Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ome medium duty kit???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ome medium duty kit???

im about to order the ome medium duty lift for my 4runner, and wanted some experienced input. should i get this lift??? why or why not.. anything better for the same price $650 shipped. not offroaded too much, will be towing a 6x12 trailer with two quads(any rubbing issues with 285's ??. thats about it any experienced info is appreciated.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:03 PM

Some say the OME lift is awesome, some say its a rough ride. As well have a look at the Land Cruiser / Tacoma lift kit, Sonora Steel has a full kit for it, not to far off the price of OME. Then see what you want most for your useage. Lots of input on these lifts on this site have a look around. Cant wait for my lift, im swaying to the SS lift kit over OME.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:06 PM

i checked into the ss lift, but thought it looked a little extreme for daily driving, i might get that lift in a few years when my 4runners paid off and ready for some real wheeling
Old 08-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by carose725
i checked into the ss lift, but thought it looked a little extreme for daily driving, i might get that lift in a few years when my 4runners paid off and ready for some real wheeling
I would do the tundra coils/tacoma tokicos for the front if i were you. From what I hear the front OEM coils are pretty harsh.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:05 PM
JGM

If you will be pulling that trailer a lot, the OME's are good. For daily driving *If you like a cushy ride (not a big deal for me)*, you may find it stiff.

Don't quote me, but I believe you will have clearance issues with only an OME medium lift (up front specifically) with 285's.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:10 PM

will i be able to fit 285's with tundra front coils. or what would be the best lift for me to fit 285's other than the sornan steel lift(a little to extreme for my 2 week old runner).
Old 08-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

You really need to use search, this theme has been beat to death again and again. Some search terms: Tundra Coils Tockico Tacoma Lift OME Springs 890 891 N86 LC Bamachem Spacer Extended Studs

Try mix and matching them and seeing what you get...
Old 08-16-2006, 03:41 PM

i did use the search lots of times but nobody talks about towing with a 4runner too often so i wanted some up to date info. i have read tons of posts about spacers, coil overs, trd springs, etc.... i mainly wanted info on a lift where i can have 285's and be safe to tow with.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:57 PM

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/suspension/

Couple other reviews

HTH
Old 08-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm really not sure why everyone says the OME coils are too stiff (I remember Steve said that once in comparison to the Tundra coils up front), I mean yeah they are a little bit stiffer than stock, but that is a good thing (no more ass sagging and you can actually load the cargo area again) if you are onroad and especially if you're lifting the truck at all (helps a bit with body roll). I have not tried the SS setup, but from what people are saying in comparison to the OMEs, it must ride like a couch. I daily drive with my OMEs and if you team them up with the OME comfort shocks, it is the perfect setup for what I put it through on a regular basis.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 08-17-2006 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sport69

Those are very old.....some stuff in there is still valid though.
.....that was back when SAWs were the cat's meow.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:21 PM

MTL 4runner : id still wouldnt mind seeing your setup sometime. I sent you a pm. And by ride like a couch, is that in a good way or bad?
Old 08-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Carose,
I know the SSF kit is a bit expensive and may seem extreme but that's because it's a compilation of parts that WORK. I've got OME N91s with the Tundra coils and a 3/8 spacer in front and the OME N86 and 891's in the rear with a 1/2" spacer. I've pieced this setup together over the last 3 years. I sure wish I had saved my money on "the latest fad" pieces and got the good stuff right up front. I have more rake in the rear than most but it tows and hauls great. I can stuff the cargo area with gear, and tow a 6X10 trailer with 2 quads and fuel and she sits level. The ride on road is solid and firm and the freeway ride is very secure. You will rub without further lift up front. I have a 1" body lift and still experience rub time to time. Feel free to ask any questions but unless your gonna just get a Daystar spacer lift from ebay for 200.00 I would serously check out SSF setup.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:55 AM

i am not really worried about all the components of the sornan steel lift. its the height in the front you get. from the pics ive seen the front cv's are at some pretty extreme angles even with the diff drop kit. i really want a lift but i want a good quality lift that wont destroy the longevity of my 4runner. has anyone had the ss lift a long time, how do things hold up with it???
Old 08-17-2006, 04:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Arron
MTL 4runner : id still wouldnt mind seeing your setup sometime. I sent you a pm. And by ride like a couch, is that in a good way or bad?
I'd be happy to show you what I have for a setup so far.

You can also see it here in the meantime (I put some new pics at the bottom):
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f79/mtl_4runners-1996-4runner-83136/#post868991

By ride like a couch I just mean super soft, that's not good or bad since this stuff is all personal preference anyway. I mean I think the PP springs and Bilstein shocks are really harsh, but some people on here still swear by that setup. Again, it's all personal opinion.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 08-17-2006 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:43 AM
JGM

I have done both the full OME kit and the SS Tundra etc kit.

The OME kit did NOT offer a lot of lift - about 2" max once it settled. It was a little stiffer and the articulation is mediocre. The front strut from OME is too long for the 4Runner and can lead to CV wear/breakage.

The Tundra kit offers more lift and is a very nice ride - better than stock I think. Especially with larger tires and AM bumpers.

Bottom line is OME is nice stuff for the truck it was designed for. OME did NOT design its stuff for 3rd gen 4Runners.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

I still want an ome setup too, I drive 99% on the roads and get more use out of a little stiffer setup then a soft one for off-road.
My driving style is on the quiker side without slowing down all that much for corners. I have gathered that the stiffer OME setup would do better for me.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by arjan
I still want an ome setup too, I drive 99% on the roads and get more use out of a little stiffer setup then a soft one for off-road.
My driving style is on the quicker side without slowing down all that much for corners. I have gathered that the stiffer OME setup would do better for me.
Arjan, the OME setup will be better but.....
The biggest gain for cornering will definately be to get an Addco sway bar if you are a brisk driver as you say.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

I have had the OME medium setup for almost 3yrs. I take my vehicle offroad quite a bit and regularly tow a 3 rail motorcycle trailer with 3 bikes on it. I would have do disagree with some comments.

While lift results vary mine provided 2.75" lift in the rear and a little over a 2" in the front. Once I added the spacers and drove for a little while it sits level at 2.5" and has stayed as such.

My opinnion of the articulation is much better than "Mediocre" however I have not tried the tundra kit to compare. In my experience the amount of articulation is exceptional and the spring weight and shock length do not hinder travel or compression.

As for the comment about the strut length being too long and causing damage I would like to see some info to back that up. I have found that at full droop with the sway bar connected the CV angles are quite tolerable (this is assuming you add a diff drop). I will say that with the sway bar disconnected the downward travel could become dangerous if at full droop, with the wheel turned under power. I believe this would happen with any lift however if you disconnect the sway bar.

Finally, my opinnion of the ride. It is firm, but from the saggy squishy feeling I got from the stock setup I welcomed the extra firmness. The setup tows well and the springs have not sagged beyond the initial amount.

Now the big question...which lift is best for you. Honestly go with what you feel is best for you. Neither lift will let you down.

These are my opinnions...your results may vary.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Arjan, the OME setup will be better but.....
The biggest gain for cornering will definately be to get an Addco sway bar if you are a brisk driver as you say.
My shocks have about 196000km on them. I think the ome setup by itself would be night & day difference for me
I've calmed down quite a bit with my driving. When I was younger (and fresh from Holland) I had a 5L mustang. My friends are still joking about that time .

I just prefer my 4Runners handling over a couple of inches of flex. Most of the time there is another way around things on the trails anyway.
Glad to hear you enjoy your ome. Just saw the pictures of your vehicle. Looks good, especially with the wheels.