:38 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone! So, I ran to UPS today on my lunch break and they had the rest of my stuff waiting for me. Since I'm never home during delivery hours, they just keep it at the DC . You know you've been spending alot of money and having stuff shipped to you alot when the guys at the ups DC know you by name...lol

Anyhow, the plan is to install everything in the morning and hopefully have some time during the afternoon to try it out a little in the lake bottoms. I plan to take before and after pics of my rig as well as a writeup for the rear install with all the new stuff included. Should be trailworthy soon
Old 03-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

dont forget we like pictures
Old 03-09-2007, 10:48 AM

Hey everyone! After a good part of the day on my back in the driveway the Hoes and OME's are on and damn does it feel nice!
I started to do a writeup for the rear install, but my camera crapped out about the time we were dropping the pumkin...Gota say that removing the rear shocks was the toughest part of the project, what a pain in the ass it was to get those top nuts off! Other than that I think it was pretty strait forward and simple.

I'm at work now, so can't get any pics posted till I get home later tonight, but I promise I will.

I'm plannin to make a dif thread to show the new changes that have happened over the last 10 days...Warn brush guard/winch plate, Wet Okole seat covers front/rear. 15% tint all the way around, new tires/wheels and obviously the new susp. Should have some pics up in the next couple days of all the new fun.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:34 PM

As promised... PICS!!!

Just a before and after. 265x75's. The rear has already dropped about 1/2 an inch from yesterday.

Morning...

Night...
Old 03-09-2007, 06:52 PM

Well, you've convinced me...time for an OME lift. I've been debating on just getting the PP springs but yours looks too good at that height! Other than the shocks how was the install of the coils and stuff?
Old 03-09-2007, 06:53 PM

Oh and what exact specs/setup did you go with?
Old 03-09-2007, 06:55 PM

Sweeet lookin rig!1 looks like you had a little fun testing out the new rear susp!! Like some of the others already said...when I did mine I placed a jack under the rear diff with tires off, desconnected the shocks and used a bottle jack to articulate the other side to get the springs in, viola! Thanks for the pics
Old 03-09-2007, 07:13 PM

Skrillah - I went with the 890's & OME N86C shocks to match. I also got the extended brake line, e-brake relocater bracket, and adjustable panhard bar from Sonoran Steel. All of which were recommended by other members here, and I'm glad I got them. With two people everything but the shocks was relatively easy. And its just the placement of the top nut that makes the shocks any problem really.

Jdizzydub - thanks man! Had to go try em out in the bottoms at some speed LOL! Gota say the combo soaked up the ruff stuff exceptionally well.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:18 PM

I have replaced the rear shocks on mine and it took forever, not to mention a case of beer and some bloody knuckles. Then again the beer could have been half the problem...lol.

The extended brake lines, e-brake, and panhard bar weren't required for the install though right? I mean you could do the lift and not worry about these things?

Quick Reply: OME rear install??