Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OME install & steering issue

Old 10-20-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OME install & steering issue

just finished install: OME N91S & OME 881 / OME N86 & OME 906.

excellent addition! over 1" of additional clearance
cant wait for a full test!!!

i have found a small issue though and didnt see anyone else experience it...
>>> at full lock L or R(worse) it will stay turned rather than straighten out as i procede forward. it will with a small nudge.

havent gone back under, but the first thing i will check is the knuckle stops and adjust if necessary.

anyone experience this after a suspension change?
Old 10-20-2009, 02:13 PM

I'm betting you didn't have a full front end re-alignment done after the install and you have very little positive caster if any.

Caster is the position of the top and bottom ball joints in relation to each other in a vertical axis. You would think you would want them dead lined up in the vertical plane but actually you don't (think tricycle).

When raising a Toyota IFS front end it tends to reduce caster. Caster is seen as positive when the lower ball joint/pivot point of the wheel is in front or "pulling" the upper ball joint. Negative caster is when the lower ball joint is lagging behind the upper one or being "pulled" along by the upper ball joint.

With a tricycle which has zero caster the wheel tends to wander from side to side really easy if you don't hold on it it. The plus zero caster is you can make REALLY tight turns hard turns, but the drawbacks is when the steering wheel/handle bars are let go off the wheel will wander (violently if moving at any kinda a speed) from side to side and not return to center.

Now look at the polar opposite and that being a chopper motorcycle which has a excessive amount of positive caster where the wheels pivot point is almost 45 off the vertical axis. The pro to a massive amount of caster is the steering is very mild mannered and when the handlebars/steering wheel is released it goes back to center quickly with no problem. Now the con to excessive caster is when you try and take a turn with a chopper motorcycle it had a very large turning radius (no sharp turns).

Now worse than zero caster is negative caster. To picture negative caster think of the tricycle only if someone instead of changing the steering axis to push the wheel forward (like a chopper) the push it back UNDER the tricycle.

With negative, zero or too little positive caster, steering becomes touchy at high speed and wheel return ability is diminished when coming out of a turn.

So the answer to this is having a small amount amount of positive caster to make the wheels return to center when the steering wheel is released and give them stability at high speeds. This is why motorcycles have a angled front fork and not a vertical axis like a tricycle. After all you wouldn't want to drive a zero caster (tricycle) at high speed would ya

I never really understood the model of caster till the tech at my Toyota dealership pulled out a little model tricycle and die-cast chopper motorcycle he keeps for explaining alignment for those who want to learn.

Sorry for the long posting but caster seems to be the hardest part of an alignment to grasp and most misunderstood part.

Last edited by FogRunner; 10-20-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nicely explained!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experienced the same thing today driving my truck home after getting the lift installed. Needs an alignment real bad
Old 10-23-2009, 12:03 PM

Thanks!

fortunately w/the datsun 510 i have an above average understanding of all 3 angles.

Originally Posted by FogRunner
I'm betting you didn't have a full front end re-alignment done after the install and you have very little positive caster if any.
I.O.U.
BUSTED!

it was already sched for the 27th though

update afterwards.